Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > a word about Palmetto State Armory

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default a word about Palmetto State Armory

Well, i tried to stay silent and for the most have succeeded in not dogging out this company too hard.

I bought ( on the advice of a few here) a PSA M-4. Well it was a serious JAM-O-MATIC!. It was on average one in ten rounds it would fail to eject. This is firing right at 1000 rounds.

After about a million calls, one answer, a promise to call right back and no reply. A half dozen e-mails, i had finally had enough and sent a SERIOUSLY blistering e-mail to them. i FINALLY got a response....FROM the chief himself.

They sent me, via e-mail, a UPS packing slip that i printed off. I went to the local UPS shop and sent the upper off on a Friday. The NEXT Friday I received my upper back at home.

I have yet to test fire it. I am hoping this weekend to run some rounds thru it.

According to PSA customer service rep. i guess the armorer "Tightened the ejector". Can someone explain to what "Tighten the ejector" entails?

I hate to dog out any company i do business with, this is why folks have only seen me post here about my issues in passing. When i went to the big IN shoot a couple weeks ago...its failures didnt help this companys reputation any. Over 100 SERIOUS gun enthusiasts got to see it fail time and again first hand. Heres to hoping i can report back about a gun that runs flawlessly!

At this point, the best i can say is they had a GREAT turn around time for repairs.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Last edited by fmj; 06-21-2012 at 01:08 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2012, 01:10 AM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 724

The proof is in the pudding. Load up and see what a couple hundred rounds do.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 06-21-2012, 01:26 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 701 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

Debating between PSA and BCM, looking forward to hearing how it functions now.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Old 06-21-2012, 02:32 AM   #4

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Why would you create a thread like this before taking it to the range and putting a decent amount of rounds through it first? Getting a little ahead of yourself?

Old 06-21-2012, 02:35 AM   #5

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Hey mister! Your thread lies! You wrote more than a word!

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:51 AM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
Why would you create a thread like this before taking it to the range and putting a decent amount of rounds through it first? Getting a little ahead of yourself?
Really?

Because the man has a legit complaint and it was probably closer to use the keyboard than to load up and head to the range. I do agree with your statement, but the answer is pretty obvious.

I was asked to come back here and review the AR section by a senior Supporting Member.

Upon returning I did see a lot of recommendations for PSA that I would not have, personally, been so positive of in my comments.

PSA is an up and comer. If you get a good one, it's great, if you don't - I have personally seen some tragic "builds" of uppers that were less than we would do in the shop.

To the OP: I'd like to offer some assistance after you test fire it. I would like to see (3) boxes and a couple of different mags, but I would be happy to look over the system for you if their "repairs" don't fix your issues.

I have been a member here, most on but sometimes off, since 2008 - so my reputation should speak for itself if you are concerned.

JD

Old 06-21-2012, 03:10 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I hope it works out for ya FMJ. Looking foward to your results. I have almost purchased A PSA a few times.

What kind of jam issue were you having, ftf or fte ? Sorry if i missed it.. I tend to stay away from here now due to the elitist opinions and back and forth banter.

There are plenty of smart members on here , but I would take JD's word and will give you no b.s. answer.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:14 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5304 Times on 2770 Posts
Likes Given: 334

"tightening" the extractor means the spring was prolly out of spec. if the extractor spring is too weak it will not have the strength to yank the round out of the chamber.

some guns especially the lower end barrels have over large gas holes or incorrect buffer weights and lightened BCG which if combined in the wrong mix can cause a gun to start the extraction cycle before the case has had a chance to shrink as it is still under pressure. when this occurs the exctractor can skip off the rim causing a fail to eject.

a stronger extractor spring more buffer weight or changing to an inspec barrel can eleviate the problem. what exactly is occurring with your gun i dunno. could be one or some or all of those things. what did psa do to fix it prolly replaced the extractor spring and sent it back.

you can get a rubber o-ring from bcm. i HIGHLY HIGHLY recomend this cheap upgrade from bcm http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Extractor-Spring-Uprade-Kit-p/bcm%20extractor%20spring%20upgrade.htm you may or may not need the oring if you get this kit. the ring comes with ive got one and tried installing it... its a cast iron BTCH to get in there. i took it back apart and left it out my rifle doesnt really need it so i put in my wife's dpms panther.

every company has issues from time to time regardless of the product. its HOW that company makes it right that matters. im not impressed to hear you had to yell at management to be heard, if thats what it takes to get an answer and resolution its not good.

my opinion is: any gun SHOULD work correctly right out of the box. a good gun should not ever need a "break in" period.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 06-21-2012 at 03:20 AM.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:37 AM   #9

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Really?

Because the man has a legit complaint and it was probably closer to use the keyboard than to load up and head to the range. I do agree with your statement, but the answer is pretty obvious.
JD
Yes, really. Why get ahead of yourself and make a thread such as this before you've even seen if the problem has been corrected.

The time it took for PSA to respond is excessive but the turn around was lightening quick. To through them under the bus w/o letting the entire situation play out isn't the most responsible thing to do.

I have heard of a couple instances where PSA sent out less than 100% uppers but the %'s are still in their favor. If I was to get another AR it will probably be a PSA.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:40 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5304 Times on 2770 Posts
Likes Given: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
Yes, really. Why get ahead of yourself and make a thread such as this before you've even seen if the problem has been corrected.

The time it took for PSA to respond is excessive but the turn around was lightening quick. To through them under the bus w/o letting the entire situation play out isn't the most responsible thing to do.

I have heard of a couple instances where PSA sent out less than 100% uppers but the %'s are still in their favor. If I was to get another AR it will probably be a PSA.
I dont see anything wrong with posting about your cs experiences as it is happening. I did the same thing with my bcm issue

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...