Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > 10/22 function with low noise/ std. vel. ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2014, 11:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default 10/22 function with low noise/ std. vel. ammo

Does anyone know how to get a 10/22 to function with low noise ammo? I have a 10/22 take down with a threaded barrel. Only HV ammo makes it work. when I mount my suppressor, it won't load…? Wondering if there's a fix, a reliable fix for this malady ?

Actually, my 22/45 lite works just fine with the low noise and suppressor mounted…, Huh, go figger…

Last edited by J-McLean; 05-29-2014 at 11:12 PM. Reason: just added to it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-29-2014, 11:56 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5316 Times on 2775 Posts
Likes Given: 335

lighter recoil spring.

not sure where you would find a premade one.

if you decide to clip coils get a new one first, in case you clip too much.

once you get it set you might get another recoil rod assembly since you shouldnt use a weaker spring with hv loads. it will beat the snot out of your receiver running the spring light with hv ammo.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 06-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Both of my 10/22's function with subsonic ammo when suppressed. They are not TD models however, so I don't know if it's sprung differently. They both have new triggers, hammers, springs, extractors from VQ & PC - not sure if those mods would effect cycling or not.

CCI standard velocity & subsonic HP are rated at 1070/1050 FPS, I don't think the low noise ammo has enough energy to cycle the bolt. Maybe lube your gun up good & fire a couple hundred rounds of HV ammo thru it, unsuppressed to see if that loosens it up some. Other people have got their TD's to run suppressed, so you know it's possible. Check your bolt & make sure there's not a burr/sharp edge slowing it down. CCI subsonic HP's have a driving band on them so they fit in the chamber tighter, maybe the increased back-pressure helps cycling?

Old 06-02-2014, 09:49 PM   #4

Liked 198 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 147

My takedown cycles reliably with low velocity ammo. Both suppressed and unsuppressed. Stock spring seems to work fine. Mine was trigger jobbed, internal polished and new folding stock before it was fired, so your experience may vary....

Check for rough spots on the bottom of the bolt where it rides over the hammer. Also try to cycle the bolt back and forth without the trigger group in. If it feels rough polish the inside of the reciever. The factory castings are notorious for rough finish on the inside causing problems. They smooth out if you just fire it, or just utube for a vid showing how to polish one. Takes about an hour with 600 through1000 grit wet and dry and a wood sanding block. Easy job with a big payoff in reliability....:beer:

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 06-03-2014 at 12:26 AM.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:41 AM   #5
hmh

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

I run nothing but cci subsonic hp in my 10/22 td suppressed no problem. I also polish the internals on every gun I own.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #6

Liked 195 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I use CCI only when suppressing and haven't had a FTF yet. Keep it clean.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #7

Likes Given: 2

Yeah, this gun is Brand New and it does need broke in. It's the first actual 'New' 10/22 I've ever owned. I have three others but they we're all used and well broken in. They all function with 'low noise'. No threaded barrels though. I think I just jumped to a conclusion… I had waited so long for the suppressor paperwork that I just thought it would work when I first screwed it on. The 'take down' hadn't been shot at all because of 'lack of ammo' issues so I probably do need to do some polishing and cleaning as well as shooting it more. It works fine with H.V. ammo but the suppressor isn't as quiet.
Thanks to One and All for the responses'. Everyone is very helpful and kind.

By the way, my new 22/45 worked with the suppressor and 'low noise' right out of the box. Another rifle I have, a Marlin Mod. 56 with a threaded barrel works with the suppressor very well also...

Old 06-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 328 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 149

A custom 10/22 should be used but the only way to make sure it just by a pack of sub sonics and take er' to the range! Lighter springs may be needed because the round pushes the bolt back (blowback action).

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 06-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #9

Liked 211 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Kidds makes a recoil spring kit with a light spring . Its bordline to work with cci Quiet ammo but works fine with regular standard velocity ammo . My wifes 10/22 rifle has a '70's recoil spring in it that does run fine with the cci quiet and standard velocity ammo. Nether of use use high or hyper velocity ammo . Both rifles are full customs. I have no interest in a suppressor so no opinion. Fine a old warn out spring or buy KIDD kit and you can try the lightest spring or start trimming a spring 1 half coil at a time till its reliable.