10/22 Aftermarket barrel troubles - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

10/22 Aftermarket barrel troubles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 94 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by guncrazy22 View Post
well first of all its a crappy ruger my freind go buy a marlin 60 10 x better
You will not make many friends starting out this way !!!

Jim...........

Old 06-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #12

Thanks for the replies (most of them). I will take take a look at how the round is seating. I have tried quite a few different types of .22lr, both bulk and higher end stuff. I have tried a few different CCI varieties (standard V, Mini-Mags), Wolf Match, and they shoot no better than Remington golden bullet bulk packs.

To guncrazy: i probably will eventually own a Model 60, because i am a gun fan in general. Everyone on here argues over which platforms are best, i just like to have them all covered There are some threads on here that are started with the question which do you prefer, this is not one. I was asking for help with something i own, which you offered none of.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalgunner View Post
i have a green mountain 16.5 in on a 10 22. i have the same problem. they did have a run of barrels in 2009, where they put a little camphor around the mouth of the chamber. it resulted in the rim on the cartridge being slightly recessed, so the firing pin does not fully strike the rim. but it was mostly the heavy taper sporter barrel like mine. not sure if your barrel is one of the bad ones. GM will fix the problem. i still have to call them to send it back. also GM uses a bentz chamber, which is snug. so if you have a ftf and try to pull back on the bolt to eject, it won't eject a live round. i hope all this made sense. this has been discussed on some rimfire sites.
I took the barrel off and inspected the chamber, then compared to some pictures i found of this chamfer problem from rimfire central. It appears this is the problem i have. I am going to contact green mountain about repair/replacement.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:26 AM   #14

Hope they can help correct your problem I have one of those crappy 1022 Rugers that I use for squirrels. Head shots at 60 + yds. Very accurate and never misses a lick.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:49 AM   #15

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTsouthpaw View Post
Thanks for the replies (most of them). I will take take a look at how the round is seating. I have tried quite a few different types of .22lr, both bulk and higher end stuff. I have tried a few different CCI varieties (standard V, Mini-Mags), Wolf Match, and they shoot no better than Remington golden bullet bulk packs.

To guncrazy: i probably will eventually own a Model 60, because i am a gun fan in general. Everyone on here argues over which platforms are best, i just like to have them all covered There are some threads on here that are started with the question which do you prefer, this is not one. I was asking for help with something i own, which you offered none of.
With mine I'm best with the Federal bulk but 22's being what they are they always like one ammo better than others. I say it all the time when someone gets a new 22. Look at a bunch of ammo and see what works best. It's prett funn really. I xcan group better with that 15 buck a box bulk than I can with match ammo.

Let us know what you find out You having this problem might help someone else later. Have you taken any of the rounds that didn't fire and turn them to where a it can be struck elsewhere on the rim?

Old 06-25-2010, 02:45 AM   #16

so is it a after market barrel

Old 06-25-2010, 02:53 AM   #17

not trying to be mean to anybody i own a marlin model 60 so thats why i said what i did just some gun humor so sorry

Old 06-25-2010, 09:28 AM   #18
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4283 Times on 2408 Posts
Likes Given: 2033

Jim Clark guns may have an old barrel

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-25-2010, 10:25 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1933 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Marlin 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalgunner View Post
i have a marlin. it sits in my safe, i can't stand the tube magazine.
I'll give you my mailing address to send the rifle to. No sense in it just sitting in a safe and not being wanted !!!

Old 06-25-2010, 07:00 PM   #20

I emailed Green Mountain about my problem. They are going to send me a shipping label so i can send them the barrel, and they will inspect it free of charge for manufacturing defects. If it is found to be a manufacturing defect (which it apparently is), they say they will repair or replace as necessary. Great customer service, pending they come through on what they say