Yet another noobie AR build :D
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Yet another noobie AR build :D

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 03:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Yet another noobie AR build :D

Went to a local gun shop with the intentions of shopping for a 1911 but picked this stuff up instead

Decided to support the locals in New Hope, MN by purchasing an Ardel Engineering lower receiver. Picked up a Command Arms butt stock/buffer set-up, DPMS lower parts kit and a Hogue pistol grip

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2011, 04:21 AM   #2

Likes Given: 2

Sounds like a good start.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:31 AM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Hate to be the one to break the bad news but you can't build a 1911 with that stuff...they really saw you coming.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-21-2011, 04:57 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Looks great. I've used those DPMS LPKs on my last couple of builds and they have been great.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 04-21-2011, 05:45 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Alright i've run into some issues 1. launched the bolt catch roll pin haha she's gone 2. Front pivot pin is either too big or the hole is too small 3. Not quite sure if this is normal but when the hammer is down, selector will not go into safe

Either way probably gonna have to buy another parts kit any thoughts?

Old 04-21-2011, 06:04 AM   #6

Liked 1019 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

It's normal that the hammer has to be cocked before you can move the selector to safe. And of course don't let it drop without catching it with your thumb.

Does the pivot pin go in ok on the other side?

You can buy small parts cheap but then the shipping usually gets you. Might be best just to get another LPK since the spares are real handy. I keep a spare LPK.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:13 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
It's normal that the hammer has to be cocked before you can move the selector to safe. And of course don't let it drop without catching it with your thumb.

Does the pivot pin go in ok on the other side?

You can buy small parts cheap but then the shipping usually gets you. Might be best just to get another LPK since the spares are real handy. I keep a spare LPK.
Ok thanks haha just wanted to make sure that was normal. The pivot pin is to big for either side but its weird cuz the take-down pin fit perfect Are the pins supposed to be different sizes or is it possible i got an incorrect pin with my kit?

Old 04-21-2011, 06:36 AM   #8

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieKiller83 View Post
Ok thanks haha just wanted to make sure that was normal. The pivot pin is to big for either side but its weird cuz the take-down pin fit perfect Are the pins supposed to be different sizes or is it possible i got an incorrect pin with my kit?
May have gotten an out of spec pin or the lower itself may be out of spec. There are really only 2 possible sizes for an AR lower, the Colt large pin receivers, rare these days, and standard mil spec lowers...all AR parts are designed to be interchangeable.

Are you sure it doesn't fit or is it just very snug? Sometimes the holes get overcoated with the finish and appear to be too small, might be worth a try to see if you can gently spin the pin into the hole, a light coating of oil might help. It's not uncommon for the pins to be snug when first inserted.

Of course try this without the detent and spring at first so you don't have to struggle with them, that detent is hands down the most ball busting part of the build...aside from the bolt catch roll pin but you discovered that already...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-21-2011, 06:51 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
May have gotten an out of spec pin or the lower itself may be out of spec. There are really only 2 possible sizes for an AR lower, the Colt large pin receivers, rare these days, and standard mil spec lowers...all AR parts are designed to be interchangeable.

Are you sure it doesn't fit or is it just very snug? Sometimes the holes get overcoated with the finish and appear to be too small, might be worth a try to see if you can gently spin the pin into the hole, a light coating of oil might help. It's not uncommon for the pins to be snug when first inserted.

Of course try this without the detent and spring at first so you don't have to struggle with them, that detent is hands down the most ball busting part of the build...aside from the bolt catch roll pin but you discovered that already...
Yeah i just rechecked it, put it up next to the take down pin and it is very easy to see that the diameter of the pin is indeed larger. I have got to order another parts kit anyways so im gonna cross my fingers that i get the correct pin. And just for reference i put the take down pin in the pivot pin hole and it fit perfect minus being too short for obvious reasons. My guess would be it was just a little mix up in the packaging department but other than that the other parts fit great and it's even got a decent trigger pull

Old 04-21-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieKiller83 View Post
Alright i've run into some issues 1. launched the bolt catch roll pin haha she's gone
Wait til you take one to the face. It's like the gunsmith money shot.

Any thoughts on what you are going to do for an upper?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer