Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > 10/22 Target Scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20074 Times on 11419 Posts
Likes Given: 50632

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan01 View Post
Locutus, I totally disagree with you (my opinion) about the "less than $250 is probably going to be junk"........I have had high dollar scopes and low dollar scopes........I have a couple of $70 scopes that have been great for a number of years and some of my high dollar scopes spent more time back at the factory than on my rifles.

When buying scopes do a little research and check the reviews......Establish what you want the scope to do for you then buy accordingly......I would rather toss a couple of cheap scopes than have a high dollar scope that is only good for one thing and has to be pampered.

Dan
i have to agree to a certain point, and the reason is, optical glass has come a long way in the last ten years, as they have become much more affordable. there was a time when you had to spend big bucks for a good scope to be able to see clearly. on most hunting rifles you can get a decent scope for less than $300. on a rimfire even less than $100 will get you a decent scope. now if you step up to hunting longer that the average range and need larger magnification in a scope such as longe range varmint shooting or do a lot of precision target shooting or shoot larger caliber magnums, you might be better off spending $500 plus for a qaulity scope. i paid $280 for my Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 that i put on my 25-06 and it works great. but i will also always suggest to buy the best you can afford. if you can afford a $500 or more for you rifle, then buy the best in that price range.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #12

Liked 212 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I like the idea of buying the best but what real matters is many a low cost scopes have worked and worked well for decades. I have a nice burris black diamond sitting on a shelf for the time that a first year simons atec gives up. Problem is I can still shot 2" groups at 400 yards with it some 20 to 24 years after buyng it. Same goes for a centerpoint scope. My wifes is very repetable between 25 yards and 100 yards . Way to many guys are useing mueller apvs for a 150 dollar scope that also works great. No need of a 300 dollar + scope on any .22 unless your shooting world class with it. Then $500 scope is junk.

Last edited by hardluk1; 05-13-2012 at 11:26 PM.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5217 Times on 2974 Posts
Likes Given: 4453

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan01 View Post
Locutus, I totally disagree with you (my opinion) about the "less than $250 is probably going to be junk"........I have had high dollar scopes and low dollar scopes........I have a couple of $70 scopes that have been great for a number of years and some of my high dollar scopes spent more time back at the factory than on my rifles.

When buying scopes do a little research and check the reviews......Establish what you want the scope to do for you then buy accordingly......I would rather toss a couple of cheap scopes than have a high dollar scope that is only good for one thing and has to be pampered.

Dan
Well Dan,

We all have different experiences in life, and we make our decisions based on those experiences. That's why there are so many choices available.

If you have good luck with low cost scopes, more power to you. I wish I could find a lower cost one that I wouldn't regret buying, but so far, I haven't.

Golda Meier.