Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Yeah, another first builder. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/yeah-another-first-builder-67385/)

Kenney 06-30-2012 08:04 PM

Yeah, another first builder.

You've probably all heard this before, but I'm building my first AR15, so let me apologize in advance. I'm interested in a precision type with a emphasis on minimizing size and using as many polymer parts as possible to keep weight down. Outside of that, a 1911 style grip and using the standard 5.56 caliber are my only preferences. I know all fashions of pistols, but rifle...not so much, so I need some help on picking brands. Thanks in advance.

okdonk 06-30-2012 08:14 PM

Since u wanted to minimize weight.. which means u will be using polymer lower then? In that case you should check out New Frontier Armory poly lower. Some places sell about $50-80 each stripped. Or $99 for complete lower. I personally haven't had any experiences with poly lower.

purehavoc 06-30-2012 08:46 PM

Skip the poly lower your talking about a couple oz. difference. Sights , mags, etc are fine for poly but not main components. JMHO.

Quentin 06-30-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenney (Post 854461)
... emphasis on minimizing size and using as many polymer parts as possible to keep weight down. Outside of that, a 1911 style grip and using the standard 5.56 caliber are my only preferences. I know all fashions of pistols, but rifle...not so much, so I need some help on picking brands. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you should look at building an AR pistol!

Kenney 06-30-2012 09:00 PM

Skip poly receiver, right. This I know is kind of a day dream, but do they make 1911 style trigger receivers, preferably where it can accept drop ins? If not, could you direct me on which lower and upper I should look into? I barely recognize any of the brands.

Kenney 06-30-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin

Sounds like you should look at building an AR pistol!

That depends, I'm in Georgia so how much red tape am I going to have to wade through, and can I still use the 5.56 round?

Quentin 06-30-2012 09:05 PM

In GA it should be like buying any other pistol. Of course no shoulder stock on it. Yes you can use 5.56.

Kenney 06-30-2012 09:20 PM

I'm using this for rifle purposes, but I have to carry it about 4 miles, which is why I'm needing it small and light. Any thoughts?

Quentin 06-30-2012 10:50 PM

Well get a pencil profile barrel, you can get the basic rifle down around six pounds with that and other LW parts. Of course with sights, optic and sling you'll gain a pound. A full mag adds another.

Kenney 06-30-2012 11:08 PM

Do you know a fully assembled upper and a lower with out the pistol grip and buttstock? I got ideas for those two. Preferably one with as rail.