Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Your preferred (best) ammo for 5.56/.223 1:7 16" AR15? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/your-preferred-best-ammo-5-56-223-1-7-16-ar15-26637/)

Poink88 04-30-2010 03:19 AM

Your preferred (best) ammo for 5.56/.223 1:7 16" AR15?

Planning on buying an AR in the future and starting my research on what ammo to use now.

What is your preferred (or recommended) ammo and for what application (target, SD/HD, hunting, etc.)?

Thanks.

556plinker 04-30-2010 03:41 AM

good thread

I am new to AR platform as well and have questions relating to the same topic. WHAT is the deal with pressures using the steel cased ammo in an AR. My owners manual warned against the use of wolf and the like but I know people shoot it???? Ive stuck with brass cased fiocci 55g fmj's to date.

What bullet weights can I use with the 16" 1:7 twist and how accurate would the varying wieghts be?

DONT MEAN TO HIJACK YOUR THREAD 88....but I think you need to know this as well.

Quentin 04-30-2010 06:16 AM

Even though I have a 5.56 chamber I tend to use .223 55gr steel case and 55gr PMC for the bulk of my shooting, mainly due to cost. Now for accuracy, distance and defense there are better (but more costly) choices that I'm sure will be discussed later. As you know, your 1/7 twist loves heavier/longer bullets but does all right with 55gr.

Poink88 04-30-2010 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 556plinker (Post 278335)
I am new to AR platform as well and have questions relating to the same topic. WHAT is the deal with pressures using the steel cased ammo in an AR. My owners manual warned against the use of wolf and the like but I know people shoot it???? Ive stuck with brass cased fiocci 55g fmj's to date.

What bullet weights can I use with the 16" 1:7 twist and how accurate would the varying wieghts be?

DONT MEAN TO HIJACK YOUR THREAD 88....but I think you need to know this as well.

I may be mistaken but it seems true to all guns (even hand guns) that they discourage the use of steel cased ammo. The reason being steel is harder than brass and in time, can damage your chamber, feed ramp, etc.

Edit in:
Not sure if chrome lined ramp and chamber will make the use of steel cased ammo okay. Input anyone?

Poink88 04-30-2010 11:37 AM

Found this (to answer my question) and decided to share as well...

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=185

Wambli 04-30-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poink88 (Post 278328)
Planning on buying an AR in the future and starting my research on what ammo to use now.

What is your preferred (or recommended) ammo and for what application (target, SD/HD, hunting, etc.)?

Thanks.

The answer varies from gun to gun but it depends on which AR you buy and what you will be using it for. If you buy a gun with a twist rates of 1:7 you should have no problems runing anything in the 55 gr. and above class. I use 55 gr FMJ Federal standard military grade ammo for practice and Gold Dot 64gr for SD but they are only available to LE at this time so they can be tough to come by. A great alternative for SD is athe TAP ammo. Both the Gold Dot and Tap will work well on coyote and deer if you are so inclined and Fedaral, Hornady and others have heavy for caliber hunting type bullets that will work very well too.

If you will be using your AR for varmint hunting then the above twist is too fast and bullets in the 45gr. HP class bullets CAN come apart in flight and if they don't they will probably shoot poorly but a twist that slow will not shoot the heavier bullets well. My favorite AR has a twist rate of 1:9 and works with both types of bullets well but because it's a short barrel it slows down the 45's to the point that they will not self destruct. I would not do a 1:9 in a 24" tube and expect the same results.

If the gun will be used strictly for target work the 1:7 twist will stabilize heavier HPBT (64gr and above) Match type ammo. Black Hills and Federal Gold are very good with their Match ammo with outfits like Privi following closely in their heels.

Quentin 04-30-2010 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poink88 (Post 278430)
I may be mistaken but it seems true to all guns (even hand guns) that they discourage the use of steel cased ammo. The reason being steel is harder than brass and in time, can damage your chamber, feed ramp, etc.

Edit in:
Not sure if chrome lined ramp and chamber will make the use of steel cased ammo okay. Input anyone?

Yes, a chrome lined chamber is recommended if you shoot a lot of steel case. I really wouldn't worry too much about using SC, sure it's dirty but it's not gonna foul up your gas tube, chamber or bcg if you perform normal maintenance after trips to the range. And the case is much softer than the chamber (at least on a quality AR). I'd be a little concerned about a rifle's durability if the manufacturer flat out says not to use steel case.