Would this be good sd ammo - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Would this be good sd ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts

Or the house next to that one, or the house next to that one... Lol

Old 01-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #12

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I am really looking at BVAC 500-round boxes of 64gr. pointed soft point (Cheaper than Dirt's own brand). The boxes are $175 (.35 each). My AR is 1:9. I have a few hundred XM855, but I just don't think FMJ is the way to go during social unrest or neighborhood defense.

What do y'all think of 64gr. PSP?

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 01-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

855 would be horrible for SD.

I'm a fan of heavy specially designed well expanding ammunition. Look at what they are doing w/ the .300BLK; large, expanding, specially designed bullets.

I would prefer an AR for AD over anything. More capacity and greater versatility to name a couple things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I am really looking at BVAC 500-round boxes of 64gr. pointed soft point (Cheaper than Dirt's own brand). The boxes are $175 (.35 each). My AR is 1:9. I have a few hundred XM855, but I just don't think FMJ is the way to go during social unrest or neighborhood defense.

What do y'all think of 64gr. PSP?
I think a 64gr PSP sounds just right if your gun will shoot it OK. Some guns are picky eaters. I have a 50-50 selection of ammo between FMJ's and SP's. It all depends on whether your target is soft or hard, so I have a little of each.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #15

Idk about you guys but to me the 855 slows down much faster in gelatin that the 223 55gr does...

Like i said before... Self defense doesn't have to be indside your home.. What if you have a lot of property and u see 100 yards away some punks are comin to get you... Hypothetical of course... I would go for the thing with more stopping power... Yeah u do have to worry about it passing through but that's why u should always know your target and beyond...
Once again!!! Self defense does not need to be in CQB to be self defense...

2 snipers staring at eachother through their scopes... U kill before being killed... Which is acting in self defense... 300 yards away from one another...

Old 01-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjr1 View Post
223REM Federal 55gr Triple-Shock in 20% gelatin - YouTube

M855 versus Ballistic Gelatin - YouTube

Idk about you guys but to me the 855 slows down much faster in gelatin that the 223 55gr does...

Like i said before... Self defense doesn't have to be indside your home.. What if you have a lot of property and u see 100 yards away some punks are comin to get you... Hypothetical of course... I would go for the thing with more stopping power... Yeah u do have to worry about it passing through but that's why u should always know your target and beyond...
Once again!!! Self defense does not need to be in CQB to be self defense...

2 snipers staring at eachother through their scopes... U kill before being killed... Which is acting in self defense... 300 yards away from one another...
Good point about distances but in general SD shootings take place in close proximity and should considering legal liability.

The 2 snipers scenario isn't one of self defense. It's a matter of war which is completely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I agree, if you start shooting folks a 100 yards or more, you might have some 'splainin' to do the prosecutor, judge and jury. A SD situation is far different from a SHTF one.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #18

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

In my opinion an AR has only one role in home defense...suppressing fire till I get to my 12ga.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #19

Again is why I said I think ur crazy for going to a ar15 for sd in your home... My property is only 20 yrds wide and would expect my ar rounds to go way further then That...

U go into a gun store and say I want a self defense gun and they will give you either a shotgun or a pistol... I'm just saying an ar is the wrong gun in sd all together...

My long range comment is for a shtf situation but to me **** wi hit the fan too if someone breaks into my house to try and rob or hurt me..

Old 01-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #20

Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Unless my home is invaded with 5+ BGs with AKs,i will never use my M4 for home defense.even a frangible round will go though a thin wall "or 2" IF You miss your target,no matter what bullet grain you use. I keep my G31 15+1,nightsights,w/tac light on my nightstand for my primary defense.then my 1911 8+1 is just a few more feet away if i need it,along with my M4 "the show stopper".