XM8 concept rifle - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > XM8 concept rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 11:07 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Isnt the ARX 160 made by Beretta?
Yes, the ARX is made by Berreta, but doesn't mean I can't be excited about it.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:13 PM   #12

Liked 1035 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPrecision

Yes, the ARX is made by Berreta, but doesn't mean I can't be excited about it.
I like it too, its pretty slick looking

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 09-25-2011, 07:42 AM   #13

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I don't see the military changing out the M4 any time soon. I feel like they'll upgrade the specs on the M4 before replacing it. i.e. piston system + free-float barrel, optics vs irons (although not to replace irons).

When/What would eventually replace the M4/M16? I can see something like a case-less ammo gun taking over. Something that might save the government some money and less weight for the solders.

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 09-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloves View Post
I don't see the military changing out the M4 any time soon. I feel like they'll upgrade the specs on the M4 before replacing it. i.e. piston system + free-float barrel, optics vs irons (although not to replace irons).

When/What would eventually replace the M4/M16? I can see something like a case-less ammo gun taking over. Something that might save the government some money and less weight for the solders.

Already been done the only Iron sights I have seen in a long time are the back up flip up sights and most don't even have those.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #15

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I don't mind the M16/M4 rifles at all, I like the older battle rifles better M1 Garand, M14...etc. But I don't think that there going to replace the M16 or the M4 for a while, Granted the HK416 does have some obvious pluses like the piston system instead of the straight gas system, which anyone that's handled a M16 on full auto that gas tube gets red hot after a little bit. The biggest thing that I don't like about the M16/M4's is the 5.56 I think they need a bigger round but thats just me.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 09-25-2011, 09:40 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeah, but even the civilian model of the 416 is like 3000 dollars, I think for cost alone HK wont ever get into the military market.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:19 AM   #17

Liked 1035 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPrecision
yeah, but even the civilian model of the 416 is like 3000 dollars, I think for cost alone HK wont ever get into the military market.
HK is vey proud of their stuff...thats for sure

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 09-26-2011, 06:25 AM   #18

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPrecision View Post
Yeah, but if you watch that video and pay attention it's rigged to side with the 416. Plus if you note they designed the test specifically to make the M4 explode, he even put on a ballistic facemask on just that one test because it was supposed to explode, Watch it and pay attention to the time they give the 416 to drain, almost 3 seconds and the M4..excuse me, the AR-15 gets just a hair over 1 second plus they tilt the gun to hold water in the barrel and create a hydraulic lock in the gas tube. Plus the barrel on the 416 is the short 10 inch model and the AR is using a standard length barrel. If they would have done the same thing to the 416 it would have blown up the piston assembly because neither are meant to be subjected to the forces of a liquid hydralics effect with those kinds of pressures.

That video alone ruined my Opinion of HK and their marketing I'll admit. One reason why I went with an M&P .45 over the HK45 on my latest purchase(along with the fact that it's stupid expensive and I could almost buy two pistols for the cost of one HK45) Its just another blatant marketing forced disaster especially since I know the actual M4 passed that test.
Not to sound like a know it all but isn't the HK just a piston version of an M4.

Think of how the two work. The barrel wasn't the cause of the failure, hence the barrel didn't burst the upper did. Think of where that gas pressure goes in a GI gun, and think of how thin the Al upper is. Also think about how they work, when the rifle was fired the bolt was locked in to the barrel, which would burst the barrel if obstructed. Google squib round to see what IM talking about

Now with a piston system the gas pressure is released right at the gas block on the top of the weapon, the first place the water would reside.

This vid makes perfect sense to me given the two OP systems.
The ak47 will pass all these text too.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:22 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc View Post
Not to sound like a know it all but isn't the HK just a piston version of an M4.

Think of how the two work. The barrel wasn't the cause of the failure, hence the barrel didn't burst the upper did. Think of where that gas pressure goes in a GI gun, and think of how thin the Al upper is. Also think about how they work, when the rifle was fired the bolt was locked in to the barrel, which would burst the barrel if obstructed. Google squib round to see what IM talking about

Now with a piston system the gas pressure is released right at the gas block on the top of the weapon, the first place the water would reside.

This vid makes perfect sense to me given the two OP systems.
The ak47 will pass all these text too.
That's why i specified it caused a hydraulic lock In the gas tube, that forces full pressure by the way of the liquid hydraulic effect into the receiver, and the 416 since it's a piston system would have it's piston assembly blow up if it were done the same way. the barrel on these is too thick to explode that's why when you see a blow up in these it's almost always the receiver end. The Piston system does have some advantages, but I've seen one blow up in a beach test and it blasts the vent out of it, it'll still function to some extent but lacks the pressure to cycle a round out completely, it'll fail to eject and jam in or it will not come back far enough and reinsert the spent casing.