Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   10/22 / general semi-auto bolt question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/10-22-general-semi-auto-bolt-question-38671/)

SoL 02-19-2011 04:57 AM

10/22 / general semi-auto bolt question

i was using my ruger the last few nights to shoot possums in a forestry block adjacent to a semi-rural/residential area.
Completely legal in terms of shooting laws, there is VERY little wind there and even with a large suppressor the CCI Sunbsonics I need to cycle the 10/22's action are quite loud and noticeable from a suprising range.
SO not wanting to bother or wake up any residents I switched to the winchester super X which is much quieter but will not cycle the action.

I am happy with the more or less bolt-action-style of cocking after each firing, but being that the bolt isnt locked in place it does half feeds and jams up due to the bolt traveling back varying distances.

AND SO MY QUESTION

Like the M1As gas piston ability to switch between semi-auto and this pseudo-bolt-action mode, is it possible for me to make some kind of mechanism to hold the bolt shut hereby minimising the sound created by the shot?
obviously the CAN is down to my engineering skills but I mean IS IT POSSIBLE TO HOLD THE BOLT SHUT while firing the 10/22 without it causing damage or any issues.

I just dont want to risk myself or the rifle, so information would be great.

SoL 02-19-2011 07:53 AM

and if anyone says GET A BOLT ACTION I will come to your house and cut.

i have a bolt action, but it keeps its long barrel,
my 10/22 is incredibly carbinated.

like dr pepper, i mean not.

danf_fl 02-19-2011 08:04 AM

I would not want to attempt it.
For every action, there is a reaction. If the bullet has (and I'm guessing), 24 FPE, then that is what force would be on the bolt it held rigid.

Springs absorb the energy.

SoL 02-19-2011 09:04 AM

yeah, wasnt sure if the .22 had the guts to take the blast.
obviously the M1A has to be pretty beefy to take it straight from factory, but that's why we love ex military rifles.

stalkingbear 02-19-2011 09:48 AM

It wouldn't lock the bolt closed but you could use a recoil spring from a 10/17 .17hm2 conversion. It would keep it from cycling when using subsonics however.

SoL 02-19-2011 02:52 PM

a sound idea, friend.

But I was hoping to make something i could just flick on and off.

Such dreams were not meant to be, I think I'll just get a cheap bolt-action and cut it fairly short.

Thanks guys

rifleman55 02-19-2011 05:34 PM

Do you have the recoil buffer behide the bolt instead of the metal pin Ruger puts in, it helps quiet them down some.
No reason you could not use a haevier recoil spring and cycle by hand, it would not hurt anything, it's just a blow back action.

John K

SoL 02-20-2011 07:18 AM

carapedosagesa

I have failed my quest

M14sRock 02-20-2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoL (Post 449351)
carapedosagesa

I have failed my quest

But you are a better man for questing....:p

JTJ 02-20-2011 05:46 PM

Mickey Mouse quick fix. A properly sized rubber band or bungee looped over the barrel to the bolt handle.:D I tried it with a bungee and it works.