YHM Black Diamond Specter + Spikes lower assembly?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > YHM Black Diamond Specter + Spikes lower assembly?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 12:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 165
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default YHM Black Diamond Specter + Spikes lower assembly?

Now that my first project is pretty much done, I decided it was time to bring my second project closer to completion. With that said, I ordered a Spikes lower assembly from Brownells today to match up to the YHM BDS.

I'm assuming that since both names are fairly well known for broad compatibility that they should mesh well together, I believe. However, after making assumptions on my last project cost me time, money and hair pulling that I would rather avoid this time around. Since both are complete assemblies, all the rifle should need is an Eotech w/magnifier and AFG thrown on and it's done. Anybody using a Spikes lower + YHM upper want to chime in?

This will be my wife's rifle. I'm quite excitedly awaiting the lower so we'll have 2 functional and fairly nice AR's up and running.

__________________

Last edited by moshpit; 06-08-2010 at 12:45 AM.
moshpit is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 06-08-2010, 02:41 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
savagemic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
Now that my first project is pretty much done, I decided it was time to bring my second project closer to completion. With that said, I ordered a Spikes lower assembly from Brownells today to match up to the YHM BDS.

I'm assuming that since both names are fairly well known for broad compatibility that they should mesh well together, I believe. However, after making assumptions on my last project cost me time, money and hair pulling that I would rather avoid this time around. Since both are complete assemblies, all the rifle should need is an Eotech w/magnifier and AFG thrown on and it's done. Anybody using a Spikes lower + YHM upper want to chime in?

This will be my wife's rifle. I'm quite excitedly awaiting the lower so we'll have 2 functional and fairly nice AR's up and running.
Mosh, let me know how you like it and if it's a good buy I'm getting ready to start working on my AR build so I'm really looking into some lowers and uppers.
__________________

--
Epic Tactical - Gun reviews and more!

Love guns? Wanna talk about them? Apply within!

savagemic is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:49 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 165
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagemic View Post
Mosh, let me know how you like it and if it's a good buy I'm getting ready to start working on my AR build so I'm really looking into some lowers and uppers.
Well, I can say that the price was very right on the Spikes lower, 249 at Brownells, but the YHM upper isn't one of the cheaper ones available for sure, but comes pretty much decked out with nice end-capped rail system and diamond fluted barrel and very nice set of BUIS preinstalled. But at 850-950 depending on where you get it (been a bit since seen one for 850, but 900 is common), it's not cheap and costs more then whole ARs built for bang-for-the-buck. Not the route to go if you're trying to save some cash for extras like optics or grips or whatnot.
__________________
moshpit is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:07 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
savagemic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
Well, I can say that the price was very right on the Spikes lower, 249 at Brownells, but the YHM upper isn't one of the cheaper ones available for sure, but comes pretty much decked out with nice end-capped rail system and diamond fluted barrel and very nice set of BUIS preinstalled. But at 850-950 depending on where you get it (been a bit since seen one for 850, but 900 is common), it's not cheap and costs more then whole ARs built for bang-for-the-buck. Not the route to go if you're trying to save some cash for extras like optics or grips or whatnot.
I'm not so worried about grips and optics as I already have my Eotech sights. But I'd still be interested on your thoughts on the lower at least.
__________________

--
Epic Tactical - Gun reviews and more!

Love guns? Wanna talk about them? Apply within!

savagemic is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:25 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 165
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagemic View Post
I'm not so worried about grips and optics as I already have my Eotech sights. But I'd still be interested on your thoughts on the lower at least.
No probs! Will do.
__________________
moshpit is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 165
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

The Spikes lower shipped today, so it will be here by the weekend. Both my wife and I are getting pretty excited for her to have her first rifle. At this point, it's looking like the Spikes is going on her YHM upper for sure, she's too excited about getting to fill out the yellow form and putting it all together herself, and I can't rob her of that, it's too cool to see her like this. So, I ordered up a Magpul ACS last night along with her AFG so I could at least satisfy my urge for lower receiver changes with a new stock on mine.

I admit though, she's gonna have the cooler lower on hers. The more I look at pics of the Spikes lower, the cooler it seems. She'll need a new pistol grip on it, she's not fond of the standard AR grip at all, but loves my cheapy, ATI ergo molded grip. I went ahead and ordered another one of those from CTD for her rifle, should get here about the same time the ACS does. When hers is done by this weekend, we're gonna have a pair of VERY nice SURs (AEBRs = Awesomely Evil Black Rifles).

A family that shoots together, survives together

__________________

Last edited by moshpit; 06-08-2010 at 05:32 PM.
moshpit is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
savagemic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 22
Default

Sounds awesome! That's cool that your wife is really into shooting as well! Can't wait to hear your feedback on the lower.

__________________

--
Epic Tactical - Gun reviews and more!

Love guns? Wanna talk about them? Apply within!

savagemic is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:36 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,590
Liked 1026 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

Default

I know you'll be very happy with the Spikes lower, Mosh. They're a top notch company in every way. The YHM upper should function just fine on it too.

Usually the main complaint when mixing brands of uppers and lowers is the color, texture and finish. And sometimes the fit is slightly off, maybe a little tight or loose or just that the little cap on the upper that sits on top of the channel in the magwell for the magazine catch. (That part on my S&W M&P-15 lower doesn't match well with my ArmaLite upper or BCM but it's only cosmetic, not a functional problem.)

When dry you may notice finish differences but a little oil rubbed in goes a long way to solving it.

ETA:
BTW, Spikes has fantastic uppers too. The LE middy and carbine are right around $500 yet rival BCM in every way. Opps, I may be costing you more money...

__________________

Last edited by Quentin; 06-09-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:43 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 165
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I know you'll be very happy with the Spikes lower, Mosh. They're a top notch company in every way. The YHM upper should function just fine on it too.

Usually the main complaint when mixing brands of uppers and lowers is the color, texture and finish. And sometimes the fit is slightly off, maybe a little tight or loose or just that the little cap on the upper that sits on top of the channel in the magwell for the magazine catch. (That part on my S&W M&P-15 lower doesn't match well with my ArmaLite upper or BCM but it's only cosmetic, not a functional problem.)

When dry you may notice finish differences but a little oil rubbed in goes a long way to solving it.

ETA:
BTW, Spikes has fantastic uppers too. The LE middy and carbine are right around $500 yet rival BCM in every way. Opps, I may be costing you more money...
LOL, that's an easy thing to do, lately. Cost money. Half way through my first project, I started a second one. Now that I'm almost finished with the second project, now I'm eyeballing the next one. Problem is I'm still debating what the third project will be. I still have a little over 6 months till my eldest daughter is 18 and I build up hers. I may take your Spikes upper suggestion for that hers, but I'm itching for a slightly bigger bullet version for myself also and have been eyeballing several 6.8 or .308 possibilities.
__________________
moshpit is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:45 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 165
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Well, crudola. The lower is now sitting up at Red's, awaiting me to come pick it up, and my wife is out of town until Tuesday for a friends birthday. I told her I'd happily go pick it up for her this weekend, but she wants to sign the yellow form herself since this is her rifle, and she's proud of that. I got a dose of "The Eyes" from her for even suggesting I would do it for her. I called Red's and told them what was going on and they LAUGHED at me!!! In fact, I laughed too, it is pretty damned funny. I brought this on myself, I got her all excited about this.

In the meantime, I figured since all of her components going on it will be almost exactly like my selections (she wanted the same pistol grip, AFG, and Eotech on hers), I figured a pic of my lower with her upper and goodies would be a good teaser. She's not fond at all of my new ACS I added to mine (she thinks it's too wide at it's base) and prefers the standard 6-position stock and wants to keep that on her's (prefers thinner end of it), so fortunately this pic is from before I added that. And she won't have the big light hanging off the front either, nor will I, getting us both something smaller and more compact.



The only real difference is her's won't have the big M&P 15 on the side, otherwise it should be identical to that.

__________________

Last edited by moshpit; 06-12-2010 at 05:22 PM.
moshpit is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
AR15 YHM Loaded Black Diamond Specter carbine HK911 Sponsor Display 0 12-17-2009 05:34 PM
YHM-15 Rifles AR15 Loaded Black Diamond Specter XL carbine HK911 Sponsor Display 0 12-17-2009 05:27 PM
YHM-15 Rifles AR15 Loaded Black Diamond Specter XL carbine HK911 Sponsor Display 0 12-17-2009 05:25 PM
AR15 Lower assembly question ChuckD AR-15 Discussion 5 04-28-2009 06:01 PM