10/22 question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > 10/22 question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 10/22 question

I have a friend that wants a quiet rabbit gun, so obviously a suppressor is needed. My question is do the 10/22 have any cycling problems or anything with a suppressor added? I know it will still crack and everything but it should be much quieter than unsuppressed . Will it be worth it though?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-28-2011, 12:54 AM   #2

also I'm sure this has been asked but I couldn't find anything when I looked

Old 07-28-2011, 01:16 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I'd probably just buy some CCI sub-sonic ammo rather than deal with the ATF on a suppressor. I use the CCI sub-sonic for squirrel hunting and it is noticably quieter than the regular velocity ammo.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:29 AM   #4

I'll have him try that first. I already going to be getting one for my AR so I figured he could just do it same time as I got mine

Old 07-28-2011, 03:35 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Supressors generally improve reliabilty of function.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I would reccomend a Bolt action 22 and use 22 cb shorts. It will almost be as quiet as a pellet rifle and much more accurate.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey View Post
I'll have him try that first. I already going to be getting one for my AR so I figured he could just do it same time as I got mine
Unless something has changed in the last 10 years, If you purchase, register & obtain a suppressor you're allowed to use it on any firearm it will work on, i.e. a .223 rifle and .22 rifle. Unlike a short barreled rifle, short barreled shotgun or fully automatic weapon the suppressor itself is what your registering, not a particular firearm.

As far as your friend wanting a quiet rabbit gun like others have suggested I'd go with sub-sonic rounds. A longer barrel helps dampen the report with sub-sonic rounds too.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #8

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

Using shorts is also a heck of a lot cheaper than buying your stamp and supressor.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:13 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Suppressor for rabbits? Are you afraid they are going to shoot back? Might want a ghille suit too. LOL JK. Yea some sub-sonic ammo should do.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:12 AM   #10
SoL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

wow, i suppose I should consider myself lucky.
NZ gun laws allow any suppression of any firearm, you can buy 22 suppressors over the counter for about $30+.

I have always used a Ruger 10/22 with a .22wmr suppressor using CCI subsonics and it's never thrown up "I AM REFUSING TO FEED"" problems, it just makes sod all more noise than a click and the THLUP of the action.

also, silenced bunny shooting is amazing, if you (god forbid :P) screw up and miss you have a couple of free follow up shots before they get spooked but mainly it's being able to gun down a group of them without them scarpering from the report. I've had some very memorable multikills thanks to this (and the fact that rabbits dont look in trees).

that being said though, the rabbit concentrations being what they are where we shoot, it is not unheard of to simply shoot a rabbit and get a smaller one that was obliviously sitting behind it, or taking out more than 1-2 rabbits with single shotgun blasts.

I couldnt possibly overstate how ridiculous our rabbits are here.

Last edited by SoL; 07-30-2011 at 06:17 AM.