Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Zero Dark Thirty Special (thrift store version)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 200 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
In keeping with your original concept wouldn't it be better to at least go for a quad rail?
So far the only ones that will fit over a piston bring the cost closer to the price of a mono upper, while MOE handguards can accept their proprietary rails, while keeping the cost down, and having held an AR with a MOE, it feels like the triangle handguards, which I like. It is also significantly harder to get dark earth in anything. I am on the wait list for a $25 set of dark earth colored handguards, which is the color I finally decided to go with. Thanks for your input Tikki. I have read everyone's input on this project.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by fsted2a; 07-29-2013 at 05:51 PM.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #22

Range report: I installed a drop in TNW piston system in a buddies rifle, and it shot Remington, blanks, and Tula ammo with no malfunction whatsoever, so I am glad I decided on that setup. Cheap and reliable. Right now I am searching for a dark earth colored barrel (cheap) to go with my lower. Trying to keep the cost under 1 grand.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #23

All who have replied:
Sorry to be so slow on this project. Didn't realize getting my ducks in a row for retirement was going to be a full time job. On top of that, I applied for my CL 7 FFL, and after my ATF interview I have a lot to do. FYI, the ATF considers assembling the parts of an AR the same as manufacturing, even if you don't actually manufacture any parts.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Sorry it is taking so long. I got my hands on a dark earth lower, and decided to make as much as I could dark earth to keep the rifle consistent. Waiting on MOE handguards, pistol grip, buttstock assembly and barrel to put together.
By the way, the BCG is BCM.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #25

This is where I am at with it now. I was able to go to home depot and get pretty close to the dark earth color of the handguards. When I get it complete, I will spray paint all the plastic so it will match. Waiting on buttstock, forward assist assembly, and dust cover, and I will be off to the range to test fire. Looks like I threw the whole monolithic upper idea out the window, but for functionality, this is a good build for not a lot of dough. I have already run some blanks through it and it cycles just fine.

100_0152.jpg   100_0153.jpg   101_0150.jpg  

Last edited by fsted2a; 09-23-2013 at 09:07 PM.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #26

So far, looking like it will stay under 1 grand. The TNW setup presented some clearance challenges for the handguards, but nothing I couldn't work around. I contacted Magpul about the heat sheild issue, and they said they will figure that into the next generation of handguards.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So basically, the only thing SIMILAR, not identical, to the hk416 is the piston system. At least an adams arms like I have is much closer to the mr556/416. No quad rail, fde coloring, wrong gas system. This is not even remotely close to the idea. Its just another custom ar 15 built on a budget. Only similarity is the 5.56 chambering

Old 09-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
So basically, the only thing SIMILAR, not identical, to the hk416 is the piston system. At least an adams arms like I have is much closer to the mr556/416. No quad rail, fde coloring, wrong gas system. This is not even remotely close to the idea. Its just another custom ar 15 built on a budget. Only similarity is the 5.56 chambering
The rails will come later, when I get something I want to mount on them. Magpul has rails that will mount on their MOE handguards. At this point I don't care to mount anything. The MOE handguards are more comfortable than the rails are, even with the rubber covers. I have installed this brand of piston system before, and they will fire when everything is submerged in water without exploding, which is what the majority of HK vids on the 416 show. Glad you enjoy your Adams Arms piston system. I am sure it will serve you well. Did you install the piston system yourself, or purchase the entire upper? The reason I am asking is I had considered putting one in a rifle, but every one I have seen that was installed had the barrel scratched up from the removal of the front sight post/gas block, which can be a major pain. If you have a tip on removing the pinned sight post I would love to hear it. The intent of this build was to keep the costs down while still having the same functionality and reliability as the HK (hence the "thrift store version" in the title). I was hoping for as close to the look as possible, but at this point, not happening. At this point, I am stuck with the conventional barrel nut, but I am looking at different vendors to get one that you can use a spanner wrench to install/remove. As to the color scheme, I got a BCM blemish upper and the MAG lower in the same purchase, and got them for about the cost of DPMS, and liked them enough I wanted to put them in the build. I was actually going to go for a monolithic upper to keep the "look" as close as possible, but keeping the cost down was a primary consideration. The parts are high quality, and it functions and cycles flawlessly with blanks. I am waiting on a few parts to finish up to take to the range to fire live rounds, both brass and steel, then do the water torture test, and will bring back a range report.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
The rails will come later, when I get something I want to mount on them. Magpul has rails that will mount on their MOE handguards. At this point I don't care to mount anything. The MOE handguards are more comfortable than the rails are, even with the rubber covers. I have installed this brand of piston system before, and they will fire when everything is submerged in water without exploding, which is what the majority of HK vids on the 416 show. Glad you enjoy your Adams Arms piston system. I am sure it will serve you well. Did you install the piston system yourself, or purchase the entire upper? The reason I am asking is I had considered putting one in a rifle, but every one I have seen that was installed had the barrel scratched up from the removal of the front sight post/gas block, which can be a major pain. If you have a tip on removing the pinned sight post I would love to hear it. The intent of this build was to keep the costs down while still having the same functionality and reliability as the HK (hence the "thrift store version" in the title). I was hoping for as close to the look as possible, but at this point, not happening. At this point, I am stuck with the conventional barrel nut, but I am looking at different vendors to get one that you can use a spanner wrench to install/remove. As to the color scheme, I got a BCM blemish upper and the MAG lower in the same purchase, and got them for about the cost of DPMS, and liked them enough I wanted to put them in the build. I was actually going to go for a monolithic upper to keep the "look" as close as possible, but keeping the cost down was a primary consideration. The parts are high quality, and it functions and cycles flawlessly with blanks. I am waiting on a few parts to finish up to take to the range to fire live rounds, both brass and steel, then do the water torture test, and will bring back a range report.
Just buy a stripped barrel and slide the block on. I built the entire rifle

Old 09-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
Just buy a stripped barrel and slide the block on. I built the entire rifle
That is what I have been doing with other piston systems. Makes it easier, even though you can install them on the pre-existing gas block/sight post. Last year a guy wanted me to put an Adams Arms system on his Colt, and I had to turn him down because he wanted it on a Colt barrel, and I had no way to get one that was stripped. I didn't want to scratch an expensive barrel. Hoping to get a hydraulic press next year so I can remove the sight bases.