Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   17 hmr marlin at walmart (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/17-hmr-marlin-walmart-24893/)

bigdaddy 03-20-2010 02:18 AM

17 hmr marlin at walmart

I was at my local walmart today and noticed they have a heavy barrel marlin bolt action 17 hmr for like $237.00. I have never owned a marlin bolt action gun do they build good ones? This seems like a very cheap price when compared to the ruger sitting beside it in 17hmr for $545.00 non heavy barrel. Is it too cheap ? do you think this would be a waste?has anyone got one of these marlins ? Are they good accurate rifles?

mwsfarm 03-20-2010 05:42 AM

I have the vssf model, heavy stainless fluted barrel. I love the rifle, they don't have the best trigger, but that can be fixed, i put a rifle basix trigger in mine- mine is deadly on gophers (ground squirrels) out to 200 yards, easy.

I am a marlin fan, always have been, mostly lever guns, but if you are looking to save a few bucks, I would probably suggest the .17hmr in savage. you can get the accutrigger, heavy barreled savage for about the same price as the marlin. they are accurate too, one of my employees has one-

I also love the .17hmr, in my area it is great for birds, jackrabbits, fox, gophers, and prairie dogs. it costs more to shoot than a 22, but its a lot more fun, and waaaaaaaaaaaaay more accurate.

good luck!

ROGER4314 03-20-2010 08:24 PM

Bonnie and I have fired the Marlin 917V rifles in 200 yard competition for about 6 years. At 200, my best score is 500/500 with 23X. I also shot a 499 with 28X. Bonnies best is a 499 out of 500. The "X" ring is about the size of a tennis ball so that means I hit it 23-28 times out of 50 rounds at 200 yards!

The rifles had Tasco 3-9x40 scopes. Mine have Rifle Basix triggers but hers is totally stock. Recently, I changed scopes on my rifles for more power. The cross hairs on the Tascos were also too thick to get the best accuracy. Bonnie shoots hers from a rest and I shoot prone from a bipod.

The rifle will shoot High Master scores right out of the box. I own 3- 917V's and one 917VS rifles and swear by them. We use Federal .17 HMR, 17 grain bullets with the poly tip. The hollow points don't shoot as accurately and we have not tried the 20 grain bullets. The Federals will do the job!

The original stocks are pretty crappy looking so I ordered replacement stocks from Marlin for a slightly different model. The laminated gray/black stock was just $89! An option is to paint the original stock black. That looks pretty good.

I'd buy another Marlin 917V today if I could justify having five of them!

When new, the barrels copper foul some so buy a GOOD quality one piece rod, brushes, patches and jags. Use Hoppes #9 or Butches Bore Shine and let it sit in the bore several hours between cleaning sessions. Put a patch in it, let it sit and come back between TV shows for another patch. Don't scrub it! When the patches come out without green color, you're done. New barrels have taken three days to clean properly. Later, the barrels break in and fouling is not a problem.

Have fun!

Flash

willfully armed 03-21-2010 02:20 AM

I have 3 Marlin lever guns, 1 semi auto, and long ago traded my Marlin 882SSV .22 mag for a pickup.

But 882 was the best 22 bolt gun Ive ever handled.

It doesnt matter the action, If its a Marlin, its a winner.

Gojubrian 03-21-2010 02:58 AM

I like the Marlin rifles. The ones at my local walmart have a tag hanging off that says "comes with extra 10rd CLIP." Someone should educate Marlin firearms. :rolleyes:

jpattersonnh 03-21-2010 08:13 PM

My M917V is finicky about ammo. Some 17gr shoot great, some 20gr shoot great. Good price and a fun rifle. 120 yards is about its' max for game, 150 is pushing it. Mine wears a Bushnell Trophy 3-12x42mmAO and it is a great little rig. Mine was $200.00 and the Scope was also $200.00.

big shrek 03-24-2010 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 254134)
My M917V is finicky about ammo. Some 17gr shoot great, some 20gr shoot great. Good price and a fun rifle. 120 yards is about its' max for game, 150 is pushing it. Mine wears a Bushnell Trophy 3-12x42mmAO and it is a great little rig. Mine was $200.00 and the Scope was also $200.00.

All Marlins are a little ammo-finicky, especially due to the Micro-Groove barrel...
but once you find out what they like...sub-MOA all day long :D

And...unless you live in a high-humidity area, don't clean the barrel very often...just the action after every shooting session.

jpattersonnh 03-24-2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big shrek (Post 256671)
All Marlins are a little ammo-finicky, especially due to the Micro-Groove barrel...

And...unless you live in a high-humidity area, don't clean the barrel very often...just the action after every shooting session.

You and I don't see eye to eye!

hunter Joe 03-24-2010 10:30 PM

Just remember if you buy it at Walmart you can't bring it back into the store. If you have issues with the firearm your going to have to pay an FFL to ship it back to Marlin.

Stop in at your local sporting goods store before you buy from Walmart, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Dcomf 03-26-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big shrek (Post 256671)

I don't believe the 17's come with a micro-groove barrel, standard 4 groove. The 22's come with micro-groove.