10/22 help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > 10/22 help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default 10/22 help

I only own a pistol and want a rifle. So please exuse my newbie questions. I've determined I want the ruger 10/22. That being said the only one I can find is a terribly ugly finish. Is it possible for me to modify that into a normal wood finish. And if so how expensive would it be ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2292 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 669

Yes you can change the finish on the wood stock. You would have to strip the finish, stain and refinish with one of several finishes out there. Personally I like Tung Oil. It is relatively inexpensive, probably less than $20. You can also get a nice finished stock in several different styles and colors from Boyds for about $100. I dont think there is a limit on how you can modify a 10-22.
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:47 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Oh cool. So I can buy a new stock and replace the entire thing changing the whole body of it?

Old 02-05-2013, 04:20 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It's easy to switch stocks on a 10/22.

Ruger LC9 carry
Springfield XD(m) 5.25 9mm
Springfield XD(m) 3.8" 9mm compact
S&W M&P 22
S&W M&P 9
Various black powder and collector guns

Old 02-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Default 10-22 Ruger

There really isn't much on a Ruger 10-22 that you can't change. Heres pictures of two of mine. As you can see, nothing much was left stock. I have a 3rd one but it has the full length laminated stock so I left it that way.

img_2779.jpg   img_2780.jpg  

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 02-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #6

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

yes you can easily swap stocks. just remove the front band and the mount screw from underneath and off it comes. you can go ABS-black or get a custom wood stock, or even a little better factory. pretty much what ever floats your boat.

i got a real nice stock from rhineland arms for a PSL. I saw their rimfire stocks and plan on upgrading my plastic butler creek one with one of theirs. I believe that you can get one finished from them but I prefer to complete the finish myself. here's the link to their homepage: http://www.troupsystems.com/index.htm

whichever way you go just remember to maintain the overall length requirement as some kits require a longer barrel to maintain the requirement. I believe stock length barrel is 18 1/2" and it is ok but 16" aftermarket may push you under the (I think) 24" OAL minimums

Good luck and enjoy

Old 02-05-2013, 11:33 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyjoe_99
yes you can easily swap stocks. just remove the front band and the mount screw from underneath and off it comes. you can go ABS-black or get a custom wood stock, or even a little better factory. pretty much what ever floats your boat.

i got a real nice stock from rhineland arms for a PSL. I saw their rimfire stocks and plan on upgrading my plastic butler creek one with one of theirs. I believe that you can get one finished from them but I prefer to complete the finish myself. here's the link to their homepage: http://www.troupsystems.com/index.htm

whichever way you go just remember to maintain the overall length requirement as some kits require a longer barrel to maintain the requirement. I believe stock length barrel is 18 1/2" and it is ok but 16" aftermarket may push you under the (I think) 24" OAL minimums

Good luck and enjoy
Sweet. Thanks a lot. I'm probably gonna buy the rifle I can get then swap it with an aftermarket stock.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Oh go ahead and buy it, and watch it become your favorite. I just purchased a beautiful walnut stock for mine, 135.00 like said already it was a simple 5 minute install.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:45 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Oh go ahead and buy it, and watch it become your favorite. I just purchased a beautiful walnut stock for mine, 135.00 like said already it was a simple 5 minute install.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:41 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStrong
Did you get it online? If so what website?