Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Yet another noobie AR build :D

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 07:22 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
The S&W slider does not slide on your RE and there are no holes drilled in the bottom of RE (tube)? MN isn't a ban state, right? Cause you'd expect 4-6 holes drilled in a non-ban RE.

You want to get a proper RE that allows stock length adjustment. It sounds like you've got a milspec stock wedged on a commercial tube.
From the pictures, it looks like it might be one solid piece?

Bravo Company USA is a solid company to buy from and I used them a lot for my build. They carry Daniel Defense barrels with a 1/9 twist. They have been out of stock for a while though. As soon as highly desirable items pop up on that site, they are gone!

DD Stripped Barrel
DD Barrel

It sounds like you are going a little too fast with your build (which is not really a huge problem). Just take your time, compare prices, read reviews and ask questions here. We are more than happy to help.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 04-22-2011, 03:33 AM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
From the pictures, it looks like it might be one solid piece?

Bravo Company USA is a solid company to buy from and I used them a lot for my build. They carry Daniel Defense barrels with a 1/9 twist. They have been out of stock for a while though. As soon as highly desirable items pop up on that site, they are gone!

DD Stripped Barrel
DD Barrel

It sounds like you are going a little too fast with your build (which is not really a huge problem). Just take your time, compare prices, read reviews and ask questions here. We are more than happy to help.
Yes it is one solid piece and i was just thinking about that today, i let my excitement get the best of me and mistakes were made. Definitely gonna slow down and take my time selecting the upper. I did do my research on the lower though and did not find anything negative as well as fitment thus far has been perfect.
Quote:
ETA:
Sorry to say but this whole buy is sounding screwier and screwier. Don't know about this dealer.

And be careful about building a FrankenAR monster. Use quality parts and that won't happen.
Mistakes were made and i should have taken the time to examine the stock before purchasing, i can't really blame the dealer for that one. As for the parts kit, that one is on DPMS as it was a sealed package but they are sending me the correct pin and they even gave me a couple extra bolt catch roll pins even after i told them that i launched it Thanks guys for all the advice it is much appreciated!

Old 04-22-2011, 04:21 AM   #23

Liked 929 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieKiller83 View Post
Yes it is one solid piece ...Mistakes were made and i should have taken the time to examine the stock before purchasing, i can't really blame the dealer for that one...
The RE and slider are definitely not one solid piece but they could be pinned for use in a ban state or left over stock from 2004.

I would definitely blame the dealer if you were sold that in a non-ban state unless he explained it beforehand.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If I didnt live in a ban state I sure as hell wouldnt want a pinned stock.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #25

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Any thoughts on this upper Spike's Tactical 16 M4 LE Upper (5.56) [STU5025-Mxx] - $525.00 : Spikes Tactical

Old 04-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #26

Liked 929 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 908

The Spikes is a decent upper but I would look at midlength gas over carbine length. I'd go for BCM or Daniel Defense myself but of course you don't have to. One good thing about Spikes they throw in their buffer which probably is better than the one you got with your stock kit.

Too bad about the delay but that's common lately.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #27

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Spikes makes a good product but Id look at AIM Surplus Home for one. They have them in stock (no wait) quite often and for lower prices.

Also go w/ a mid length non M4 profile. Look into a lightweight.

I forget who makes their barrels but they come from a respected manufacturer. Their BCGs are FA and properly tested. Spikes is much, much better than BM, DPMS, etc. Id put them below BCM.

---

I wouldn't consider a 1/9 barrel highly desirable.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:25 AM   #28

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Spikes makes a good product but Id look at AIM Surplus Home for one. They have them in stock (no wait) quite often and for lower prices.

Also go w/ a mid length non M4 profile. Look into a lightweight.

I forget who makes their barrels but they come from a respected manufacturer. Their BCGs are FA and properly tested. Spikes is much, much better than BM, DPMS, etc. Id put them below BCM.

---

I wouldn't consider a 1/9 barrel highly desirable.
Probably a stupid question but whats the difference between the mid length and M4 profile? Just more reliable?

Old 04-24-2011, 01:53 AM   #29

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieKiller83 View Post
Probably a stupid question but whats the difference between the mid length and M4 profile? Just more reliable?
A mid length gas system is smoother and is said to be less harsh on the rifle. A M4 profiled barrel has the M203 notch and is front heavy.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:01 AM   #30

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
A mid length gas system is smoother and is said to be less harsh on the rifle. A M4 profiled barrel has the M203 notch and is front heavy.
Ahhhh makes sense so you're recommending something like this one then BCM BFH 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group