Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > .17 hmr or .22 wmr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8392 Times on 3630 Posts
Likes Given: 1293

Have the same Savage 93 that others have mentioned- thumbhole, heavy barrel. Shoots flatter than week old beer. Have actually gotten some 5 shot 1/4 inch groups at 100 yds.

Both the .22 mag and the .17 HMR are very destructive of meat on squirrels and rabbits- be very easy t do headshots. Accuracy of the .17 at extended ranges surprised me a lot.

As said, .17 HMR at wally World is $12/50 for CCI.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:19 PM   #12

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

First off nice profile pic!

Now to business. The .17hmr is going to be a little light for coyotes. It will work well for squirrels and rabbits though. The .22WMR will not be a whole lot better for coyotes, but will allow for a touch more margin for error. Both calibers are pretty plentiful, and are accurate at whatever distance you would want to take an animal at humanely. My personal reccomendation is the .22WMR, only because more rifles are chambered in that caliber.

If I were you, I would try to borrow a .17hmr and .22wmr from a buddy, or your LGS, and see what one you like better.

-Matt

Old 11-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #13

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueguns View Post
First off nice profile pic!

Now to business. The .17hmr is going to be a little light for coyotes. It will work well for squirrels and rabbits though. The .22WMR will not be a whole lot better for coyotes, but will allow for a touch more margin for error. Both calibers are pretty plentiful, and are accurate at whatever distance you would want to take an animal at humanely. My personal reccomendation is the .22WMR, only because more rifles are chambered in that caliber.

If I were you, I would try to borrow a .17hmr and .22wmr from a buddy, or your LGS, and see what one you like better.
+1 for the .22mag. I think its one of the best all around rounds from coyotes to rabbits and at the distance you are talking about the .22mag is more than capable and more than accurate. Wind can take a light .17hmr off its mark and it definatley is less hard hitting down range. Both are great rounds, but I would take a .22mag if given the choice.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19868 Times on 11284 Posts
Likes Given: 50082

shooting paper targets, i would suggest the 17 HMR. if wanting it for hunting, the 22 WMR i think would be the better choice. Hornady has brought out some ballistic tipped ammo for the 22 WMR now, so there's some good ammo for hunting.