X-Mas gift for the father inlaw.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > X-Mas gift for the father inlaw.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default X-Mas gift for the father inlaw.

Found this used at a local shop for $499, just need to get the right forward assist and flash hider to get it right.

I know the barrel isn't quite right, it a Gov. Profile chromed lined in 5.56 not .223. I know the barrel is suppose to be slimmer.

I will be picking up 5 steel 20rd mags to go with it as well and a hard case.

On a side note. The rear sight has two setting just like the a2 or a3, but on this a1 they seem to be the same. What's up with that.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #2

Liked 1032 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

What a great gift for your FIL! You done good Nathan!

I would go with the aluminum 20rd mags. Colt would really dress the A1 up. What brand is this, one of the Century models? Looks great whatever it is.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #3

Yep just found some 20rd original Colt mags for $18 a pop. The rifle looks to be from a parts kit with an Olympic lower.

The trigger that was in it was the worst trigger I have ever felt, worse than my SKS.

So I cleaned up, polished and used some dry lube to the factory trigger that came in my American Spirit Arms rifle and now its smooth as glass.

The BCG looks to have been a full auto that has been ground down and it had the full auto trigger group in it (not good).

I can't wait to get the tear drop forward assist and 3 prong A1 flash hider on it, IM also getting an original Colt bayonet to go with it.

I also need a video camera cause I can't wait to see his face when he opens this gift.

I don't know if u can see the mirror finish I put on the trigger and hammer

Here is why I say the BCG was ground down

I didn't want to put the ser.# the pic but its and odd one very very very low #, only 3 digits.

This was also the filthiest rifle I ever had the misfortune of cleaning. I ended up needing to use brake cleaner just to see the metal on the BCG, the lower I got frustrated with the lower and stripped it, took out side, put in a vice, and pressure washed LOL.It was really that bad.

Also that pin holds the firing pin place needed to be tapped out with a punch and hammer. it was also replaced. After these issues were corrected 90rds down range and yet another cleaning and its now flawless.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Nice Job Nathan!

Yeah..... we'd like to see a Pic of his Facial Expression when he opens it too!

Just two more months.....

Cheers!

BB

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Old 10-12-2011, 04:33 AM   #5

Great project and thanks for the excellent pictures! Your FIL better add you to the will.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Great project and thanks for the excellent pictures! Your FIL better add you to the will.
well maybe lol, but atleast this will be the last year he keeps asking to shoot mine

Old 10-12-2011, 07:08 AM   #7

are the 4x30 Colt scopes woth the $300 i keep seeing them go for. should i just go for a NcStar, BSA, Barska, or who ever else makes a clone of it.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:30 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5802 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc View Post
are the 4x30 Colt scopes woth the $300 i keep seeing them go for. should i just go for a NcStar, BSA, Barska, or who ever else makes a clone of it.
The bdc on the original colt scope really works. The real ones are made in japan. But unless your a collector there is no real reason to get one. One came with my colt sp1 when i bought it in the late 80s. They are nice but not 300+ nice just as a shooting scope

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #9

ok thats good to know. i have now orderd 4 colt 20rd mags, one colt bayonet, and i just need to make up my mind on what to do about the scope. i kinda want to give him a complete package

Old 10-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #10

The Colt 20rd magazines and M7 bayonet are a nice touch on that rifle!

______