Is your AR, your primary home defense weapon?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Is your AR, your primary home defense weapon?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Is your AR, your primary home defense weapon?

Reading the #3 Recoil magazine, they make a strong suggestion that a rifle be your primary home defense weapon. With handgun second and shotgun as the final choice. I practice shooting house drills with my AR and handgun. But, when I get home my rifle stays in the case, and my handgun goes in a biometric safe. Is this article just AR sales propaganda? Should I keep my AR on the ready at home? What do you do?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

The handgun is for fighting your way to the long gun or to be used when the long gun goes down during a fight. Do you practice transitions at the range ? Load two or three rounds in the long gun or use snap caps, when the rifle goes dry transition to the handgun and re engage.

The best answer is prob what works for you, do you live in an apt with someone on the other side of the wall ? Do you have enough room in your home to navigate safely with a long gun? Is it equiped wiht a white light of some sort ?

There are a lot of things that need to be considered when planning you home defense scenario for an emergency.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #3

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

No, though I know there are good arguments for it. I do keep 10 mags loaded but the ARs are not my primaries. I like handguns in the home because they're maneuverable and easier to operate with one hand, if necessary. May be bad logic but the way I've done it for 40 some years.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Get the best of both worlds, sbr / ar pistol.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 06-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz
The handgun is for fighting your way to the long gun or to be used when the long gun goes down during a fight. Do you practice transitions at the range ? Load two or three rounds in the long gun or use snap caps, when the rifle goes dry transition to the handgun and re engage.
I don't practice transitions enough. The shooting house drills are kinda shock and awe, individual or two man teams with 3 or 4 targets. A transition would certainly be practical in the case of a malfunction. I have shot IDPA stages that required transition from rifle to handgun and primary handgun to backup. Sounds like a good suggestion for a day at the range.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I always try to mix in some drills when I go to the range. The one I don't do enough is weak hand shooting. I always have good intentions but then forget

Old 06-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #7

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Get the best of both worlds, sbr / ar pistol.
My ARs are in the safe , I do keep several handguns close that are ready to go . so I guess my .40 and 9mm are my home go to until I can get the safe open

Old 06-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz
I always try to mix in some drills when I go to the range. The one I don't do enough is weak hand shooting. I always have good intentions but then forget
I don't practice weak hand enough either, especially with my AR. Weak hand or "loss of strong hand" is a frequent scenario in IDPA. One handed reload, etc. My reaction is always aw $hi_.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #9

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I would prefer an AR sitting next to my bed but w/ a 4 y/o it isn't an option. An AR is by far the best choice. It points better/faster, allows for faster follow-up shots, and larger magazine capacity.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I keep all of my guns locked away when they are not being used. For my pistol, I've got a Gunvault micro that is biometric. Because of its design, I can easily find it and open it in the dark, so the pistol is my default for anything in the house. Anything outside of the house I use the Mossberg chainsaw. We live in the country and have problems with raccoons, opossums, stray dogs, coyotes, ect. When you spot them, you've only got a second or two to fire before they dissapear into the trees. I always take an extra second to verify that I'm not about to shoot a family pet, that doesn't leave enough time to aim a rifle. My mossberg chainsaw has a combination flashlight/lasersight and is designed to be shot from the hip, making it very effective for my needs.