YOu had to know this was coming?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > YOu had to know this was coming?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Default YOu had to know this was coming?

OK what are the good bad and uglies of the 22lr conversions for the AR-15. You can't expect me to have this and not shoot rimfires in it can you........

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-19-2010, 01:15 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I have heard the dedicated uppers are the most reliable - pricey though. As far as the kits, most of the folks I know go with the one from Spikes...

Old 03-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

The three major players in the drop-in 22 conversions are Spike's Tactical, Ceiner, and CMMG. Spikes does offers a very reliable kit though, as Dave stated.

Spike's Tactical conversion comes with a plug that can be used to replace the gas tube if you don't plan on using it with 5.56. This keeps the carbon from building up in the gas tube, but it will not prevent lead buildup. You can reinstall your original upper and fire out a some of them .223 rounds to keep it clean after the .22lr's.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-19-2010, 03:17 PM   #4

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I just bought a stainless CMMG. Had it delivered to Mi where my AR is. Won't be able to try it out until mid-April when I get back up there for a few days.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:20 PM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Thanks guys I like the looks of the Spike.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Tango I'd recommend you get a dedicated upper in .22LR. That way you KNOW it'll be reliable and the scope on it will still be zeroed. Have a scope zeroed on each upper you have then all you have to do is pop 2 pins to change it over. You won't have to worry about .22 lead/lube fouling in your regular 5.56 upper either.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-19-2010, 06:49 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Tango I'd recommend you get a dedicated upper in .22LR. That way you KNOW it'll be reliable and the scope on it will still be zeroed. Have a scope zeroed on each upper you have then all you have to do is pop 2 pins to change it over. You won't have to worry about .22 lead/lube fouling in your regular 5.56 upper either.
+100

Scubie has a conversion that he picked up at the SHOT Show. It is fine for slow fire, like sighting in, and then switch to .223 for fine tuning. For rapid fire it sucks.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 03-19-2010, 08:04 PM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

+1 on the dedicated conversion upper. The bore diameter (and many twist rates) on a 5.56x45 or .223 upper are not conducive to accurate .22lr shooting.