10/22 ‘Iron’sights?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > 10/22 ‘Iron’sights?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1737 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Default 10/22 ‘Iron’sights?

I picked up my 10/22 TD on Friday & played with it late Friday night.

The stock sights may be good for someone, I guess, but not for me. It has a tiny brass button on the blade that doesn’t look like anything unless the firing line lights are on as well as the target lights, and even then it’s not very apparent over a black bull.

So I spent some time Saturday wandering around the web and it seems the Tech Sights and the Williams sights are the favored options, unless you want to get really surgical, in which case I don’t think you’d be putting them on a stock 10/22 anyway.

I really like the idea of the Williams FireSight peep sights with the front fiber optic dot that ‘lights up’ and is easy to see. If you remove the aperture, you have a basic ghost ring too. ‘Brandon 401401’ uses it that way but I don’t think he even needs sights. I think he just pretends to use them so we don’t feel bad. I have heard the fiber optic dot covers small targets at the further distances.

The Tech Sight is also very popular. I’m thinking the 100. I don’t think you can get fiber optic post for it, but it has a thinner post, I think, I’m not sure.

Maybe you use a 6 o'clock hold for all targets and it doesn't matter?

The rifle was bought to practice with standing off hand and other position shots, without optics, up to about 100y. We have an indoor range that’s 50’, and the club has a sportier rifle match that runs through the winter (Which I haven’t been to yet.) so I’ll probably be using it indoors during the cold, as well as on multiple targets at different distances on the outdoor range on the nicer days.

So, anybody have experience with both sights? Not too many on the forums have. Which would you think would be most appropriate, given my use? Why?

Also; Does anybody have experience with ‘Walking Targets’? I mean the metal ones for 22lr, not the zombies. How do you like them?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-15-2012, 12:44 AM   #2

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 229

I like fiber optic front sights with rear peep sights. You can paint the bead on your existing front sight and that might be enough for you. I have used the white correction fluid(for white) on sights and I have smoked sights (for black).

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:59 AM   #3

Liked 206 Times on 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall
I like fiber optic front sights with rear peep sights. You can paint the bead on your existing front sight and that might be enough for you. I have used the white correction fluid(for white) on sights and I have smoked sights (for black).
I used testers model paint on my muzzle loader about 30 years ago. It is still there as good as the first day. I painted the rear sight green and the upper part of the front blade white and under that yellow for the over 150 yard shots.has worked great even now that my eyesight is not as good

Old 10-15-2012, 01:57 AM   #4

Liked 1737 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
I like fiber optic front sights with rear peep sights. . . . . etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol View Post
I used testers model paint on my muzzle loader about 30 years ago. . . . . etc.
PAINT. Now that’s an idea.

Your rear sights, they’re still the notched stock ones mounted at the rear of the barrel, or have youse increased the radius with sights mounted on the back of the receiver?

Old 10-15-2012, 02:09 AM   #5

My rear sight is stock at rear of. Barrel just at the point where they are still close enough to still be fuzzy with my deteriorating eye sight. My arms have now gotten to short to read anything but very large bold print. And if I've had too much sugar I can't read that.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:11 AM   #6

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I use fingernail polish on my open sights so I can change colors for the season. White is great in the summer time but white sucks in the snow. In the fall almost any color can get lost in the colorful fall foliage, so I use hot pink in the fall.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-15-2012, 02:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
I use fingernail polish on my open sights so I can change colors for the season. White is great in the summer time but white sucks in the snow. In the fall almost any color can get lost in the colorful fall foliage, so I use hot pink in the fall.
Don't shoot at the snow, the white shows up good on the side of a deer

Old 10-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have the Williams Ace in the Hole sights. I like them a lot. but be sure and put the screws in with lock tight.