Won't eject
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Won't eject

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 875 Times on 471 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default Won't eject

So I found a nice shooting range in my new location here and took the AR out for it's first shots.

It would not eject the rounds after firing. I only shot six rounds through it just seeing what it would do and decided best not to full with it any further. It has plenty of oil so that can't be the issue.

The only thing I can figure is something isn't properly lined up with the slide. The unfired casing (5.56mm (62) FMJ M855 Penetrator) falls right in and I can drop a spent casing right back in, tip it over, and it falls right out. The action slides back and forth with no issues but after it's fired and I have to pull the slide to eject the round, it's a tough pull to get it opened. After the initial tug, it slides fine.

Any ideas???

Last edited by CourtJester; 07-08-2012 at 07:00 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 363 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 645

Bad extractor? Does your extractor on your bolt move or is it stiff?

Old 07-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #3

The bolt slides in and out and turns but the extractor doesn't move in or out. It will throw the case when the slide is pulled manually though.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Have you any dummy rounds? If you do try putting on in the mag and then try to run it through the action. The round should feed into the chamber, be sure to let the bolt go forward under the power of the spring only. DON'T hold onto the op handle, just pull back and release.

When you pull back again, the dummy round should come out of the chamber and eject out the side.

If this does not happen, open the upper from the lower receiver, then remove the bolt carrier and check to see if the extractor is broken or chipped, then check to see that the ejector pin is installed as it should be under pressure to push the brass away from the bolt ejecting the case from the receiver.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #5

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Lube that bolt!! I lube it wet with synthetic oil.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #6

It's got a slew of lube but just rem oil.

Here's a few photos. After the question of the extractor, I looked a little close at the few casings shot. There's a small ding at the 12 o'clock position. That normal??? Any extra insight from that???

Won't eject - AR-15 Discussion

Won't eject - AR-15 Discussion

Old 07-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I'm sorry, I need a little more info here to wrap my mind around the problem. Probably because it's Sunday afternoon and I have been watching American Ninja Warrior all day.

When you fire the weapon, I assume it cycles, but what specifically happens? Does the round just not come out of the chamber? Or is it extracted from the chamber but doesn't get ejected physically from the receiver?

JD

Old 07-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I'm sorry, I need a little more info here to wrap my mind around the problem. Probably because it's Sunday afternoon and I have been watching American Ninja Warrior all day.

When you fire the weapon, I assume it cycles, but what specifically happens? Does the round just not come out of the chamber? Or is it extracted from the chamber but doesn't get ejected physically from the receiver?

JD
I though American Ninja was dumber than hell the first time my kids turned it on, but I watched a few runs and I've been pretty hooked on it myself.

Okay; When I pull the trigger it slides about an inch or so and stops in that position. The bolt doesn't completely open to cycle through the ejection. I have to manually pull the slide and it's pretty damn hard to pull. At this point, it spits out the casing just fine. It's my first AR so I don't know for sure but it's harder to pull than I think it should be.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #9

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger

JD
I was thinking the same. If this is a home assembled upper receiver the headspace could be off. This causes the round to swell up the casing in the chamber when fired. Thereby not allowing the ejector to pull out the spent casing. Which from the pics of the spent rounds appears to be what is happening. If I'm off in any way someone correct me please.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I've been thinking some more about your problem. How old is your AR? Is it a factory built gun? Was it built by a gunsmith? Was it built by a doityourselfer?

The reason for these questions is to find out if the extractor spring may be weaker then needed. Some shooters are installing heavier springs or a small D shaped force multiplier to improve extraction.

You might check this out before spending big bucks for a cheap upgrade. Brownell's, Midway and others will most likely have what you need, or possibly your local gunship.

Good luck.