Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > 10-22 target/hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 12:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 10-22 target/hunt

I figured I would post up one of my .22's
It's a Ruger 10-22K with a Fajen thumbhole, and Simmons 2.8x10x44. I know the scope is overkill, but I like having the ability to see a fly on a fence poast 100yds away. It holds fair groups at 100yds, and 1/4" groups at 50yds. I have actually taken it skeet shooting before. It turned out to be very versatile, other than it not liking cheap ammo. I only run CCI mini mag, or stingers through it. The bulk stuff seems to cause a misload about every 5-6rds.

NEVER argue with an IDIOT!!!
They will only drag you down to their level,
and then beat you with experience!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-09-2009, 05:21 AM   #2

Default Here is my 10/22..

It has the Factory hammer forged barrel. The stock was an unfinished Fajen stock, so I finished sanding it and put several coats of linseed oil. Then coated it with 8-10 coats of clear, then used wax to polish it. I added a Volquarten target trigger with over travel stop. A Volquarten sear, hammer and dissconnetor, and Volquarten muzzle brake. Barrel and all internal parts are moly coated. I also added a Volquarten barrel mount scope mount. Extended mag release and bolt stop. It has a 6x24x42mm Tasco scope, kind of over kill on the scope but you can take the tops of plastic coke bottles at 100yrds. It will hole a .25 group at 25yrds, .50 at 50 yrds and about an 1.5in at 100yrds...I have a Harris bi-pod for it as well...I put about 1000.00 into the gun but it was my 1st build up and I went all out. It is a great target gun and is an excellent squirrle gun to. It likes Federal hi-vel, the 550 bulk pack kind and it likes Rem Sub-sonic rounds as well. It does not like 25 round mags, I have tried them all. It just does not seat properly in the mag well, the factory 10 rounders work great....I did all the work myself, got books videos and all I could find on it. I did my own tigger job but made it too light and it was less than 1lbs...So I had to buy a new one...I have had a bunch of my buddies shoot it and they love it and want one too. It is a great gun and was easy to work on and and fun to build..The only thing I hate to do is remove the Ejector, I shot the spring and plunger across the room and never found them...So I had to order a new one..That is the only thing that I think is a pain, I know now they make a tool to hold it in place while you remove the ejector...

ruger1022.jpg  

Old 09-09-2009, 05:24 AM   #3

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock17TJ View Post
It has the Factory hammer forged barrel. The stock was an unfinished Fajen stock, so I finished sanding it and put several coats of linseed oil. Then coated it with 8-10 coats of clear, then used wax to polish it. I added a Volquarten target trigger with over travel stop. A Volquarten sear, hammer and dissconnetor, and Volquarten muzzle brake. Barrel and all internal parts are moly coated. I also added a Volquarten barrel mount scope mount. Extended mag release and bolt stop. It has a 6x24x42mm Tasco scope, kind of over kill on the scope but you can take the tops of plastic coke bottles at 100yrds. It will hole a .25 group at 25yrds, .50 at 50 yrds and about an 1.5in at 100yrds...I have a Harris bi-pod for it as well...I put about 1000.00 into the gun but it was my 1st build up and I went all out. It is a great target gun and is an excellent squirrle gun to. It likes Federal hi-vel, the 550 bulk pack kind and it likes Rem Sub-sonic rounds as well. It does not like 25 round mags, I have tried them all. It just does not seat properly in the mag well, the factory 10 rounders work great....I did all the work myself, got books videos and all I could find on it. I did my own tigger job but made it too light and it was less than 1lbs...So I had to buy a new one...I have had a bunch of my buddies shoot it and they love it and want one too. It is a great gun and was easy to work on and and fun to build..The only thing I hate to do is remove the Ejector, I shot the spring and plunger across the room and never found them...So I had to order a new one..That is the only thing that I think is a pain, I know now they make a tool to hold it in place while you remove the ejector...
That stock is emaculate! Nice work man.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 09-10-2009, 06:06 AM   #4

I came so close to going all out on this 10-22, but I caught myself. I love your stock, and have had a few rifles with nice stocks, but I decided to keep mine as basic as possible. If I drop mine in the pond shooting at beavers, I could care less. There's nothing special to worry about. Just clean her off , and go back to shooting.

BTW: Yes that has happened with a few of my other guns. Twice with the same shotgun while duck hunting.
Not a hot idea to rest your gun on the edge of the boat with dogs coming in and out of the water!

Old 09-11-2009, 05:23 AM   #5

I carry my gun everywhere...It goes in the woods hunting with me or to the creek to shoot snakes...I usedit for everything...I got one little ding on the stock but it's really small and no one would see it unless I pointed it out to them. I just try to be careful and I don't let many people carry it around. If they do they are usually scared to death of messing it up. I can fix it if it gets scratched up...I was really happy with it and after moly coating all the parts and barrel it shoots really better than I thought it would. I plan on building another one..This time I have a folding stock had a factory barrel cut down with 1/2-28 threads. That will let me use my AR-15 comp on it..I will have pics of it in a few weeks..I am going to try my best to trick it out..may even go camo...

Old 09-11-2009, 07:16 AM   #6

I have a mini 14 that I'm about to start building.
ATI strikeforce stock, light, laser, illuminated scope, holographic sight, and anything else I can imagine. I already got a the foregrip, light, and laser. I'll get a stock by the end of the month, and go from there. I looked at the stocks for 10-22's, but ican't find one i like for tactical use. I hear bad things about tapco, and just plain dont like the butler creek style folders. Never had any luck out of high cap. mags for 10-22's either. I have 4 butler 25rnd mag's and would rather use the 4 or 5 factory 10rnd mag's. I saw some machined aluminum mags one time, but the price made me shy away. They were about $80 per 25rnd mag.