Yes another thread... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Yes another thread...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 02:26 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3ritas_A3quitas View Post
But what are the differences in ammo with the AR? Between .22 and 5.56? Which one should my AR use?

The cartridge on the left is a .22LR (Bullet diameter .223 in/5.7 mm, Case type; Rimmed, Straight) and the cartridge on the right is the .223 Rem/5.56 NATO (Bullet diameter .224 in/5.7 mm, Case type; Rimless, bottleneck) both considered 22 caliber.

Which one did you shoot at the range?

Quote:
What exactly is an upper and a lower? What are things to look for when buying them?

^ This is a sample of "complete" uppers. You can buy these on line and have them shipped directly to you.

^ These are samples of "stripped & complete" lowers. You can also purchase these on line but will need to have them shipped to a FFL for transfer to you. This is the part of the AR that carry's the serial number. You can have one lower and attach several different uppers.

This is a complete AR with the upper and lower joined. You can also buy complete ARs on line and will need to have them shipped to a FFL for transfer to you.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-23-2010, 02:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post

The cartridge on the left is a .22LR (Bullet diameter .223 in/5.7 mm, Case type; Rimmed, Straight) and the cartridge on the right is the .223 Rem/5.56 NATO (Bullet diameter .224 in/5.7 mm, Case type; Rimless, bottleneck) both considered 22 caliber.

Which one did you shoot at the range?

^ This is a sample of "complete" uppers. You can buy these on line and have them shipped directly to you.

^ These are samples of "stripped & complete" lowers. You can also purchase these on line but will need to have them shipped to a FFL for transfer to you. This is the part of the AR that carry's the serial number. You can have one lower and attach several different uppers.

This is a complete AR with the upper and lower joined. You can also buy complete ARs on line and will need to have them shipped to a FFL for transfer to you.
Thanks canebrake that is sooooo helpful. I definitely shot the .22LR at the range. But it felt weird, almost like shooting a airsoft gun.

The gun I want to build is definitely a SHTF gun, and one I can modify and take to the range to get better with. Anyone have suggestions on some upper an lowers? I like the A4 lower Better than the A2, after looking at the pictures above. Should I buy a complete lower, or a stripped down one? My budget for building will probably be in the $700 range.

Thanks again guys you've been a lot of help!
help.

Last edited by V3ritas_A3quitas; 03-23-2010 at 02:39 AM.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks JD,

I've got a few more questions for you guys. First, when you guys say build, do
you mean as in piece by piece building for instance the lower, so I have to build every little piece seperately or do you guys mean like, a lower, upper, etc.. And then putting it together?

Would you guys mind giving me like a list o the parts I need to buy so I can begin to search for the parts I would want to get?

Thanks guys, you've been a big help!
Just did a build p/n dump in another thread.

If you care to read, go here:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/playing-idea-building-my-own-rifle-24988/#post255125

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 03-23-2010, 04:40 AM   #14

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutabam View Post
I don't know how many states, except, probably, most states. Owning machine guns is legal, per Federal law. Never heard of Form 4, paying the $200 transfer tax, etc., etc?? Oh, BTW, silencers (suppressors) are also legal in most states. Machine guns must have been manufactured and properly registered prior to '86. Lots of folks own machine guns. Never heard of the Knob Hill Machine Gun Shoot?

Don't be sarcastic Noob, have a little respect in your responses to someone questioning your statements.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:53 AM   #15

Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

I've been seeing a not so pretty trend of this attitude toward senior members.

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Old 03-23-2010, 07:21 PM   #16

So I looked at that thread canebrake but I'm still a little confused. So to build the gun I only need a complete upper and a complete lower? Do I buy them both that way or just a complete upper and buy the lower in parts? Any recommendation for what company to buy from? I kinda just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:12 PM   #17

Depends really on what the word complete means when refering to uppers and lowers. You could snag both of these,

Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 Complete Lower Receiver with Buttstock
DSAZM4 A3 Upper Rcr With 16" Barrel *PARKED* M4-DSZM4CBUPARK-D S Arms

then snag a bolt carrier group for around $110-130, a $15 charging handle, and a $30 detachable carrying handle/w sights and hit the range (unless Ive over looked something)

Theres a lot of options,
Stripped Lowers - just one chunk of metal
Complete lowers - chunk of metal + all the parts from a LPK (lower parts kit)
Complete lower with stock - chunk of metal+LPK+stock(and its parts)

Old 03-23-2010, 11:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Thanks canebrake that is sooooo helpful. I definitely shot the .22LR at the range. But it felt weird, almost like shooting a airsoft gun.

The gun I want to build is definitely a SHTF gun, and one I can modify and take to the range to get better with. Anyone have suggestions on some upper an lowers? I like the A4 lower Better than the A2, after looking at the pictures above. Should I buy a complete lower, or a stripped down one? My budget for building will probably be in the $700 range.

help.
I bought this 5.56 NATO Colt 6940 complete for ~2 X your budget.

I got my daughter this 22LR Colt M4 for <$500.

I bought the complete upper and built the lower on this Hog Gun.

You can get in cheap and fast like this:

Olympic Arms AR15 Rifle

Problem is, it's been my experience that guys that do this are always disappointed unless they bought the gun for the farm or truck.

Stag Arms

Del-Ton, DTI-4 Rifle

Rock River Arms

DPMS: AR-15 Rifles

I'm confident you can build a gun you will be happy with for your budget. Just take your time, ask a ton of questions and do not compromise or be bullied into a gun that's not you!

Stay here in the AR15 section and read everything you can, ask questions when you run across something that does not make sense. There are no dumb questions, just good members that are willing to help you achieve your finished AR.

It is very cathartic when you pull the loud switch on your first round. At that moment the question shift's from, "Can I do this?" to "I did that!" Verrrry cool.

- orangello

Old 03-24-2010, 12:22 AM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

help.
In the $700 range, know that your choices will be pretty limited. However, not impossible. I don't know what your transfer fees would be to your local FFL, but here's an option for you:

R-Guns.Net

DPMS 16" A3 Sportical Rifle
NOW IN STOCK
$629.00

Other than that, there are options that will get you into a very good AR, but you'll be pushing the $700 limit. The one above gives you a little bit leftover for some type of sights.

Slo

Old 03-24-2010, 12:31 AM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Category: Rock River Arms Barreled Uppers Rock River Arms Mid Length A4 Lightweight Complete Upper The NEW Rock River Arms 16" Wilson lightweight, Govt. contour chrome moly ( NOT CHROME LINED ) barrel with 5.56 NATO chamber and 1/9 twist rate. Midlength handguards and steel front sight tower with bayonet lug. Flat top receiver.
Complete with bolt carrier assembly and forged charging handle.

Our Price: each $470.00

Category: Rock River Arms Lowers Rock River Arms Complete Lower Standard Trigger A2 Stock Rock River Arms Complete Lower Standard Trigger A2 Stock. Copy of FFL Required for purchase.

Our Price: each Was $290.00
On Sale For $265.00

Doing the math, that is a brand new Rock River Mid Length Gas system, 16" A4 complete upper, with Rock River A2 stock lower with standard trigger, for a grand total of $735!

Keep in mind that is WITHOUT transfer fees or shipping.

PK Firearms

Also, you would still need some type of rear sight or optics.

Slo