Wolf through an AR-15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Wolf through an AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 11:12 PM   #1
CJx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default Wolf through an AR-15

Disclaimer*-I'm sure the topic has been discussed ad-nauseum but the forum search provided nothing and I didn't see the topic on the first 3 pages in, so here goes. Please feel free to link me to a discussion thread on the subject and delete this thread.

Is shooting Wolf 5.56 consistently through an AR-15 platform ok? I watched a video where the guy said steel is about 50% harder than brass, so "theoretically" expect 50% more wear on internals.

Accuracy of surplus ammo aside, how hard on the AR-15 internals is Wolf? Or Brown Bear/Silver Bear? The guy in the video said that the money saved from buying steel ammo will buy you a new barrel (which will burn out faster) and another box of 1000 rounds (or another barrel on top of the other one .)

How do you personally feel about putting steel cased ammo through your AR-15, and how does it affect your rifle?

You might be a libertarian if you wonder why the definition of liberal contradicts with their views.

There is no left vs. right, no "liberal" vs. "conservative." It's greed for a few vs. prosperity for all, which side are you on?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-30-2014, 11:38 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1211 Times on 679 Posts
Likes Given: 507

As long as your barrel is chambered for 5.56, shooting Wolf ammo is not a problem. Most of the Wolf I have seen is in the .223 flavor, but I shoot that in my ARs too.

Steel cases do not expand as much as brass, so some gas leaks, so maybe after a couple hundred 1k cases of ammo you could have a problem. Not likely to happen to me in my lifetime with today's ammo prices.

Last edited by Gatoragn; 04-30-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Dahamp2003 Likes This 
Old 04-30-2014, 11:48 PM   #3
CJx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
As long as your barrel is chambered for 5.56, shooting Wolf ammo is not a problem. Most of the Wolf I have seen is in the .223 flavor, but I shoot that in my ARs too.

Steel cases do not expand as much as brass, so some gas leaks, so maybe after a couple hundred 1k cases of ammo you could have a problem. Not likely to happen to me in my lifetime with today's ammo prices.
What kind of problems would arise from gas leaks?

You might be a libertarian if you wonder why the definition of liberal contradicts with their views.

There is no left vs. right, no "liberal" vs. "conservative." It's greed for a few vs. prosperity for all, which side are you on?

Old 05-01-2014, 12:05 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2039 Times on 1413 Posts
Likes Given: 1043

Excessive fouling and potential malfunctions.

People Like This 
Old 05-01-2014, 12:06 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1211 Times on 679 Posts
Likes Given: 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJx View Post
What kind of problems would arise from gas leaks?
As long as you clean your gun at decent intervals, probably very little.

If the steel is lacqured, the lacquer can gunk up the chamber, again a proper cleaning will prevent this.

Also, you could experience some more carbon build up in the chamber from steel versus brass, but cleaning solves this.

I like to shoot, I have not taken up reloading, steel case ammo costs less. The benefit of less cost outweighs the possible steel case ammo problems to me.

YMMV

Last edited by Gatoragn; 05-04-2014 at 03:11 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-01-2014, 12:14 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 252 Times on 198 Posts

Personally, I think a lot of the Russian stuff is a decent option for the non-reloader. I've shot quite a bit of the zinc-plated Silver Bear, and it's accurate and reliable. The Silver Bear 62gr soft point/JHP is also a versatile bullet that can perform well for defense, range work, or varminting.

At times there can be feed issues with many of these rounds. They have a coating that (once things heat up after a few rounds) can lead to the cases having a sticky exterior.

The irony when it comes to Russian ammo, is that many cheap guns will struggle with it...yet the owners of such guns are of course among those who are most determined to make it work. that makes perfect sense. And many of the folks who have milpec/M16 BCG ARs that can digest it properly, prefer not to shoot it.

My guns tend to shoot Silver Bear well, and I shoot a bit of it. But I still mostly shoot brass. I consider the Russian SB to be a nice affordable contingecy plan. Not perfect, but an affordable and versatile option.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:17 AM   #7
CJx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
Personally, I think a lot of the Russian stuff is a decent option for the non-reloader. I've shot quite a bit of the zinc-plated Silver Bear, and it's accurate and reliable. The Silver Bear 62gr soft point/JHP is also a versatile bullet that can perform well for defense, range work, or varminting.

At times there can be feed issues with many of these rounds. They have a coating that (once things heat up after a few rounds) can lead to the cases having a sticky exterior.

The irony when it comes to Russian ammo, is that many cheap guns will struggle with it...yet the owners of such guns are of course among those who are most determined to make it work. that makes perfect sense. And many of the folks who have milpec/M16 BCG ARs that can digest it properly, prefer not to shoot it.

My guns tend to shoot Silver Bear well, and I shoot a bit of it. But I still mostly shoot brass. I consider the Russian SB to be a nice affordable contingecy plan. Not perfect, but an affordable and versatile option.
Silver Bear seems to navigate around the lacquer problem from what I've read, since it's not lacquer coated Some people say the lacquer coating problem is over-hyped and other will not shoot the stuff because of it.

Last edited by CJx; 05-01-2014 at 12:20 AM.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:20 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

well here's my take on steel ammo. some guns seem to shoot it just fine and some don't. all you can do is try some out and see how it works out for you.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:27 AM   #9
CJx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
well here's my take on steel ammo. some guns seem to shoot it just fine and some don't. all you can do is try some out and see how it works out for you.
What about the supposed extra wear and tear on the rifle? Any legitimacy to that?

Old 05-01-2014, 12:35 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJx View Post
What about the supposed extra wear and tear on the rifle? Any legitimacy to that?
honestly, IMO, i think it would depend on lots of factors. a lot of people shoot steel cased ammo with no problems.

i think most people sho do use large quantities of steel cased ammo are not looking for the Nth degree in accuracy to begin with.

but also consider this, Hornady in just the last couple of years is now offering match grade steel cased ammo is several calibers for competition shooting.