Would AR15 be your first choice for in home defense? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Would AR15 be your first choice for in home defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 06:11 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post

All that plus my physical nature means
You aren't going to start going on and on again about Rights for the Transgendered, are you?

Old 09-28-2010, 02:47 AM   #32

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_sxt View Post
The 55 grain bullet is also significantly easier to deflect during flight because it has less energy and surface area than a shotgun pellet. This was one of the earliest tests done at boxoftruth.com.

Precise shots can be necessary in many circumstances, like if a bad guy is using your wife/child/gay lover as a hostage. Or if he is wearing body armor. Or if he's using an interior wall as cover. The area aim in those circumstances will most likely result in an ineffective hit at best, or killing your wife/child/gay lover...
Ranger go grab your "Beginning Reader's" dictionary and read aloud the definition of penetration vs. deflection. Two different terms with two different meanings. Kids. . . .

My pistol will provide me precision shooting inside my home if needed. Notice I never said my only home defense weapon is a Shot Gun, just my primary.Anything under 10 yards (Inside a home) is a free-bee with a pistol, plus you can carry it, conceal it, hide it, etc. In addition (might wanna look that one up too. ) to your primary home defense weapon.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:09 AM   #33

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I will grab my carbine first.
It is compact, powerful and is capable of a high volume of extremely accurate fire. Over-penetration is not really a concern for me.
I train and practice with it a lot, and am very comfortable with it as my primary HD arm, My .45 is a backup.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 09-28-2010, 03:26 AM   #34

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
You aren't going to start going on and on again about Rights for the Transgendered, are you?
says the Hugo Boss wearing metrosexual with a comb over?

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 09-28-2010, 04:23 AM   #35

Liked 35 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would not grab my AR for home defense. I would grab my LCR or my LCP because they are quicker for me to get too. Plus it be kinda hard to get to my AR when my home is being broken into.

I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger
ain't skeered

Old 09-29-2010, 01:54 AM   #36

Actually the sound of a pump shotgun chambering a round is most likely the only hd you'll ever need. If your within ear shot all you'll hear is the door slamming.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:03 AM   #37

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspar View Post
Actually the sound of a pump shotgun chambering a round is most likely the only hd you'll ever need. If your within ear shot all you'll hear is the door slamming.
Unless of course it is a determined criminal. Then you just let them know that you are armed and they react accordingly.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 09-29-2010, 01:39 PM   #38

my only issue would be over penetration unless your using frangible bullets, ill always take a long gun over a pistol, but your talking to a 6'0 250lb guy whos cleared houses by short stocking his M249 SAW

Old 09-29-2010, 07:44 PM   #39

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Great question and one I have been chewing over for a while. For ease of access, my primary home defense gun will likely be one of my pistols, either .40 or .45 acp. As Clint Smith and other gun fighting trainers reminds us, a pistol is a tool you can use to fight your way to your long gun.

Once I get to my gun safe, my AR and Mini-14 are stacked side-by-side, loaded and ready to rumble. Both are 100% reliable, fire the same ammo and both with 30 round magazines inserted in their respective magazine wells. Either would serve me well. The only difference is the 24/7 XS Night sights on my AR for low light applications.

All things being equal, another selection available is my 12 ga. Mossberg 500, with fiber optic front sight and tactical pistol grip stock.

Would my AR be my first choice for home defense? I guess I would have to say; "It depends."

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 10-06-2010, 02:02 PM   #40

I keep a .45 1911 with light and laser mounted on front rail along with a high power flashlight and 2 full extra mags within reach and out of sight on my side of the bed. My wife has her lcp .380 w/ extra loaded mags and flashlight on her side.The 17yr. old boy gets the singelshot .410. All the guns are out of sight and the rest are locked up safe.We sleep better at night this way.