Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Yet another noobie AR build :D

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

They have a "lost parts kit" on Midway, but its hard to find them in stock.

Lost Parts Kit

Pin Kit

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 04-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Wait til you take one to the face. It's like the gunsmith money shot.

Any thoughts on what you are going to do for an upper?
I'm thinking either a Stag upper or Daniel Defense but have not written off Del-ton either. Gonna go with the 16" barrel for my first one, definately want a 5.56 barrel. Would the 1:9 twist be the best option?
Quote:
They have a "lost parts kit" on Midway, but its hard to find them in stock.

Lost Parts Kit

Pin Kit
Thanks man! Gonna order the pin kit hopefully on Friday Appreciate all the help guys! So here's something weird, The Command Arms stock kit claims it is six way adjustable BUT it's not and it has the Smith & Wesson logo on it??? But it is sturdy with no wobble which to me is a definite plus!

Old 04-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #13

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Good on ya for doing your own build.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #14

Liked 929 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieKiller83 View Post
Yeah i just rechecked it, put it up next to the take down pin and it is very easy to see that the diameter of the pin is indeed larger. I have got to order another parts kit anyways so im gonna cross my fingers that i get the correct pin. And just for reference i put the take down pin in the pivot pin hole and it fit perfect minus being too short for obvious reasons. My guess would be it was just a little mix up in the packaging department but other than that the other parts fit great and it's even got a decent trigger pull
Hey, just go to the local shop where you bought the LPK and show them the pivot pin. I bet DPMS accidentally put their AR-10 style pin in that kit. I got an ArmaLite kit with an AR-10 pivot pin and they sent me the proper one. Since whoever assembled that kit was asleep at the wheel you might as well tell them the detent was missing too. Since it's a bum kit it has to go back to DPMS anyway unless they just give you the parts.

If the shop won't take care of it, DPMS will mail you the pin and detent for free.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 04-21-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Pin kit is ordered and on the way BTW in case any of you don't know, avoid https://jsgunparts.com like the plague! Ordered a bunch of stuff from them 3-31-11, and they still have not shipped it, let alone billed it even. Oh and did i mention their communication is slow and very vague.. Emailed them after two weeks of no show and all i got back was "Sorry for the delay, i hope to ship this week".... That was last week

Old 04-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #16

Quote:
I'm thinking either a Stag upper or Daniel Defense but have not written off Del-ton either. Gonna go with the 16" barrel for my first one, definately want a 5.56 barrel. Would the 1:9 twist be the best option?

Thanks man! Gonna order the pin kit hopefully on Friday Appreciate all the help guys! So here's something weird, The Command Arms stock kit claims it is six way adjustable BUT it's not and it has the Smith & Wesson logo on it??? But it is sturdy with no wobble which to me is a definite plus!
I got a Daniel Defense midlength upper earlier this year and can highly recommend them. It's 1:7" which is best if you'll be using 55-75gr ammo. 1:9 for 69 and under.

Interesting you got a S&W slider on CAA. I thought CAA was commercial diameter and I know S&W is milspec dia. That would definitely make for a snug fit - it's not too tight is it. Is the receiver extension drilled for four holes not six? If so it's probably milspec. Definitely weird mix of parts you got there!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:02 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Hey, just go to the local shop where you bought the LPK and show them the pivot pin. I bet DPMS accidentally put their AR-10 style pin in that kit. I got an ArmaLite kit with an AR-10 pivot pin and they sent me the proper one. Since whoever assembled that kit was asleep at the wheel you might as well tell them the detent was missing too. Since it's a bum kit it has to go back to DPMS anyway unless they just give you the parts.

If the shop won't take care of it, DPMS will mail you the pin and detent for free.
Still gonna call them and see if i can get those two replaced(never hurts to have spare parts) but i ended up finding these Ar - 15 Receiver Pins, Shooting Accessories, Tactical Supply Depo at Sportsman's Guide could care less about the graphics but like the idea of being able to pull them out with my fingers. I've heard nothing but great things about DPMS customer service so i have no doubt they will take care of it. The shop i got the parts from is about an hour away haha so i'll just deal with DPMS directly on this. The only other shop locally(about a ten minute drive) that sells AR parts only sells completed lowers and his pricing was quite high.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I got a Daniel Defense midlength upper earlier this year and can highly recommend them. It's 1:7" which is best if you'll be using 55-75gr ammo. 1:9 for 69 and under.

Interesting you got a S&W slider on CAA. I thought CAA was commercial diameter and I know S&W is milspec dia. That would definitely make for a snug fit - it's not too tight is it. Is the receiver extension drilled for four holes not six? If so it's probably milspec. Definitely weird mix of parts you got there!
Actually it's really weird cuz there are no holes drilled and it does not slide but the guy gave me a good deal on it so i'm not going to complain. If it turns out i don't like it can always replace it but so far im loving how solid it is

Old 04-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congratulations and good luck with your build.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Actually it's really weird cuz there are no holes drilled and it does not slide but the guy gave me a good deal on it so i'm not going to complain. If it turns out i don't like it can always replace it but so far im loving how solid it is
The S&W slider does not slide on your RE and there are no holes drilled in the bottom of RE (tube)? MN isn't a ban state, right? Cause you'd expect 4-6 holes drilled in a non-ban RE.

You want to get a proper RE that allows stock length adjustment. It sounds like you've got a milspec stock wedged on a commercial tube.

ETA:
Sorry to say but this whole buy is sounding screwier and screwier. Don't know about this dealer.

And be careful about building a FrankenAR monster. Use quality parts and that won't happen.

______

Last edited by Quentin; 04-21-2011 at 06:40 PM.