Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Would this make a good reliable ar-15? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/would-make-good-reliable-ar-15-a-46287/)

Cory2 08-05-2011 11:29 AM

Would this make a good reliable ar-15?

AP-15 Complete Lower w/ buttstock and all parts [AP-15 Complete Lower w/ M4 Stock] - $199.00 : New Frontier Armory - Firearm Sales, Transfers, and Consignment

An Aero Precision lower, complete. $199.

With a

BCM SS410™ 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group 1/8 Twist

BCM Complete upper, 5.56 NATO $489.

I would need to get handgaurds and mags also, but would this make a good inexpensive ar-15?

Is there another company for uppers that are very reliable but less expensive than BCM? I'm on a pretty tight budget but I really want an ar-15.

If anyone has any specific builds that would cost less than this and make a good reliable ar-15 (im not really concerned about accuracy, as long as its within 3 moa) I would be more than happy if you would post them, and some links :)

Thanks.

Edit: PS I am not against building the AR my self, so if that is what it takes to get one cheaper than I am all for it.... Just tell me what all I would need because I don't know all the parts necessary.

Gatoragn 08-05-2011 11:54 AM

Yes, that would be a good set up IMO. A complete lower for $199 from a quality supplier is a great price.

Check out Palmetto State Armory's upper deals for comparison and to pick up some reasonably priced ammo, mags, etc.

Note, the BCM upper you highlighted does not include the bolt carrier group or charging handle, these two items will cost you another $ 100 to $200 depending on where and what you buy.

You can get a complete upper at PSA that will be ready to go for the same price.

Cory2 08-05-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatoragn (Post 556419)
Yes, that would be a good set up IMO. A complete lower for $199 from a quality supplier is a great price.

Check out Palmetto State Armory's upper deals for comparison and to pick up some reasonably priced ammo, mags, etc.

Note, the BCM upper you highlighted does not include the bolt carrier group or charging handle, these two items will cost you another $ 100 to $200 depending on where and what you buy.

You can get a complete upper at PSA that will be ready to go for the same price.

Well that defeats the purpose then, I want the BCM stuff specifcally for the bolt carrier group. Good catch, I didn't even notice that.

Cory2 08-05-2011 12:27 PM

Palmetto State Armory 16" M4 Standard Rifle Kit

That looks like a really good deal, I could upgrade that as I want "better" stuff for it (such as a BCM BCG) and all I would need is a stripped lower and I would have the fun of getting to build it my self. The Aero Precision stripped lowers are only 80 bucks. Thanks for pointing that website out Gatoragn.

Gatoragn 08-05-2011 12:44 PM

Its fairly easy to acquire a quality lower and a lower parts kit with basic trigger for about $199. However that rarely includes a stock.

All three for $199 is a good buy.

Car54 08-05-2011 01:28 PM

Surplus Arms has the Aero complete lower $20 cheaper than Frontier....

Aero Precision AR15 Complete Lower with Collapsing Stock - Surplus Ammo

Cory2 08-05-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car54 (Post 556445)
Surplus Arms has the Aero complete lower $20 cheaper than Frontier....

Aero Precision AR15 Complete Lower with Collapsing Stock - Surplus Ammo

Thanks, I will get it from there then, same product just less money.

Edit: Why would you want "consecutive serial numbers" on an ar-15?

mjkeat 08-05-2011 02:11 PM

The little bit extra ($100+-) for the BCM will put you way ahead. I do like the PSA uppers from the stuff I've read though.

You do realize the difference b/w the two uppers you linked? The BCM is a SS barrel as the PSA is a M4 profile barrel. The BCM upper you linked will be more accurate and shoot smoother (midlength).

Reread your OP. Look for a PSA midlength. In the long run you'll be much happier w/ the midlength. From what you've said the SS would be a waste for your needs. Don't spend the extra $.

Snakedriver 08-05-2011 03:27 PM

That REALLY would be a good deal for the BCM upper it it had a BCG and handguards. ;)

Quentin 08-05-2011 06:55 PM

Yeah a lot of folks new to the AR don't realize many uppers are configured without the BCG, CH and handguards. That's why it's good to ask here to make sure to avoid those types of "gotcha!"