WOW-My first AR
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > WOW-My first AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default WOW-My first AR

Hello all, getting ready to pull the trigger on my first AR. I've been reading here for an hour and wow, there is alot to know and learn. I'm trying to decide whether to buy complete gun or build my own so I started here for info. My buddie bought a remington r-15 and it shoots great but if I can build one and have it shoot just as good that would be great. Then it would be more custom to me and maybe appreciate it more. My head is spinning with all the different brands and parts you can get for these things. If I build one I want excellent quality stuff. Can you guys throw some names at me for quality uppers and lowers and anything else I need to know. I would just like to narrow it down some. It's main purpose will be for hunting so accuracy is important. I'm not opossed to buying one as long as it's worth it and will shot good. Thank you very much.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Stop in a your local firearm dealer and handle a few and decide what appeals to you.

I prefer a flat top for hunting as they are more optic compatible IMHO.

You can also check out sites like AR15.com or just start asking specific questions on this forum, lots of knowledge here.

Welcome to the Evil Black Gun sickness.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #3

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Welcome and congrats on finding the best forum on the web! You will get a lot of responses suggesting you build you own AR, i suggest you take that advice. The folks here are a wealth of knowledge and will gladly help you out.

Good luck and let us know how it goes

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 08-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

My first recommendation would be to read some of the threads that are stickied to the top of this section. There have been no less than 25-30 people who came here with almost your same post, and did some research for you.

Read what happened in those threads and then come back with some specific questions. I think you will find short of finding a screaming deal on a pre-built AR, building one is the best way to go to get the best stick for the money.

JD

Old 08-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #5

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

IMHO build your own, you will be glad you did.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I bought my first AR, a Colt LE 6940 and love the gun.

Then I built my next AR, a 458SOCOM with the "extras" I wanted on the Colt.

I give you MAGNUM P*I*G a .45 cal AR!

BUILD YOUR OWN!

• Billet Lower
  • Trigger of choice
  • Caliber of choice
  • Charging handle of choice
  • Grip of choice
  • Forward grip of choice
  • Flash hider of choice
  • Stock of choice
  • EOP (Elevated Optical Platform)
  • Optics and sights of choice

And, * PRESTO * it's Cowboy45's AR! But you will never come up with a cooler name than MAGNUM P*I*G.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-10-2010, 11:53 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Although I can't technically say I built this one from the ground up I did choose the pieces that make it up. The lower is a standard Stag model with a standard A2 stock and the addition of a Timiney trigger (it couldn't have been easier to install). the lower was purchased complete from PK firearms (they are on the internet and I have had nothing but good things to say about them). The upper consists of a Knight Armaments receiver, a Sabre Defense 18 inch Stainless fluted barrel with a 1 in 8 twist and with m4 feed ramp, a low profile gas block, a 12 inch YHM diamond pattern quad rail and it also came with a Vortex flash suppressor (which I had changed for a muzzle brake to satisfy NY laws).
Everything went together perfectly and tightly (which doesn't always happen when mixing and matching different uppers and lowers).
I've also added Troy Industries rail covers. a Burris P.E.P.R. one peice mount and a Weaver Classic V24 6-24 scope.

Putting together your own rifle can be very satisfying and unless you find a factory model that has everthing your looking for you might go the build it yourself route.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:52 AM   #8

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I built mine with stripped lower, parts, a complete upper, and a few doo dads. I'm having troubles with it now. But I'm able to work through those problems because I know how it all works. Every part has been through my own hands.

I saved at least a couple hundred dollars, too, probably more.

Ammo, baby!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 08-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #9

Trying to figure out the caliber/chamber thing. I saw the "wylde" chamber but really don't what they mean by that. If you get a chambered 5.56 than you can shoot .223 right, but not the other way around? Is the wylde chamber a .223 that will alow 5.56? If I'm going for accuracy should I stick with a caliber that cut for one or the other and stick with that caliber? Thanks.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy45 View Post
Trying to figure out the caliber/chamber thing. I saw the "wylde" chamber but really don't what they mean by that. If you get a chambered 5.56 than you can shoot .223 right, but not the other way around? Is the wylde chamber a .223 that will alow 5.56? If I'm going for accuracy should I stick with a caliber that cut for one or the other and stick with that caliber? Thanks.
Hey Cowboy
Is Ca the same as CA. meaning you live in California like me? If so you have very specific criteria for owning an AR.

First off if this is to be used for hunting is the AR approved? I'm not a hunter so I don't know, but isn't there some hunting regulation about rifles only having a four round mag? ARs have at least ten.

Then there is a list of banned weapons in CA including most major brand ARs. You will need to get what is known as an "off list" AR. Then you have to have certain features on an AR in CA. that any gun shop will already comply with. If you want a major name brand like Rock River you will need to build a lower yourself on an off list receiver. Then you can put any upper you want on it. The receiver is what is regulated. I built an AR with a Panther upper, and am doing another with a Stag upper. Not allowed to have a Stag AR but with the OL receiver you can do the build with all other parts from Stag and still be OK with Cali restrictions.

Here is the CA DOJ website with a lot of good info about bad laws.
Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

Any help you need give me a PM. Happy to help if I can.

Jo

Last edited by Jo da Plumbr; 08-12-2010 at 04:21 PM.