worth it
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > worth it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 07:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default worth it

71971 - S&W Model M&P 15 Sport Semi Automatic Rifle 5.56mm NATO 16" Barrel 10 Rounds 6 Position Telescopic Stock Black Finish

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-30-2011, 09:49 AM   #2

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This is an entry model that attracts those who want an AR but can't or won't pay more money for the more expensive units. S&W out front describes this model substituting different materials or parts that are used in their other models thus keeping the price down.

Some things like a forward assist and ejection port cover aren't included, and I believe the metal in the barrel is different, or they install a different barrel than what comes with the standard units.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Last edited by Car54; 05-30-2011 at 04:28 PM. Reason: add

Old 05-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If youre going to put a few hundred more into higher end S&W you might as well step up to a higher end manufacturer. In todays market you can get all the AR you need in the $800 range.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #4

Default oj thank

i was wondering so if i had plans to buy this and add to it already it would be better to get a gun that has more pf what i am looking for on itt

Old 05-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

You're not too far away from me and there is quite a surplus of ARs in our area.

Like Mj said you can get a decent gun for $800 (don't know about all you need, that depends) and if you're willing to spend a few hundred more, then you're in high cotton !

Let me explain why there are better choices in the current AR market. Smith and Wesson is a great firearms manufacturer. One of the best. However, their specialty is handguns, mainly revolvers (some nice 1911s) always has been and (hopefully) always will be.

Their entry into the tactical market (shotguns, pistols and ARs) required them to compete in a market that was already full. They targeted the LE market, so their prices had to be competitive with Bushmaster, DPMS, Colt and Armalite (the later 2 being on the high end of options) as the contracts typically go to the lowest (or lower) bidder. So an amount of quality had to be sacrificed in order to compete.

In addition most of the best options for civilian ARs today ONLY do ARs. They are VERY good at what they do. That is why you can get a higher quality rifle for less $$$ from places such as Spikes, BCM or Del-Ton.

As with every new to AR shooter I say BUILD Y!OUR OWN!! You will learn about your gun and have the ability to fix it yourself.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #6

Default ok

what would be a good platform to start at then for building my own ar-15 i cant realy go over 900 but that was why i was looking at the SW so i could have the money to build it up

Old 05-30-2011, 06:47 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Difficult to say if it's worth it or not as the link is to a back order rifle with no price.

The weapon itself isn't bad, but there are several things I would change right out of the gate to it if it hit my hands.

IF you could get it for a good price, say the $500 range, it might be worth it for an entry level gun if you are new to the AR realm.

As a one stop, SHTF, End of Days, I am betting my life on this rifle? Not so much. It needs some components replaced in my limited experience and opinion.

However if you take a look around the forum, you will see some folks who came here with the same thinking in mind, and after asking a few questions, decided to build their own rifles and were much happier with the results.

If you have any questions, these folks here are more than ready to help you make good decisions, regardless of the size of your wallet.

JD

Old 05-30-2011, 07:24 PM   #8

Default sorry the [rice they want is

585.00$ and this would be my first AR

Old 05-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogcjg View Post
585.00$ and this would be my first AR
Is it local to you, or do you need to pay for shipping, tax and a dealer transfer??

Old 05-30-2011, 07:30 PM   #10

Default i would have to ship to my lovation

i probaly will not buy it from there just want to new what would be a good price platform to start building my own gun

or would this be better Ruger Mini-14 Semi Automatic .223 Remington 16.12" Barrel 20 Rounds Black Synthetic Collapsible ATI Stock
685 plush shipping AND FEES

Last edited by bogcjg; 05-30-2011 at 07:39 PM.