Zeroing at close range - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Zeroing at close range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 12:03 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7601 Times on 4182 Posts
Likes Given: 7338

What he said!

And for home defense, the Hornady 55 grain TAP (tactical application, police) is just about the best there is.

“There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as0.gif Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. (Bull) quote

Old 03-24-2013, 12:26 AM   #12

Liked 2138 Times on 1172 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

Is the TAP ammo a fmj? I have never heard of using fmj for self defence. I used it in the Army because I had no choice. I dont use my AR for home defense. But I would have thought most people would recomend a hollow point.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:50 AM   #13

Liked 464 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Zero'd both my AR's at 25yds. Rounds impact a little high at 50yds. When it warms up a little, will head to an outdoor range, see where they impact at 100yds. Will use Kentucky windage for shots this far out. Won't re-adjust the sights for longer distances. Have rifles better suited to reach out.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:31 AM   #14

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
I highly recommend professional training for using your AR-15 if you intend to use it for any non-sporting purpose. Most reputable firearms instructors will tell you the exact same things I've previously stated, but it's better to hear it from their mouths than from some random guy on the internet that you know nothing about.

A lightweight AR-15 carbine with a red dot optic is a fantabulous home defense weapon with the right ammunition (plain Jane 55 grain FMJ), professional instruction in its use, and consistent practice (which is always the case with any firearm). There are lots of myths surrounding the AR-15 vs 12 gauge shotgun about penetration, aiming, the effects of the ammunition on soft/hard targets, what loading is best, and so on, but professional instruction will quickly help you decide which weapon ranks first for home and personal defense. That said, a shotgun can be a perfectly usable tool that serves the purpose.
Great info couldnt have put it any better