Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   10/22 Bananna Clip? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/10-22-bananna-clip-20205/)

northhike 11-19-2009 01:14 AM

10/22 Bananna Clip?

I just purchased a Ruger 10/22 All Weather. Put a scope and a sling on it and was wondering who make a reliable clip that goes beyond 10 rounds.

I was told the bananna clips tend to create jams.....but thats just the opinion of one guy. Which clips have you had luck with?

canebrake 11-19-2009 01:38 AM

I like these:

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v.../paperclip.jpg

Txhillbilly 11-19-2009 01:57 AM

There are so many different companies that make aftermarket mags for the 10/22,but the Butler Creek-Steel lip mags are decent. The plastic lip mags work OK,but wear out and then you will start having problems with feeding/jamming.
There are also some that are billet aluminum,but they are very expensive and I won't spend the money for them.

KingTiger 11-19-2009 06:36 PM

I've had good luck with the TI25's.

TI25 ADVANCED COMPOSITE STEEL LIP MAGAZINE FOR RUGER 10/22 by:

ta1588 11-21-2009 04:29 PM

the butler creek steel lips are very good, after breaking them in (2 to 3 full mag dumps) i get no jams

pioneer461 11-24-2009 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northhike (Post 187934)
I just purchased a Ruger 10/22 All Weather. Put a scope and a sling on it and was wondering who make a reliable clip that goes beyond 10 rounds.

I was told the bananna clips tend to create jams.....but thats just the opinion of one guy. Which clips have you had luck with?

Well heck yeah! Stick a bananna in a gun's receiver and it will jam every time.

Oh, you mean a 25-30 round magazine? In that case, Butler Creek magazines with steel lips are the way to go.

glenthoughts 11-25-2009 06:19 AM

I just used two butler Creek 25 rounders with no jams or malfunctions. They worked as well as the stock Ruger 10 round mag that came with it.

Mine do not have steel feed lips, still work great, I guess they will wear faster. My 10/22 is box stock.

ta1588 11-25-2009 06:27 AM

I must warn you, I got a shooters ridge 50rd mag from cabelas and had great ambitions for it and it was wonderful whenever it worked...I haven't decided to throw it in the trash yet...but it pretty much jams every other round. They don't want to be pushed into the chamber from the mag. I've tried shaving down the plastic feed lips where they're getting stuck with little luck, maybe I'll shave 'em some more. The spring doesn't seem to be great either. Maybe I just got the bad one of the bunch but I sure wish it was reliable.

Joe M 11-25-2009 11:08 AM

Make sure you get the Steel Lips Magazine. All other's (like the Hot Lips Magazines) will never last as long as the Steel Lips do.

At least that's what I've read in the reviews and from what others have said that own both types.

This would seem to make sense as you seldom hear of a factory Ruger Magazine having feeding problems. They have steel lips along with rotary feed which makes them one of the best - if not the best on the market even though you're limited to 10 shots.

robocop10mm 11-25-2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ta1588 (Post 190463)
I must warn you, I got a shooters ridge 50rd mag from cabelas and had great ambitions for it and it was wonderful whenever it worked...I haven't decided to throw it in the trash yet...but it pretty much jams every other round. They don't want to be pushed into the chamber from the mag. I've tried shaving down the plastic feed lips where they're getting stuck with little luck, maybe I'll shave 'em some more. The spring doesn't seem to be great either. Maybe I just got the bad one of the bunch but I sure wish it was reliable.

MMM, shaving good....Oh wait wrong section. Sorry.

Seriously, I have several high cap 10-22 mags ranging from 25 rd capacity to 50 rd. All seem to work well enough with round nose profiled bullets. The sharper truncated cone type bullets (yellow jacket, etc.) can give some mags fits.