Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Would AR15 be your first choice for in home defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2010, 05:57 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtJester View Post
Go with a semi auto shot gun.
Won't argue with the shot gun choice, but why semi? Pump actions can provide the same rate of fire with practice and eliminate a non-human function (self loading) that may fail when you need it.

Quote:
Any firearm will have issues on ever-penetration due to misses. A handgun's wounding potential is horrible when compared to a rifle. A shotgun is too difficult to make precise shots with. A handgun extended in a firing position is the same general length as a rifle.
Ranger, would you care to provide sources for your information? Your concept of shot guns for home defense is completely incorrect.

Over-penetration is a combination of velocity, density and mass of projectile and the material in which is being penetrated. The AR is 2x as fast as a hot loading of 00 Buck, both will penetrate a wall if a miss occurs, but something tells me that a 55 grain aerodynamic bullet of copper and lead, spinning like a top @ 3,000 fps will travel just a bit further than a round ball of lead @ 1,300 fps.

A shotgun is too difficult to make precise shots with??? Have you ever shot a shot gun? I doubt it, otherwise you would understand that the object and purpose of one is to "Area aim". Meaning you don't have to try and make "precise" shots in order to inflict great bodily

Old 09-26-2010, 06:19 AM   #22

Liked 663 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I just figure there's too much **** to worry about if it ever comes to ussing it. I've had a hand full of hang-ups with a lot of guns but never with a semi auto shot gun. I'd trust my with my life with mine and would thank the save'd half a second in quick firing.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 09-26-2010, 07:48 AM   #23

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtJester View Post
I just figure there's too much **** to worry about if it ever comes to ussing it. I've had a hand full of hang-ups with a lot of guns but never with a semi auto shot gun. I'd trust my with my life with mine and would thank the save'd half a second in quick firing.
That's when training comes into play that you rack the gun again without thinking.

The bolded part is what really matters though.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 09-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #24

Firearms can put closure to any home invasion. Your mind has to work and are you willing to pull the trigger??? We can talk about the different types of firearms we would use but the mind is most important.

patret

Old 09-27-2010, 02:07 AM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd grab my glock 27 before the AR

Old 09-27-2010, 04:52 AM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have no other source besides what Ive read from an occasional leo or thread here and there but there seems to be a trend of thought saying that 5.56 doesnt penetrate like people are led to believe and shotguns fireing heavier loads actually have decent penatration when striking common building materials such as sheetrock. Ive also heard the arguement that 5.56 will actually cause greater wound cavities then HP pistol rounds due to fragmentation. Who knows just putting it out there. It seems like everyone has an opinion on the matter. I personally would feel comfortable using any of them. You just have to be aware of your suroundings beyond whats in front of your face. Like we were always told, "its a 360 deg. battlefield." And when youre dealing w/ HD its even more invovled. HD is a thinking mans game.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:11 AM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Ranger, would you care to provide sources for your information? Your concept of shot guns for home defense is completely incorrect.

Over-penetration is a combination of velocity, density and mass of projectile and the material in which is being penetrated. The AR is 2x as fast as a hot loading of 00 Buck, both will penetrate a wall if a miss occurs, but something tells me that a 55 grain aerodynamic bullet of copper and lead, spinning like a top @ 3,000 fps will travel just a bit further than a round ball of lead @ 1,300 fps.

A shotgun is too difficult to make precise shots with??? Have you ever shot a shot gun? I doubt it, otherwise you would understand that the object and purpose of one is to "Area aim". Meaning you don't have to try and make "precise" shots in order to inflict great bodily
The 55 grain bullet is also significantly easier to deflect during flight because it has less energy and surface area than a shotgun pellet. This was one of the earliest tests done at boxoftruth.com.

Precise shots can be necessary in many circumstances, like if a bad guy is using your wife/child/gay lover as a hostage. Or if he is wearing body armor. Or if he's using an interior wall as cover. The area aim in those circumstances will most likely result in an ineffective hit at best, or killing your wife/child/gay lover...

Old 09-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #28

If you just want to get your first semi-auto rifle go with an AK-47 or SKS.
These have an easier learning curve than the more complicated AR-15 types,
they are cheaper- you could get a nice one for about $600 to $800, and take the 7.62X39 a more potent round than the .223. Both of these rifles especially the AK will fire with mud, sand, snow, water, in it/on it and not have a problem.
If your talking for home defense however a shotgun would be better.
Even in a hollow point cartridge the 7.62X39 will probably go right through the assailant. He'll have a mighty big hole in him though, especially coming out the back !

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Old 09-27-2010, 04:46 PM   #29

Liked 924 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 899

I got an AK-47 and SKS first, just couldn't resist the total cost of less than $500 four years ago. But it didn't work, I built an AR anyway.

Can't agree that the AR requires a greater learning curve, it's not that difficult at all and if I had to choose between rifles I'd keep the AR.

Really anything reliable can work for HD but for personal defense in the home I'd still rather grab a 1911 in 45ACP. A proven manstopper that is controllable and after owning one and witnessing its reliability for 35 years it's just second nature by now.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #30

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

If I had no other options than yes i would grab my AR15 - in .458SOCOM

But since I do have other options throughout the home I would pick the one that is closest to me at the time. A baseball bat or hurling stick are very effective as is a demolition axe or sledgehammer. A few of my kitchen knives would carve a bad guy like a ham. As a tradesman I have a plethora of tools that can wield enormous damage.

All that plus my physical nature means one rough time for any bad guy that enters my home uninvited

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD