You Want One - Act Now!! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > You Want One - Act Now!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 09:36 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I've been concidering this but there are so many different brands I don't know which ones are good and which ones to stay away from. I'd spend $150ish for the lower...Can anyone reccommend a good piece in that price range?

Check them out:

upper link

Old 11-05-2008, 11:13 PM   #12

Well, at least there is one segment of the economy Obama's election has stimulated!

Old 11-05-2008, 11:39 PM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3483 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
Well, at least there is one segment of the economy Obama's election has stimulated!
Okay - That made me chuckle out loud. If there is a brightspot, that HAS GOT to be it....

+1

Old 11-05-2008, 11:55 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
There it is...it's all an inside job!

You make threatening statements about bans and such, and KABOOM...instant economical relief. BRILLIANT!!!!!

Next, it will be banning Chevrolets, Chryslers, and Ford products.

Then lumber.

Then electricity. And on, and on.....

Debt? What debt?????

Slo

Old 11-06-2008, 04:08 AM   #15

Dillinger,
I'm heading to a gun show at the end of the month. Due to the coming infestation of the White House, I am expecting all guns, ammo ,and parts to increase in price. What is a reasonable price for an AR lower and an AR upper?

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:21 AM   #16

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3483 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

-Gus:

Depending on the quality of the "name brand" on the stripped lower, I would say $100-$160. Of course yesterday's little ripple through the waves of the worried is likely to change that.

The important thing to remember is that the Lower Receiver is all you need to get on the books, and in the grand scheme of what you are building, it's going to make but 3%-5% in a quality build who's name is on the outside.

Granted, there are those that will tell you that if you don't have that NAME BRAND, CNC cut, spec'd designed model it's going to freeze up on you at the worst possible moment and leave you and your family in a pile of blood and brains, but I don't subscribe to that philosophy.

Your lower is merely a platform - from there you pick the parts that go in it and you make it what it will become.

Stay away from anything made of pot metal, usually outside the country. Buy something that is Aluminum and feels good in your hand, doesn't have chatter marks on the machine cuts and doesn't feel rough and uneven as you run your hands long the edges. If you can test fit a mag into the mag well, so much the better.

As for the upper, you want a nice fit between upper and lower, and you want one that is going to match up well. Don't buy a Double Star lower ( small pin set ) and find a great deal on a Colt Upper ( large Pin Set ) and expect them to go well together.

Get what you consider a good deal Gus. What you can afford and what you are "willing" to pay. Once you have that, I can show you some tricks to get some extra accuracy/performance out of even the "Tier 1" stuff out there with a little know how and a little elbow grease.

Between myself and a few others, like Slo, we can get you a good weapon platform, built by you, that will keep the Space Zombies well outside the wire.

PS: Check out Slo's Link above. They have a CMMG stripped lower for like $113 that will mate up with damn near any upper out there and is from a good, quality manufacturing house. You might not even need to go to the show if you know a good FLL near you....

Old 11-06-2008, 11:47 AM   #17
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Stag Arms stripped lowers - $131 shipped. 3 for $70 each plus $9 shipping.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=125&t=496513

Go to ar15.com and click on Equipment Exchange. Lots of stuff there and it changes often.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
There it is...it's all an inside job!

You make threatening statements about bans and such, and KABOOM...instant economical relief. BRILLIANT!!!!!

Next, it will be banning Chevrolets, Chryslers, and Ford products.

Then lumber.

Then electricity. And on, and on.....

Debt? What debt?????

Slo
No threating statements - just predictions! We'll see if I'm right or wrong; time will tell. Rahm Emanuel as chief of staff is NOT a promising sign of "bi-partisanship", however.

First thing to be banned will be free speech. "Joe the Plumber" is probably headed for a lot of legal h*ll for daring to question our new Messiah.

Let it be a warning to anyone else who questions the Messiah..........

Old 11-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
No threating statements - just predictions! We'll see if I'm right or wrong; time will tell. Rahm Emanuel as chief of staff is NOT a promising sign of "bi-partisanship", however.

First thing to be banned will be free speech. "Joe the Plumber" is probably headed for a lot of legal h*ll for daring to question our new Messiah.

Let it be a warning to anyone else who questions the Messiah..........
Oops...my bad on this one.

I did not mean that you had made the threatening statements - I was referring to the upcoming administration - Obama's - and just adding to how they could already be stimulating the economy. Just the mere mention of the threat of another ban, and the gun shops and manufacturers are already recording profits.

So following that plan, if he were to mention a ban on those other products, would it cause the same ripple effect and boost their sales, too?

Whewwwwwww.....this one went the wrong way

Slo

Old 11-06-2008, 02:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
Oops...my bad on this one.

I did not mean that you had made the threatening statements - I was referring to the upcoming administration - Obama's - and just adding to how they could already be stimulating the economy. Just the mere mention of the threat of another ban, and the gun shops and manufacturers are already recording profits.

So following that plan, if he were to mention a ban on those other products, would it cause the same ripple effect and boost their sales, too?

Whewwwwwww.....this one went the wrong way

Slo
Sorry I misunderstood your post.

Funny thing is though, when Clinton was first elected in 1992, I did make some money on lumber futures. The market was so terrified of Clinton's enviromental looneys shutting down logging that timber futures shot up by 5X on news of his election. Prices in lumber yards also skyrocketed.

So, it happens.............