10/22 barrel advice - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > 10/22 barrel advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2008, 08:28 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

as you might be able figure out i live in Sweden, and the ammo selection here is quite spares, but i will look around and try some difrent brands an loads to see witch works the best. Sadly tax and fees here in sweden puts the price of ammo,guns and parts to twice the US price.
but... guns is my thing and even if it will cost me my soul i will hand it over.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:04 PM   #12

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

While green mountain barrels offer decent accuracy,the next step up is shilen barrels. I've gotten best accuracy from lilja,hart,and snieder. Rws and eley has been proven to be most consistlently accurate for us. In rws,go with r50 and eley's best round is benchrest gold. Naturally we're not talking budget BUT 10 shot match winning groups at 50 yards of less than 1/4" REALLY announces your presence!

Old 12-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #13

wow, sounds like something to consider.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:53 PM   #14

Just wanted to clarify my post a little. This is with hand built/fitted rifle,barrel/bolt set at .043 headspace,15 oz trigger adjustable for overtravel and takeup,lapped steel rings,6.5x-20x leupold scope,hand sorted ammo by weight/rim thickness/runout,and hand chambered,custom ordered threaded barrel/reciever. I could go on giving details but feel I would be boring yall and you likely think I'm crazy going to that much trouble for "just a .22".

Old 12-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #15

Naturally it's best from extreme accuracy standpoint to use top quality barrel blanks and thread barrel/reciever but most people don't want to go to "extremes" like that. Green mountain barrels offer the best level of accuracy among the cheaper, prefit, drop in barrels. Butler creek barrels usually have somewhat of an loose chamber, while being great for reliability with any ammo, loses a bit of precision. In 10/22 barrels, chamber fit is 1 of the most cricital areas determining accuracy.

To lessen excessive headspace in the factory bolt, remove extractor & spring, carefully face the front of bolt until the rim depth relief in bolt is .043. To do this you MUST keep the whole face of bolt exactly 90 degrees to length and MUST use an depth mic in order to keep from going too far. Facing bolt alone will make any barrel and/or ammo shoot better.