10/22 Ammunition
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > 10/22 Ammunition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 04:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 10/22 Ammunition

Is it safe to fire .22 mag poly-tip ammunition from CCI in a Ruger 10/22, or is it strictly only .22 LR rounds? Was just interested in the poly-tip for hunting.

Nvm...found the answer......what are the top 5 varmint ammunitions in .22 LR? Looking to try several brands to see what the gun shoots best with.

Also, outside of a new stock...is there anything I can do about a scope that sits too high? I don't have any rings on it at all... it's about an inch too high..

Last edited by armadirro; 03-06-2014 at 05:07 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2014, 08:21 AM   #2
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3069 Times on 2085 Posts
Likes Given: 657

Bore sight it. Either with a laser, or the old fashioned way. Otherwise take of the scope and try a dot sight maybe? That's what I'm doing.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 03-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Bore sight it. Either with a laser, or the old fashioned way. Otherwise take of the scope and try a dot sight maybe? That's what I'm doing.

If the new stock doesn't have enough elevation on the cheek rest I will probably take that route.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #4

Liked 216 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 17

What chew mean you have no rings on your scope at all?? Got have some if it sits to high. Buy lower rings to cure the problem.

Photos would help too.

Guess you figured out if you have a 22mag 10/22 then yea try the poly tips if they fit the mag. But do have a magnum version or a plan ole .22lr rifle. IF you have a 22lr I don't use HP ammo. I shoot only what shoots best and with stock 10/22 barrel it no telling. Try cci standard , green and mini mags and go from there. Mine aren't stock and I use wolf or sk rifle match for tree rats and other critters like problem ratcoons. .

Old 03-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #5

Ammo: My old 10/22 eats just about everything with Std. 10rd. mags. when I use one of the Butler creek ones, that isn't the case. I also have 2 Newer Ruger BX-25's that are Good. Mostly CCI MiniMags(RN not HP), Win Super-X, and the Federal Champions and Federal Auto Match are what we feed all of ours. Many Many Jams with Remington T-Bolts,..but thats the Ammo..My Big 5 is supposed to get Fiocchi "fresh fire" cans In..

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 03-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #6

I have three 10/22's all like remington copper clad ammo. Hard to find now.. A ruger eats almost all ammo. But likes remington!

Old 03-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #7

Liked 385 Times on 221 Posts

My Remington 597 .22lr (sold it) would jam with most brands of hollow point ammo. The plastic mags were the worst. I bought some remington steel 10rd mags and it seemed to jam (failure to feed and failure to extract) a little less. No experience with a 10/22 and I'm ashamed to say it lol. Been wanting one for a while.

Sent from my HTC One X using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 03-06-2014, 07:58 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5511 Times on 2878 Posts
Likes Given: 358

My 10/22td likes cci stingers. Those are very good varmint rounds.

22lr 10/22 will work with everything 22lr except for subsonics which typically need to be hand cycled.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-07-2014, 03:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
What chew mean you have no rings on your scope at all?? Got have some if it sits to high. Buy lower rings to cure the problem.

Photos would help too.

Guess you figured out if you have a 22mag 10/22 then yea try the poly tips if they fit the mag. But do have a magnum version or a plan ole .22lr rifle. IF you have a 22lr I don't use HP ammo. I shoot only what shoots best and with stock 10/22 barrel it no telling. Try cci standard , green and mini mags and go from there. Mine aren't stock and I use wolf or sk rifle match for tree rats and other critters like problem ratcoons. .
Sorry I meant no extra rings, just the ones it came with...I don't know how to tell how big they are.

Ill try to get my hands on some extra low scope rings.

Last edited by armadirro; 03-07-2014 at 04:06 AM.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
My 10/22td likes cci stingers. Those are very good varmint rounds.

22lr 10/22 will work with everything 22lr except for subsonics which typically need to be hand cycled.

The Sub-Sonics and shot shells also need to be hand cycled.

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.