worth it - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > worth it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 04:45 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1147 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

The problem with kits is that you can do soooo much better if you invest some time and do your homework. Really you can learn before buying the wrong thing. Figure out what you want and what's out there. Rarely will a kit hit every high point. A couple years ago I was a noob and could have easily jumped on a kit, but fortunately I spent a lot of time researching before buying. Today after learning the ropes I cringe when I see kits.

If you're determined to buy a Del-Ton kit, I'd look at their 16" LW midlength, 1:7, chrome lined and see if you can get their new M16 HPI/MPI BCG. Del-Ton does let you upgrade parts so read up on ARs (ideally for weeks!) and cherry pick the parts you've determined you want. But the problem here is I'm telling you what I want, only you know what YOU want.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 06-01-2011, 04:58 AM   #22

Likes Given: 1

Default yah ur right

i will read some i wonder if they have ar-15 for dummys

Old 06-01-2011, 05:02 AM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Any of the Del-Ton kit will work fine, but any rifle with a 16" barrel and a rifle length gas system will have to be altered in order to make use of the gas (lack of) that is harvested in this set up.

A 16" barrel with a gas port drilled at Rifle length (12") for the gas system cannot harvest enough pressure to reliably cycle the BCG. There is simply not enough "dwell time"- time from after projectile passes port and exits muzzle (when the rest of the pressure is released.) This causes the rifle to "short stroke" and results in extreme frustration and loud cursing. . .

There are things such as shortening the buffer spring and other far out tricks that can mask the symptoms, but why mess with it?

Del-Ton's 20" rifle barrel assembly shoots amazingly good. I'd highly recommend.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Looks like some of these companies are stepping up. Nice to hear DT is offering a MPI/HPI M16 BCG.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yeah, at least according to their gun rag ads DTI is moving toward a milspec option if you want it and select the right parts. I want to believe them because they seem to be a stand up company that has offered low to midrange rifles for a good price. If they upped the ante and actually added a line something like a Spikes or even BCM, well that's great.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogcjg View Post
i will read some i wonder if they have ar-15 for dummys
Bog, there's a lot you can read right here in the stickies and various build threads. And there are AR books that help but they're out of date fast. Heck just google and you'll be reading for months. Sure it takes time but is very interesting to see how someone else new started out and and learned the ropes and got help with their questions - then see them progress until they have the AR they really wanted but couldn't buy off the rack. It's a very rewarding experience plus the pride of knowing you chose the best for you. And bragging rights for your buds!

I look back at how little I knew when I decided to buy an AR in late 2008. But I learned and so can anyone else if they make the effort. I can guarantee it was frustrating to see my buddy just go out and buy his Bushmaster and not do the same. Instead I got a stripped lower and studied the parts and bought when I could find them in stock, not easy in 2009. But my AR turned out better than his and cost about $250 less. He saw the whole process and now wishes he'd built one too. Maybe he still will.