Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Zero Dark Thirty Special (thrift store version) (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/zero-dark-thirty-special-thrift-store-version-91921/)

fsted2a 06-07-2013 03:00 PM

Zero Dark Thirty Special (thrift store version)

I am starting a new build next week. With all the hoopla surrounding the death of UBL, I though I would make the theme of the build around the gun that was used to bring Bin Ladin to justice. My goal is to make one as close as legally possible configuration wise for $1500-$2000. Looking at HK website, their semi-auto version goes for $3295, so I believe it is entirely do-able.
Some of the specific details of the configuration are not available, but I think I have enough to go on. Here will be some characteristics of the build:
1. Monolithic upper
2. Piston gas system
3. Adjustable buttstock
4. 16" barrel (I believe the Seals use a 14", but I don't want to fool with the ATF over a few inches)
7. Be able to reliably fire brass, steel, or blank ammo without fail.

My premise is you can build a very high quality AR that will hold up with the best in reliability without being in debt for the rest of your life.

AgentTikki 06-07-2013 03:35 PM

That sounds like a plan, I'd love so see it! Go go go!

I think getting and H&k lower might be tough if not impossible, but maybe you can build a 80% lower and have it custom engraved and anodized.

I think maybe a 15" railed upper and a 16" barrel might duplicate the look your going for, but I don't think they make a monolithic 15" upper. Maybe get a 14.5 with a 12" rail? This is gonna one fat pig.

On the plus side I've seen those HK butstock sold used from time to time, just hope they don't use a proprietary tube.

Best of luck and don't forget the pron!!!

fsted2a 06-07-2013 04:42 PM

Forgot to mention: I will use the most generic parts possible, hence the "thift store version".(no Vulcan parts as I don't want it blowing up in my face when I do the water test)

Quentin 06-07-2013 06:48 PM

I'm also watching this build, sounds like fun!

fsted2a 06-07-2013 07:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 104671

Here is the configuration I am going for, which is the 16" barrel semi-auto version. I already have some of the peices, such as a bolt carrier (not sure what brand) a stripped lower, buttstock kit, and stripped barrel. Waiting on delivery of the rest.

AgentTikki 06-07-2013 07:40 PM

Depending on what piston system you go with, you might have to go with a proprietary BCG. So be careful!

fsted2a 06-07-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki (Post 1270347)
Depending on what piston system you go with, you might have to go with a proprietary BCG. So be careful!

Tikki,
I know; some do, and some don't. A few months back, I put an Osprey system in a co-workers gun, and used an over-the-counter BCG in it with their bolt on gas key replacement, and it has worked fine to this day. I have used an Ares Black Lightning kit on my first piston build, and it turned out great. There are about 5 or 6 different companies out there with proprietary piston systems to chose from. I am using the cheapest one I could find just for the principal of this build, and it didn't come with a BCG. The goal here is to build a piston AR that performs and is configured like an HK 416 (civilian variant) as cheap as possible. Probably the most expensive part of this project will be the monolithic upper. I am hovering between one I found on Brownells for $500 or MGI's for $600. The MGI is more expensive, but it is stated to be compatable with Adams Arms piston systems, which is generally the hardest to fit under monolithic uppers, and it has a quick release barrel latch. Even with this, I am confident I can make my build under 1500 bucks.

AgentTikki 06-07-2013 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Awesome, sounds like you're covered! You probably have much more experience with pistons than I do!

HRM......I was looking at this photo....and it occurred to me that this is an SBR after seeing your photo. So its probably a carbine gas, but kinda looks like a middy gas length. I'm not sure.........

FullautoUSA 06-07-2013 09:46 PM

Seems to be one of the coolest builds about which I've heard.

AgentTikki 06-07-2013 10:18 PM

Well since this is a bargain basement thrift build, whould you considering bypassing the monolithic upper? I bet you can save at least $100 on your build! Is the 416 really monolithic? Kind of looks like it does have a crease between the front of the upper and the rail................

found something 4 u

COOL genuine H&K 416 uber pistol grip

Uber expensive 11" OEM H&K handguards