Yes another thread...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Yes another thread...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 05:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Yes another thread...

Hey guys new here to the forums! Been lurking for a couple of days. Anyways, i recently went shooting for the first time in my life and really enjoyed it. Coupled with the fact ive been reading about when TSHTF scenarios and such recently, I've really started to gain an interest in owning and learning how to use a gun.

I've read through all of juhno's and others threads and really am interested in building my own AR. So I thought I'd drop in and ask for your guys' help! I'm not very savvy with guns yet as I've just gotten interested so ANY information you guys can give me would be great.

The AR I shot at the range was a .22. I really liked the style of the gun, but idk if that is a normal sized bullet for the AR or not. Like I said I don't know too much yet but I'm anxious to learn and I hope you guys can help me out and point me in the right direction.

I know I've kinda ranted on so I'll kind of sum up what I'm asking. Just really some beginner info about ARs and also some tips and recommendations about how and what I should get to build my own AR.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-22-2010, 03:26 PM   #2

I cant help you with the building aspect as thats what im around this parts trying to learn myself but my advice for someone with your experience around firearms is to learn what you can about them outside of actually firing them. You dont have to be at a range to learn the proper safety and manipulation of a firearm.

Ive spent a good deal of time training various personel on several rifles and id have given my right leg for them to have the basics down(or understood english). Its much easier to teach how to actually properly shoot a rifle than to teach why you manipulate the rifle the way you do.

Even stuff like
HowStuffWorks "How Machine Guns Work"
is a good start. Just understanding the mechanics of a rifle is a large part of proper manipulation. The differences in magazine changes on an empty chamber vs a round in the chamber, stance, proper sight alignment/sight picture, where what parts are on the weapon, how your hands will move to manipulate these parts, etc can all be learned to a point without actual trigger time.

Heres a ton of info on the M16 family of weapons, a lot of it is crap you can ignore for now but a lot of it is solid information. Safety Rules and Weapon Conditions are pretty standard stuff to know.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/432351/USMC-MCRP-301A-Rifle-Marksmanship

Last edited by JR36; 03-22-2010 at 03:36 PM.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #3

Thanks JR for the suggestions. When I went to the range I was taught how some of the stuff generally works. correct stance, breathing, aiming, and am overview of how the guns I was shooting worked.

But what are the differences in ammo with the AR? Between .22 ans 5.56? Which one should my Ar use?

What exactly is an upper and a lower? What are things to look for ehen buying them?

Thanks again JR as I'll definitely be trying to catch up on the stuff I don't have to be at the range to learn.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #4

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

First off, if you look at all the stickies above the thread that you just started, you'll see lots of good information on ARs and builds that were submitted by members of this forum.

Secondly, you want to dispel the notion that the AR is a machine gun, which it is NOT and which are highly illegal in this country!

Thirdly, there are lots of free videos on the Web (Brownell's and Midway to name a couple) that have excellent step-by-step instructions on how to put an AR together. Many members here will recommend that you build your own, which is really easy, so that you'll know from the get-go how everything works with the platform. Plus, you'll save some money to be able to put toward the optic that you're going to want.

The AR15 is chambered in 5.56 Nato/.223. .223 ammo is readily available in most parts of the country. After you get started, you can buy a conversion kit that you could use to convert your AR to .22, which is quite a bit cheaper to shoot and a heckuva lot of fun.

Lots of good support and information in this forum. These guys talked me through building mine. I would just recommend that you be patient and learn as much as you can before jumping in to anything. My desk is littered with expensive paperweights in the form of AR accessories that I bought before I knew exactly what I wanted or needed!

Old 03-22-2010, 08:19 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/lets-end-ar-bs-5843/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/how-build-ar-lower-receiver-4987/

A couple of threads you should read through. Building your own AR is a great way to go and gets you very familiar with the operation of the unit.

These weapons are not complicated, and people seem to think you need a degree in weaponscraft to maintain them. Don't fall into the hype. It's not that hard to make an AR run well and keep it clean so it will always run.

Best of luck.

JD

Old 03-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/lets-end-ar-bs-5843/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/how-build-ar-lower-receiver-4987/

A couple of threads you should read through. Building your own AR is a great way to go and gets you very familiar with the operation of the unit.

These weapons are not complicated, and people seem to think you need a degree in weaponscraft to maintain them. Don't fall into the hype. It's not that hard to make an AR run well and keep it clean so it will always run.

Best of luck.

JD
Thanks JD,

I've got a few more questions for you guys. First, when you guys say build, do
you mean as in piece by piece building for instance the lower, so I have to build every little piece seperately or do you guys mean like, a lower, upper, etc.. And then putting it together?

Would you guys mind giving me like a list o the parts I need to buy so I can begin to search for the parts I would want to get?

Thans guys, you've been a big help!

Old 03-22-2010, 09:30 PM   #7

I purchased the lower, stripped receiver completely naked. Since it's the piece with the serial number, you'll need to purchase it from a dealer or order it and have it shipped to an FFL.

Then you can order a lower parts kit LOTS of places. This will give you all you need for the lower. EASY to put together with just a couple tools....you can get a roll pin set for about $15 and you'll want a rubber mallet as well.

I bought a complete upper already assembled, because that's a little harder to put together. Now, just find the buttstock you want and **voila**....you have your AR.

One thing.....you might want to check out the special Rock River Arms has going on right now. They make really good stuff....and the deal is hard to beat, even with building your own.

Rock River Arms: NEW! RRA LAR-15 Operator Series

Old 03-22-2010, 09:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3ritas_A3quitas View Post
Thanks JD,

I've got a few more questions for you guys. First, when you guys say build, do
you mean as in piece by piece building for instance the lower, so I have to build every little piece seperately or do you guys mean like, a lower, upper, etc.. And then putting it together?

Would you guys mind giving me like a list o the parts I need to buy so I can begin to search for the parts I would want to get?

Thans guys, you've been a big help!

When we are talking build around here, about 95% of the time, we are talking about "Assembling" a weapon with purchased components.

There are exceptions, but those are not very common.

In the case of the AR platform, usually, we are talking about buying pieces and assembling the lower as a stand alone unit. An upper as a stand alone unit, and then putting them together to make the weapon.

For the lower you are going to need:

Lower Receiver - ( any one with a good price will do. Billet is better than cast, by a small margin, but it is better. Just don't buy cheap Chinese pot metal crap and you will be alright ).

Lower Receiver Parts Kit - This is going to be a bag of components ( springs, detents, pins, trigger, hammer fire control selector, take down and pivot pins, etc ). These will go into the Lower Receiver. Almost all the LPK's come with a standard pistol grip.Stock - You are going to need to choose one. Standard, solid, A2 stock. Collapsible. 5 Position. 6 Position. Everyone has their perfect choice. Make sure it comes with the Buffer Spring, the Buffer Tube & The Buffer. Some stocks come without them as a cheaper option. Don't get caught up in getting a lighter spring and a 9mm Buffer or any of that other crap people write about. Start with stock and tune from there. Magpul makes some of the best collapsible stocks I have tried, but they are not cheap.

That's about all you need for the lower. Check that link on How to Assemble your AR lower and all the parts will be shown in pictures and where they go.

From there, then we can talk about the upper.

JD

Old 03-22-2010, 10:00 PM   #9

I have had PM conversations with the OP and he shot an AR with a conversion kit.

If you can find a deal on one or two complete pieces, that is one way to go, but you don't learn anything about the weapon.

Junho, the college kid who's thread helped inspire the OP, started here knowing nothing and is now making regular changes to his AR platform because he gained the knowledge of how the weapon works.

That is invaluable in my estimation and is worth MUCH more than saving $50 or $100 on a mismatching upper and lower that someone else assembled for you.

But, that is my opinion. YMMV.

JD

Old 03-22-2010, 10:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutabam View Post

Last time I checked, machine guns aren't illegal in most states.
If I'm wrong, I apologize. Where do you get your information? Out of 50 states, do you know how many in which machine (automatic) guns are legal?