Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Zero Dark Thirty Special (thrift store version)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 210 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Default Zero Dark Thirty Special (thrift store version)

I am starting a new build next week. With all the hoopla surrounding the death of UBL, I though I would make the theme of the build around the gun that was used to bring Bin Ladin to justice. My goal is to make one as close as legally possible configuration wise for $1500-$2000. Looking at HK website, their semi-auto version goes for $3295, so I believe it is entirely do-able.
Some of the specific details of the configuration are not available, but I think I have enough to go on. Here will be some characteristics of the build:
1. Monolithic upper
2. Piston gas system
3. Adjustable buttstock
4. 16" barrel (I believe the Seals use a 14", but I don't want to fool with the ATF over a few inches)
7. Be able to reliably fire brass, steel, or blank ammo without fail.

My premise is you can build a very high quality AR that will hold up with the best in reliability without being in debt for the rest of your life.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #2

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

That sounds like a plan, I'd love so see it! Go go go!

I think getting and H&k lower might be tough if not impossible, but maybe you can build a 80% lower and have it custom engraved and anodized.

I think maybe a 15" railed upper and a 16" barrel might duplicate the look your going for, but I don't think they make a monolithic 15" upper. Maybe get a 14.5 with a 12" rail? This is gonna one fat pig.

On the plus side I've seen those HK butstock sold used from time to time, just hope they don't use a proprietary tube.

Best of luck and don't forget the pron!!!

fsted2a Likes This 
Old 06-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #3

Forgot to mention: I will use the most generic parts possible, hence the "thift store version".(no Vulcan parts as I don't want it blowing up in my face when I do the water test)

Old 06-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #4

Liked 948 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 941

I'm also watching this build, sounds like fun!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

fsted2a Likes This 
Old 06-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #5

mr556_lg_cap.jpg

Here is the configuration I am going for, which is the 16" barrel semi-auto version. I already have some of the peices, such as a bolt carrier (not sure what brand) a stripped lower, buttstock kit, and stripped barrel. Waiting on delivery of the rest.

Last edited by fsted2a; 06-07-2013 at 07:15 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #6

Depending on what piston system you go with, you might have to go with a proprietary BCG. So be careful!

Old 06-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Depending on what piston system you go with, you might have to go with a proprietary BCG. So be careful!
Tikki,
I know; some do, and some don't. A few months back, I put an Osprey system in a co-workers gun, and used an over-the-counter BCG in it with their bolt on gas key replacement, and it has worked fine to this day. I have used an Ares Black Lightning kit on my first piston build, and it turned out great. There are about 5 or 6 different companies out there with proprietary piston systems to chose from. I am using the cheapest one I could find just for the principal of this build, and it didn't come with a BCG. The goal here is to build a piston AR that performs and is configured like an HK 416 (civilian variant) as cheap as possible. Probably the most expensive part of this project will be the monolithic upper. I am hovering between one I found on Brownells for $500 or MGI's for $600. The MGI is more expensive, but it is stated to be compatable with Adams Arms piston systems, which is generally the hardest to fit under monolithic uppers, and it has a quick release barrel latch. Even with this, I am confident I can make my build under 1500 bucks.

Last edited by fsted2a; 06-07-2013 at 09:09 PM.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #8

Awesome, sounds like you're covered! You probably have much more experience with pistons than I do!

HRM......I was looking at this photo....and it occurred to me that this is an SBR after seeing your photo. So its probably a carbine gas, but kinda looks like a middy gas length. I'm not sure.........

lg_hk416.jpg  

Old 06-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Seems to be one of the coolest builds about which I've heard.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 06-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #10

Well since this is a bargain basement thrift build, whould you considering bypassing the monolithic upper? I bet you can save at least $100 on your build! Is the 416 really monolithic? Kind of looks like it does have a crease between the front of the upper and the rail................

found something 4 u

COOL genuine H&K 416 uber pistol grip

Uber expensive 11" OEM H&K handguards

Last edited by AgentTikki; 06-07-2013 at 11:07 PM.