a word about Palmetto State Armory - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

a word about Palmetto State Armory

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 04:02 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I bought a PSA based on some advice here and haven't had any issues except for a mag or two causing issues. But I'll definitely keep that BCM upgrade in mind. Hope its fixed fmj. On their customer service I was told it would be 6 weeks before someone would get back to me on my dealer direct account. The need to focus on either building their ARs or underselling a lot of dealers.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Last edited by silverado113; 06-21-2012 at 04:09 AM.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:05 AM   #12

Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I see nothing wrong with commenting on what appears to be shoddy customer service. When you have to basically get downright nasty to get something fixed, there's a customer service issue.
I can't comment on their uppers, as I went with BCM for mine, but the PSA lower and trigger assembly is rock solid. I hope that FMJ is just the fluke that slips through the cracks.
Truthfully, while I've never had a problem with PSA, I will note that they aren't exactly the fastest shippers in the world. If we mailed our important stuff out like they do, we'd probably be without electricity for a day or two at times.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:48 AM   #13

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I guess we all do things differently. I prefer to report the entire story and not throw a company under the bus before all is said and done. Let a company make it right before airing your laundry.

JonM, your situation was different. We all knew it wasn't the fault of BCM due to what was happening.We were correct.

Not a big deal, just not how I would have done it. I wish they would ship faster though.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:53 AM   #14
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2477 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 879

I wouldn't have put up the post, but I think we're all smart enough to recognize this is an unfinished story.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 06-21-2012, 04:53 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

I dont think anyone is tossing psa out. Im just surprised he had to shoot off a nasty gram to get some real help.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 06-21-2012, 04:54 AM   #16

Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
I guess we all do things differently. I prefer to report the entire story and not throw a company under the bus before all is said and done. Let a company make it right before airing your laundry.

JonM, your situation was different. We all knew it wasn't the fault of BCM due to what was happening.We were correct.

Not a big deal, just not how I would have done it. I wish they would ship faster though.
I don't mind people putting the information out at the onset for a reason. It can make someone who is considering pause to see how the situation pans out, and maybe save them headaches.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:59 AM   #17

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I dont think anyone is tossing psa out. Im just surprised he had to shoot off a nasty gram to get some real help.
I've had to send an email to them on 2 different occassions. Funny thing is everytime I sent one out the just happened to have shipped it out that day. The things that make you go hmmmmmm.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
I've had to send an email to them on 2 different occassions. Funny thing is everytime I sent one out the just happened to have shipped it out that day. The things that make you go hmmmmmm.
Sometimes companies hire bad employees. We have that occur in my business too. With labor laws the way they are its often hard to get rid of a bad one.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 06-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #19

Liked 1153 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 2043

We have had good luck with all the PSA stuff so far . 6 uppers and 8 lowers and 11 LPKs , no issues with any of them and I think we wound up with about 6 extra detents and a couple extra springs as some of the kits had extras in them . CS is sometimes hard to get ahold of yes but its just easier to email them and wait the 1-2 days for a reply . They had a recent blunder on a Lower build kit we ordered 3 and only got 2 in the box but they took care of it right away and had it shipped out same day . 2-3 day shipping for me here in the mid west . Nothings going to come off the production line 100% every time no matter what company it is .Hope they have your issue worked out and let us know how she performs when u get out and throw some lead down range

Old 06-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #20
fmj

Liked 754 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
I hope it works out for ya FMJ. Looking foward to your results. I have almost purchased A PSA a few times.

What kind of jam issue were you having, ftf or fte ? Sorry if i missed it.. I tend to stay away from here now due to the elitist opinions and back and forth banter.

There are plenty of smart members on here , but I would take JD's word and will give you no b.s. answer.
Its a fail to eject issue. The extractor would draw the spent cartridge from the chamber, but not eject. The bolt would then strip a fresh cartridge off the mag. and attempt to feed both the spent cartridge and the fresh cartridge into the chamber. Causing a NASTY back up.

In defense of PSA. The rifle is VERY accurate! (much more accurate than I) and when it does eject properly it dumps all the brass into a nice neat little pile. Makes brass policing very easy for reloaders.

Results, PSA M4 @100yds...not locked into a jig. NcStar Mark III tactical scope.

a word about Palmetto State Armory - AR-15 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Really?

Because the man has a legit complaint and it was probably closer to use the keyboard than to load up and head to the range. I do agree with your statement, but the answer is pretty obvious.

I was asked to come back here and review the AR section by a senior Supporting Member.

Upon returning I did see a lot of recommendations for PSA that I would not have, personally, been so positive of in my comments.

PSA is an up and comer. If you get a good one, it's great, if you don't - I have personally seen some tragic "builds" of uppers that were less than we would do in the shop.

To the OP: I'd like to offer some assistance after you test fire it. I would like to see (3) boxes and a couple of different mags, but I would be happy to look over the system for you if their "repairs" don't fix your issues.

I have been a member here, most on but sometimes off, since 2008 - so my reputation should speak for itself if you are concerned.

JD
Thanks JD! You are correct, my keyboard is MUCH closer than a range. With a full course load of summer classes (18 week courses condensed into 8 weeks) I havent had the time to make the 2 hour round trip to the range to test it out. Also, I am waiting on my reflex sight to get back here to me from the factory. No sense in burning ammo and what limited time i have until i have my rifle back together COMPLETELY. Unfortunately, UPS package tracking has it hitting my door sometime Monday. So, i will most likely be range bound next Friday. Look for me to report back Sat. the 30th.

I have 4, 30 round mags loaded and ready to go. 1 factory mag and 3 P-mags.

Quote:
I dont see anything wrong with posting about your cs experiences as it is happening. I did the same thing with my bcm issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I wouldn't have put up the post, but I think we're all smart enough to recognize this is an unfinished story.
Quite correct gentlemen, this is an ongoing story. IF the issue is resolved, i will be back on here spouting praises to PSA and the wonderful turnaround time and how they got the issues resolved. I will be a happy customer and be more than happy to recommend their products...but the jury is still out

Quote:
"tightening" the extractor means the spring was prolly out of spec. if the extractor spring is too weak it will not have the strength to yank the round out of the chamber.

some guns especially the lower end barrels have over large gas holes or incorrect buffer weights and lightened BCG which if combined in the wrong mix can cause a gun to start the extraction cycle before the case has had a chance to shrink as it is still under pressure. when this occurs the exctractor can skip off the rim causing a fail to eject.

a stronger extractor spring more buffer weight or changing to an inspec barrel can eleviate the problem. what exactly is occurring with your gun i dunno. could be one or some or all of those things. what did psa do to fix it prolly replaced the extractor spring and sent it back.

you can get a rubber o-ring from bcm. i HIGHLY HIGHLY recomend this cheap upgrade from bcm http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Extractor-Spring-Uprade-Kit-p/bcm%20extractor%20spring%20upgrade.htm you may or may not need the oring if you get this kit. the ring comes with ive got one and tried installing it... its a cast iron BTCH to get in there. i took it back apart and left it out my rifle doesnt really need it so i put in my wife's dpms panther.

every company has issues from time to time regardless of the product. its HOW that company makes it right that matters. im not impressed to hear you had to yell at management to be heard, if thats what it takes to get an answer and resolution its not good.

my opinion is: any gun SHOULD work correctly right out of the box. a good gun should not ever need a "break in" period.
Thanks for the explanation. I was also thinking it was prolly just a tighter spring added in.

This is the second time i have heard about a rubber O ring as a fix/replacement for the spring.

I also agree that EVERY company is going to have an issue from time to time. That i had the issue isnt AS disconcerting (didnt make me happy) as the troubles i had getting it resolved. But once i got their attention, they were johnny on the spot getting it "fixed" and back into my hot little hand. I think a total 7 day turnaround is pretty snappy.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!