10/22 Aftermarket barrel troubles
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > 10/22 Aftermarket barrel troubles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 10/22 Aftermarket barrel troubles

I have a 10/22 with a Green mountain 20" fluted BBL. My gun will only reliably shoot Federal brand .22lr ammunition, and some varieties of federal better than others. The problem is mostly FTFs. The best luck i have had is the Federal Wal Mart hollowpoint bulkpacks (rarely fail). most other brands are not even worth the trouble of loading the mag. Anybody have similar problems? any ideas on what the problem is? i have a very experienced gunsmith in the family, so i am considering taking it to him, but he is usually very busy, so for now i just shoot what works.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2010, 01:47 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Are you shooting with the factory rotary 10 round magazine? Or are you using "banana mags"? The Green Mountain barrels feature tighter chambers for better accuracy. Even so, I haven't seen a bad barrel from them that produced FTFs.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 06-21-2010, 02:13 AM   #3

i am using factory mags.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:58 AM   #4

i have a green mountain 16.5 in on a 10 22. i have the same problem. they did have a run of barrels in 2009, where they put a little camphor around the mouth of the chamber. it resulted in the rim on the cartridge being slightly recessed, so the firing pin does not fully strike the rim. but it was mostly the heavy taper sporter barrel like mine. not sure if your barrel is one of the bad ones. GM will fix the problem. i still have to call them to send it back. also GM uses a bentz chamber, which is snug. so if you have a ftf and try to pull back on the bolt to eject, it won't eject a live round. i hope all this made sense. this has been discussed on some rimfire sites.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:01 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Is the barrel new? I have installed several GM and Whistle pig barrels on 10/22's over the years,and almost all of them were machined so tight to the ID of the action and I had to take a little time with Emory cloth sanding them down enough to fit the action good.
If you forced the barrel into the action,it might not be back far enough and the headspace is too much,so the firing pin isn't making enough contact on the case to set off the primer.

Just a thought! I haven't had any problems out of the guns that I've installed aftermarket barrels on.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:18 AM   #6

GM sporter - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Old 06-21-2010, 03:30 AM   #7

well first of all its a crappy ruger my freind go buy a marlin 60 10 x better

Old 06-21-2010, 04:34 AM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by guncrazy22 View Post
Nice flame! Only 4 posts and you are off and running.

I'm not the worlds biggest 10/22 fan, but with good triggers and barrels they turn into amazing shooters.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 06-21-2010, 06:14 AM   #9

Quote:
i have a marlin. it sits in my safe, i can't stand the tube magazine.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #10

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
hahahhaaaa!

I'll stick to my crappy Ruger. I like a Marlin fine but the one 10-22 and the AMT 10-22 copy I have are the best grouping rim fires I've had so far. And I've had a couple rim fires throughout my short time shooting (somewhere around 36 years)

Now back to topic,,,, Have you looked at how the round is seating to see if it's not in the right place? When you infered other ammo where these other bulk packs or some higher end target loads? I have horrible rtesults with most bulk ammo except the Federal bulk stuff. I might see one or two a box. And for the money they run me I really don't care. Higher end ammo is never a problem You're going to run into some duds in bulk stuff more often.
You look at the rim to see if the pin is getting a good strike all the time?

Sorry for so many questions. It's pretty hard to say what's up without seeing the rifle but most the time it's in the questions already asked or these. I had heard about some not so good GM barrels a while back. But that had been a good while back. If it's a new purchase I'm not too sure that6 would be the issue. But it's worth looking into.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by DrumJunkie; 06-21-2010 at 09:51 AM.