Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > 10/22 receiver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default 10/22 receiver

I have a build I need to finish. Its nothing special but its got an 18" fluted barrel with fiber optic sights on it and a hogue overmould rubberized stock. Just needs a plain oem receiver on it.

I also have a 10/22 on a stockystocks thumbhole stock, and a 28" green mountain rifle barrel. It has an oem receiver on it. I want to swap this receiver onto the other unfinished build mentioned above and get something a little better aftermarket for it.

The only problem is that to get an aftermarket receiver and trigger assembly ill be way more than just buying a 10/22 gun and stealing the receiver.

So what If I were to buy a stripped receiver on gunbroker for like the 125 they run. Can I get all upgraded and internal parts to make it perform better? Is the after market receiver even worth the cost? What about all the extras? Should I just buy the gun and be done with it? But the problem is I dont want to spend 300 dollars just on a trigger set. These get so expensive so quick and I wont be competing with it. I would like a 200 yard .22 though. Kinda what I am going for out of this one. Not worried about going sub 1 moa because it is an auto loader...

Sorry I dont know much about the aftermarket performance stuff on these guns!

I guess if someone could just post up some links on where to buy some semi cheap performance stuff. Dont need the best by any means but better than oem I guess. After looking at receivers, trigger sets and internals ill be at 500-600 real easy. Is there a cheaper way to do this? Honestly for that I would just buy a new gun.

Last edited by ArrizX; 01-09-2013 at 08:57 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1345 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 453

A 10/22 right out of the box with plain old CCI mini mags will shoot a half inch group at 50 yards on a calm day. How much improvement do you expect from all this work? A Volquartsen trigger upgrade will make the gun more consistent. A recoil buffer will help get off another shot a little faster.

Maybe you should save your money for a target rifle. Semi auto rifles are very accurate but no matter how much money you throw at a semi auto it will never be as accurate as a well made bolt action right out of the box. The difference is only going to be a quarter inch.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #3

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

and I'll add that the majority of those $125 receivers are 80% builds. which means that you need a drill press, the right size bits and maybe even a jig to complete the drilling. If you do find a non-oem spec receiver ready to go for $125 let us all know. I can't even find a new or decent used 10/22 on a shelf right now (in Texas) that is less than $300.

BTW.. these completed receivers do require an FFL transfer

Old 01-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #4

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

When I got my 10/22, it was with the intention to totally rebuild it. I used the factory receiver and put in a GM barrel, Kidd trigger, CDC bolt all in a Hogue stock. I had enough parts left over to build a new gun, except for the receiver. I found a place that had what they claimed were Ruger factory receivers. I got one and built up another gun. I haven’t even gotten around to firing the new one yet. The rebuilt one works great. The only thing I had to do to either receiver was drill a hole for a cleaning rod. I like to use a plastic coated Parker Hale cleaning rod from the breach.

The 10/22 is different from many rifles. With the addition of a heavy barrel, you really can’t cantilever it off the light aluminum receiver, but instead bed the barrel and float the receiver. When doing that, the structural integrity of the receiver is much less important than it would be otherwise. So the bottom line is, you may do just fine with a factory or factory type receiver. Even with that, I would still like to try making one with a stiff, preferably steel, receiver and see how well it works.