Your opinion of the KMP MkII?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Your opinion of the KMP MkII?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Default Your opinion of the KMP MkII?

Fixed for you- Mod-

Let me preface this question by saying I think "Sons of Guns" is nothing more than a neo-soap opera with bad acting and horrible producers.

That being said, they do make guns, and I love guns, so my buddy & I were talking about it just now, and he mentioned he wanted to get one of those new MkII AR15s (the ones they claim are a "game changer" etc)

From what I've seen, and I could be wrong here, all they really did was take out the gas tube and put in a piston powered system to cycle the chamber...?

Am I wrong on this?

There's a few bells and whistles, sure, like the Pmags, monolithic quad rail, but I just don't see anything here that calls for a $2200 price tag.

But perhaps im missing something...what do you all think?

Last edited by c3shooter; 01-22-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 374

its just a gas piston add on system.

red jacket builds overpriced firearms. they wont say where they get their recievers or barrels or other parts. they arent gunsmiths they are assemblers.

you can make a much better ar15 yourself gas piston or di for half what they charge for their junk. hell you could buy a larue or lwrc or pof for what red jacket charges for their bushmastter level guns...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #3

I'm sorry - for that much money you could buy a lot more rifle than what is being offered there. Guaranteed 1 MOA? LOL, I bet I could shoot almost any barrel on the market and get 1 MOA, so I don't view that as particularly a strong selling point , but will definitely catch the eye of people who know almost nothing about the AR15.

I have a matched receiver set and I gained nothing in performance with it over the forged sets I have - except a little bit of additional weight. Having all that rail, unless you're going to use it, is over kill as well.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just like a $5,000 set of clubs don't make most folks a better golfer, a real expensive firearm will not likely make most users a better marksman. Sure, folks at the top of the game might ferret out some advantage of extraordinary equipment, but the reality is that most of us benefit little by buying stuff at the highest end of the market. Its great to do if you have the extra money, but don't expect to see huge bebefits on the target.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #5

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

I don't understand how, if they are in the firearm industry, they can with a straight face call every project the "first of it's kind", or a "game changer". How do they look their contemporaries in the eye after that? I mean, a reliable piston AR is a "game changer"? If I'm not mistaken, piston driven AR's aren't exactly front page news.

I've had an LWRCI for a couple of years now. And I had a POF on order for several months at the local LGS, before I just gave up and bought the LWRCI, so it's not like successful platforms haven't been around for awhile. I mean hell, HK anyone???

HEY RED JACKET, HELLOOOOO!!!!!

Old 01-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
I don't understand how, if they are in the firearm industry, they can with a straight face call every project the "first of it's kind", or a "game changer". How do they look their contemporaries in the eye after that? I mean, a reliable piston AR is a "game changer"? If I'm not mistaken, piston driven AR's aren't exactly front page news.

I've had an LWRCI for a couple of years now. And I had a POF on order for several months at the local LGS, before I just gave up and bought the LWRCI, so it's not like successful platforms haven't been around for awhile. I mean hell, HK anyone???

HEY RED JACKET, HELLOOOOO!!!!!
That's essentially what I was saying to my buddy...they seem to thrive on people who like guns but don't know jack or **** about them...then they throw in the drama to keep their interest.

$2200? I thought I was crazy for paying what I did for my Colt...good god, at least it's a "Colt" ... nobody knew who the hell "Red Jacket" was before Discovery came along and said "Pretend to hate each other in front of this camera"

Old 01-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop

That's essentially what I was saying to my buddy...they seem to thrive on people who like guns but don't know jack or **** about them...then they throw in the drama to keep their interest.

$2200? I thought I was crazy for paying what I did for my Colt...good god, at least it's a "Colt" ... nobody knew who the hell "Red Jacket" was before Discovery came along and said "Pretend to hate each other in front of this camera"
Ha ha....exactly

Old 01-23-2012, 01:06 AM   #8

Liked 1130 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 2020

I didnt watch the episode so I missed all the drama but werent they having all kinds of issues trying to get this thing to cycle ? and after they did finally get it and take it to show who ever they were trying to sell it to it was jacked up and non cycling again. ? Im sure that they are a fine system but to call them a game changer is ridiculous . Give it a few years and someone will find something better to replace the piston system with

Old 01-23-2012, 01:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
I didnt watch the episode so I missed all the drama but werent they having all kinds of issues trying to get this thing to cycle ? and after they did finally get it and take it to show who ever they were trying to sell it to it was jacked up and non cycling again. ? Im sure that they are a fine system but to call them a game changer is ridiculous . Give it a few years and someone will find something better to replace the piston system with
My point is that there are already proven, reliable piston AR's. Even had theirs been flawless, it wouldn't be the first (or second or third or forth, etc), and to your point, nothing about the PD AR is a "game changer.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Well, on the show, Chris couldn't figure out how to put it together, so instead of going to google.com and typing in for some instructions, the producers had him stand around and pick his ass for a while, stare at the girl up front a few times, and then him and the tattood guy (dont know his name) got into a fight because Tat-boy was pissed off that Chris got the job for the AR and he didn't.

I kept bitching to my wife the whole episode "All they're doing is changing the gas system, what is so game changing about this?"

and so far, you guys are the only ones who are saying the same thing...everyone I know in real life seems to think "they're on TV, so they know what they're talking about"

pisses me off