Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > 10/22 Misfires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5120 Times on 2666 Posts
Likes Given: 310

if its been doing it from the get go the worst case is the reciever is not to spec. or the barrel may not be tightened down correctly when it was assembled.

you can try removing the barrel cleaning the chamber area and inspect the reciever area where the barrel goes in for burrs.

its cheap and free. might try that first.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #12

Ok, Ill check it out. Thanks

Old 01-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Maybe just send your trigger group to Stalkingbear for a trigger job and have him replace the hammer spring while he's already in there.
Just a thought

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 01-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #14
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1661 Times on 905 Posts
Likes Given: 529

Try flushing out the bolt with brake cleaner or gun scrubber. You may have gunk built upin there.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Most of us that have had 10/22's for any length of time have switched out our stock hammers for the target hammer made by companies like Volquartsen and Power Custom. Gun Kings has them for $33.95 right now with free shipping. It takes about 15 minutes to swap them out if you take your time. It comes with a new hammer spring. It takes your 6lb. trigger pull down to about 3lbs.

http://www.gunkings.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=71_67&zenid=uhvfn1 vm000ulmp7aug46oc7i3

Here's a instructional piece on how to do the procedure:

<Your New ruger 10/22>

It also may be helpful in showing you how to disassemble the rifle so you can check everything out and lubricate it.

I agree that your barrel may not be seated all the way into the receiver and that may be why the firing pin isn't hitting the shell hard enough. Check it out.

Good luck with your 10/22, they are fun rifles to have and shoot.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurdaJ View Post
Hi, Ive had misfire issues with my 10/22 since I bought it. It usually happens at least once every 10rd clip, sometimes up to 4 times. The problem seems to be that the firing pin isn't hitting hard enough to cause the round to go off; the dent made is noticeably shallower than the rest of our .22s. The unspent rounds will always fire in our other guns.

Everyone I have talked to has never had/heard of any issues with 10/22s. Ive kept it cleaned, but not overly oiled. Ive also tried every brand of 22lr I could get my hands on. After a summer of testing, I found slightly better performance from Remington rounds, but still no where near perfect.

I had hoped that the mechanism needed time to break in and loosen up, but its been a few years now so Im sure its pretty broken in.

Are there any fixes I can do myself? Id rather not pay someone to try to figure it out, Im a DIY type of guy.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Your hammer spring is too light for the ammo you use. Either put a stiffer hammer spring in, or a new trigger assembly. All ammo should fire reliably in your 10 22.

You can also TAPER your firing pin so it penetrates the rim deeper (that's what I did to fix the problem on mine). I never had another mis-fire since then.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Maybe just send your trigger group to Stalkingbear for a trigger job and have him replace the hammer spring while he's already in there.
Just a thought
Im new here so Im guessing Stalkingbear is a member on here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Try flushing out the bolt with brake cleaner or gun scrubber. You may have gunk built upin there.
Trust me, Ive cleaned the **** out of it with solvents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Most of us that have had 10/22's for any length of time have switched out our stock hammers for the target hammer made by companies like Volquartsen and Power Custom. Gun Kings has them for $33.95 right now with free shipping. It takes about 15 minutes to swap them out if you take your time. It comes with a new hammer spring. It takes your 6lb. trigger pull down to about 3lbs.

http://www.gunkings.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=71_67&zenid=uhvfn1 vm000ulmp7aug46oc7i3

Here's a instructional piece on how to do the procedure:

<Your New ruger 10/22>

It also may be helpful in showing you how to disassemble the rifle so you can check everything out and lubricate it.

I agree that your barrel may not be seated all the way into the receiver and that may be why the firing pin isn't hitting the shell hard enough. Check it out.

Good luck with your 10/22, they are fun rifles to have and shoot.
Thanks! Thats definitely an upgrade I will be doing soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
Your hammer spring is too light for the ammo you use. Either put a stiffer hammer spring in, or a new trigger assembly. All ammo should fire reliably in your 10 22.

You can also TAPER your firing pin so it penetrates the rim deeper (that's what I did to fix the problem on mine). I never had another mis-fire since then.
Ill take a look and see where I may be able to mod it to hit deeper, do you have pics of what you did?

Old 01-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurdaJ View Post
Im new here so Im guessing Stalkingbear is a member on here?
Yes sir, one of the most knowledgeable and respected members here at FTF.
Check out his thread and maybe shoot him a PM about your light strike problem
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f53/ruger-10-22-trigger-groups-professionally-reworked-19201/

Not saying you need to get the trigger job to fix your problem, was just suggesting it since if you ever thought about improving your trigger pull you could kill two birds with one stone.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 01-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #19

just read that thread, thats probably the route Ill end up taking. Like you said, two birds with one stone

Thanks everyone

Old 01-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It seems to me like most of the Ruger 10/22's I have ever shot had a similar problem. Has anyone eever had a problem with them double feeding or trying to strip the next round from the magazine half way up the round and then jamming the bullet into the face of the feed ramp?