Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > 10-22 itac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 10-22 itac

Bought a Ruger 10-22 ITAC, stainless with folding/adjustable ATI stock at gun show recently. Read a lot of good reviews on the 10-22 and expected it to function like my SW 15-22. Some issues though:
* if you like iron sights this isn't the gun for you--difficult to get anything to work without a lot of experimentation
* You have to push each round into the mag--not like pulling down on the sides like the MP15.
* round has to seat slightly upward or you get fail to feeds
* my biggest concern is FTEs--expended round gets stuck on the way out about every 5th to 10th round (tried different ammos)
* does not shoot everything well like the MP15
* aftermarket mags work even poorer
Is it worth going for the Volqaurtsen extractor?
I actually like the gun despite all this. Got some HC3R mags and also have gotten more used to the BX25s. Made my own front sight which is working well. (got some rail mount sights on order--need low front/high back) It's very accurate with a red dot or scope.
Any suggestions on performance improvements appreciated.thx

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have two 10/22's that are very reliable w/their 10 round box magazines. I have a TI-25 mag for my TEC-22, it has adjustable metal feed lips so you can change the feed angle, which seems to actually work in that POS gun. I also have a Lage .22 conversion for my M11/9 that uses 40 round Black Dog mags. It's a single-stack mag, so you have to load each round individually to get them to cross-stack correctly or they will not feed properly. After every 5 rounds, I slap the back of the magazine & continue, after all rounds are loaded, I slap the bottom of the magazine, which really helps the rounds pop-up at the correct angle. I have to dissasemble them & wash in soapy water (they're plastic) to maintain reliability.

Make sure your chamber is clean. I was having a FTE problem also, I made a 90 degree angle brass brush that makes it easier to clean the chamber out good. Most .22's have a wax lube, which doesn't help. Don't over lube the area either.

I installed the VQ Exact Edge extractors in at least 2 of the above guns, I couldn't really tell any difference. It's fairly inexpensive & easy, so why not? The main thing to check is that there's not any burrs/edges on the extractor or slot.

If you can find them, get some CCI Mini-Mags & see how they run.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:08 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I'm going to be nice as possible on this as I can, I have a ruger 10/22 carbine and I wouldn't trade it for the world, I trust that gun with my life, when I first got it it kinda jammed a couple times and took some breaking in to get it perfect, the aftermarket mags Absoltutley suck ass, ruger makes 10, 25 and the double 25 rounds mags, those are the best you can get, they are made perfect to fit that gun, I use iron sights and I can engage anything from 50 ft, to 200 yards without touching the sight, that takes practice, and yes you might have to experiment with the gun to find the right combo but once you find the right one it's a dream, I got a volquartsen trigger and it's adream, that's the only thing I changed on it, it's a work horse that hasn't jammed or give me any problems for the past 10,000 rounds, it honestly takes just some getting used to, hoped it helped, have fun

Old 12-31-2013, 05:41 PM   #4

I put the VQ extractor in and ran 125 rounds through today. Much better, but I'm still getting several fail to ejects where the spent casing gets stuck on the way out (less then half than with the stock extractor). Tried different ammos and didn't seem to make much diff. Would changing the guide rod spring help any? If so, should it be softer or stiffer? (Use common HV ammo).
Did find some good aluminum AR type sights on the rails that adjusted enough to be accurate.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:29 AM   #5

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I have 2 10/22's and once I got the sights adjusted it is extremely accurate. I have Ruger 10 and 25rd mags, two butler creek steel lipped mags, and they all work just fine and I haven't had any issues with any of them. At 50yrds I can hit a drink can with every shot which I consider not to hard to do, especially with my ruger 10/22.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:37 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

plastic magazines need to be washed in hot water and dish washing liquid. I recently bought two 32 round promag magazines for $10. The seller said they were junk. I washed the magazines and they are totally acceptable. If you are shooting bulk ammo only a bolt action is going to run perfectly. My hearing isn't the best. Yet I can hear the powder load varies with bulk ammo. Not to mention all the bullets that are sitting crooked in the case. Considering bulk ammo is just as expensive as premium ammo I don't think I will buy any bulk ammo once my current supply runs out.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1278 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

FlyBuddy, I have owned several Ruger 10/22 over the years and I can tell you from decades of experience that they should work pretty much flawlessly after 200-300 rounds to work the kinks out. If you have gone through multiple magazines, multiple types of ammunition and you've done a few hundred rounds, my advice before spending any more money on it would be to box it up and ship it back to Ruger with four or five EMPTY casings that you had to manually remove after a FTE. It could be any number of things, but my Rugers always fed from their rotary original factory magazine flawlessly, save one. It had been bored incorrectly and had a bad magazine! Ruger had it back in under two weeks and it worked without a hitch after that.

My advice is make sure the manufacturer says it's built correctly FIRST, then start adding parts to upgrade it. Until you know it's correct from the factory, there's no telling if anything added will fix it.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 01-02-2014, 11:07 PM   #8

Thx for the replies..I'm going to try one more set using CCI mini HVs only in the BX25 mags. If I still get FTEs, I'll save them and call Ruger.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #9

Just a follow up..finally got back to range and ran off 4 magazines with 3 different type ammos (mostly CCI). Much better, only had a couple of FTEs. The VQ extractor may have helped but I think it's simply the recoil spring starts out a bit too strong, cycles too quickly and snags an occasional empty on the way out. As TK stated, once you run 200 to 300 rounds through it the function becomes nearly flawless, probably as the recoil spring tension reduces through use. thx for replies