XM8 concept rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > XM8 concept rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Wats the deal with the XM8? it looked like a promising platform at first, a lil futuristic but i actually like the looks of it.. Does anyone know wat happened with it or if it was ever produced for retail?

image-3105859869.png

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Last edited by MrWray; 09-20-2011 at 10:17 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If memory serves me correctly the program for it was put on hold due to the money situation and later the program was terminated I think in 2004-2005.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 09-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5677 Times on 2964 Posts
Likes Given: 375

yup terminated. it didnt outperform the M4 carbine by any great leap. whatever replaces the m16 rifle platform will prolly be a fundamental revolution for infantry weaponry. maybe an energy based weapon of some sort but i seriously dont see anything replacing the m16 that shoots a bullet proppelled bu gunpowder anytime soon.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-20-2011, 11:44 PM   #4

I have no doubt tht it didnt perform better than the M16 platform,thts some extremely big shoes to fill. I just think it looks cool and would just like to get my hands on one and play with it..

Old 09-21-2011, 12:20 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It reminds me alot of the G36 series of rifles by H&K. Probably, because H&K developed it . I can see the SCAR series of rifles replacing the M16 and M4, but that's only because I had the opportunity to handle one.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 09-21-2011, 01:50 AM   #6

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Personally I don't feel that any AR's, SCAR, XM8, or ACR feel right as a battle rifle.

Now before you guys crucify me let me say this, I do think it (M16/AR in particular) is a fine rifle, accurate, and regardless of what some people say it's reliable (at least it was for me).

I would just rather have wood and steel rather than plastics and composites. I put my Colt M16a2 through hell in boot camp, one of my DI's making us watch one thrown from the balcony of the 3rd floor of our barracks, and the rifle was none the worse for wear except for a few new scratches. Yeah, that should have convinced me right then and there, and I will concede that the a2 was/is tough as hell.

But it just don't feel right!! They feel like a mattel toy to me.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:15 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

the HK416 was the replacement program for the XM8 I think, and it's supposedly better than the M4 in many ways which may or may not be the case I havn't used one to know. I'm personally looking forward to getting my hands on an ARX 160, it looks to be an impressive platform and I would like to see how it holds up during extensive use. The idea of being able to switch ejection sides on the fly is especially interesting to me.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPrecision
the HK416 was the replacement program for the XM8 I think, and it's supposedly better than the M4 in many ways which may or may not be the case I havn't used one to know. I'm personally looking forward to getting my hands on an ARX 160, it looks to be an impressive platform and I would like to see how it holds up during extensive use. The idea of being able to switch ejection sides on the fly is especially interesting to me.
Isnt the ARX 160 made by Beretta?

Old 09-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPrecision View Post
the 416 is better than the m4. heres one reason why.
http://youtu.be/vjMH94PuT_I

Old 09-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerViolence View Post
the 416 is better than the m4. heres one reason why.
HK416 vs M4 - YouTube
Yeah, but if you watch that video and pay attention it's rigged to side with the 416. Plus if you note they designed the test specifically to make the M4 explode, he even put on a ballistic facemask on just that one test because it was supposed to explode, Watch it and pay attention to the time they give the 416 to drain, almost 3 seconds and the M4..excuse me, the AR-15 gets just a hair over 1 second plus they tilt the gun to hold water in the barrel and create a hydraulic lock in the gas tube. Plus the barrel on the 416 is the short 10 inch model and the AR is using a standard length barrel. If they would have done the same thing to the 416 it would have blown up the piston assembly because neither are meant to be subjected to the forces of a liquid hydralics effect with those kinds of pressures.

That video alone ruined my Opinion of HK and their marketing I'll admit. One reason why I went with an M&P .45 over the HK45 on my latest purchase(along with the fact that it's stupid expensive and I could almost buy two pistols for the cost of one HK45) Its just another blatant marketing forced disaster especially since I know the actual M4 passed that test.

Last edited by TacticalPrecision; 09-24-2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: forgot to mention barrel length-