Would you buy a WMD BCG?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Would you buy a WMD BCG?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I'm looking for a really good bolt carrier group.
I found a nickel boron one made by WMD and was hoping to get some reviews from y'all and see if its a good choice..,
Someone told me its the same company that manufacturers BCGs for spikes and other top notch companies...
This is my first build and really appreciate all the help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #2

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

I've heard good things about it but wouldn't consider it myself.

Just remember that you can chrome plate/NiB a turd so make sure first that it's not a turd. Study the specs carefully vs. BCM's specs.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 994 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I've got WMD NiB-X BCG, stripped upper, 30 round mag and fire control group. All are nickel boron coated. Their BCG is not a turd. It is one of the best that I have seen and I do have another from another vendor that runs great, but is not near the quality. I am so impressed with their parts that I have sent off several of the parts for my next build to have NiB-X coated as well.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 07-03-2013, 02:10 AM   #4

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

I didn't say it was, just to compare its specs with known good BCGs. External plating isn't what matters in a BCG.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:35 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

So I went with a chrome played Les Baer match BCG....it costed me a pretty penny but it will be smooth as butter. And every BCG I can find at a local gun store is only $50 less. I figured I'd spend the extra dough and get something amazing.

I'll have this Les Baer BCG in my BCM upper...and it'll make for a really nice upper I will have for a long time/life

Old 07-03-2013, 03:10 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 994 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
I didn't say it was, just to compare its specs with known good BCGs. External plating isn't what matters in a BCG.
I wasn't making any accusations, so don't take offense. Just saying, as I have one, that they are top notch. I have seen some good ones and some really bad ones and the WMDs are some of the better ones. The market has been flooded with a bunch of junk during this left wing inspired scare.

Here are the specs on the WMD BCG........

WMD Guns drop-in Nickle Boron M16 Style Bolt and Carrier Assembly/Group (BCG) is developed to increase reliability and ease of cleaning and maintaining your M16/AR-15 type rifles. The bolt carrier is M16 (full auto) stlye.

Drop-In AR-15 BCGs to increase reliability and ease cleaning and maintenance.
Bolt – Carpenter 158 case hardened, shot peened and magnetic particle inspected. Manufactured to Government drawings. Mil Spec gas rings. NiB-X coated (40% more wear resistant than Chrome).
Extractor – Manufactured, heat treated, hardened, per Government drawings. Black extractor buffer and heavy duty spring. NiB-X coated.
Firing Pin – Manufactured, heat treated, hardened, Chromed and certified per Government drawings.
Carrier – M16 style carrier (heavy weight), 8620 material, heat treated and case hardened. Manufacturing tolerances on inside diameters tightly controlled. NiB-X coated for durability and ease of cleaning.
Gas Key – Hardened to USGI Specifications and attached using grade 8 hardened fasteners. Permatex No. 3D Aviation Form a gasket Type III Sealing Compound per MIL-S-45180 used on assembly. NiB-X coated. Staked per military specifications.
Cam pin – Manufactured, heat treated, hardened and certified per Government drawings. NiB-X Coated.
Hammer - Manufactured, heat treated, hardened and certified per Government drawings. NiB-X Coated.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Last edited by TexasGunner; 07-03-2013 at 03:37 AM.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 248 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 31

In a word, NO.

The WMD is probably just great. I don't particularly like shiny bling on an AR or the cycling squeak that often accompanies some NiB BCGs. Just preference there. No point in paying a premium for features I don't want.

I have about 4 each of BCM and PSA. The only fancy finishes I have are on a pair of STS microslick/cerakoted BCGs. I love those things...slick and smooth, easy to clean, zero bling.

Buy what you want. The WMD is expensive, but probably really good.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

What about the national match Les Baer chrome bolt carrier? Any reviews?