Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Would AR15 be your first choice for in home defense? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/would-ar15-your-first-choice-home-defense-32185/)

RairWeatherSmok 09-24-2010 09:06 PM

Would AR15 be your first choice for in home defense?

Just curious.

I was reading a reply to a review of compensators for ar15. The guy was saying a flash hider would be superior to a compensator in a darkened hallway of your house, less side or rear noise and less blinding flash. I could see his logic and understand what he was saying, BUT it would not be my first choice to be blasting away in the house with an ar15.

So would you grab the AR first?

kenhesr 09-24-2010 09:29 PM

In the house? Absolutely not, if given a choice, way too many other effective options. :D

c3shooter 09-24-2010 09:30 PM

Would I grab my AR first? Only to move it to get to the shotgun.

Quentin 09-24-2010 10:57 PM

Nope, I'd have my 45ACP drawn and my Hi-Power stuffed in my pocket. Long guns can be hard to maneuver in the house.

Recon 173 09-24-2010 11:05 PM

My M-4 clone for home defense? MMMMM. Maybe. Since I have practiced with it a lot, I would feel comfortable using it for defending my home. If given a choice I'd probably go shotgun first, then my M-4 clone and then my big bore handguns. Everything at the end is backed up by a sheath knife.

Dillinger 09-24-2010 11:10 PM

I would not personally grab any of my longarms for home defense in a "middle of the night something that went bump" situation.

If you take a piece of broomhandle, or a piece of 2x4, and try to move down a hallway and poke your head and "mock weapon" into a door or around a corner, you will see what I mean.

I, and many I know, prefer a sidearm for going room to room in the event that you would actually to "need" to ever do this.

Now if in "home defense" you mean "Zombies in the Wire!!" Absolutely, I love my AR's. :cool:

JD

007BondJamesBond007 09-24-2010 11:18 PM

I grab my Beretta 92 long guns are hard to maneuver and 92 is closer.

Jo da Plumbr 09-24-2010 11:41 PM

It depends... If I'm shooting to the east OK. I don't like the neighbors in the house next door anyway.

But if I'm shooting to the west Iíll use something that wont kill a neighbor two houses over.

billdeserthills 09-25-2010 01:27 AM

Not Me, I grab my aow Saiga 12,
with a folding stock & a 10" Barrel I also refer to it as my "No Knock Warrant"
Gun

JonM 09-25-2010 02:59 AM

overpenetration is a issue with any rifle. shotguns are the best bet for home defense. my mossberg 590 is ready with bayonet, 00buck, and four slugs in the butt-stock shellholders if a more powerful round is needed. i keep my colt 1911 new agent on the headboard in a hidden spot. cellphone is handy on the nightstand with 911 on speed dial. i also keep my ruger SR556 handy in the bedroom in a hidden spot with its LCE and 6 30 round mags of 55grn fmj.

long arms have a role but its a secondary one that is more a last ditch defend at longer ranges. room to room its handgun or shotgun. the rifle is a last resort.