Wolf steel case accuracy
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Wolf steel case accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 01:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Wolf steel case accuracy

Just put the A3 flat top upper on my century built AR. Right up front, I do not care for the Russian ammo, but the polymer coated 62 grain stuff turned in 5 (3) shot groups under one inch center to center at 100 yards today. Not to clean burning, but accurate as heck. Beat any other stuff I had hands down. Other than cleaning, do you see any problems or possible damage to my SUR using this ammo?

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Don't blame the tool, blame the fool.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2009, 01:32 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

The plastic coating burns off and gums up the chamber.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:38 AM   #3

Default Matt, I know, durn it

I know, blast it, but this stuff shoots great in this weapon. Swab the chamber with thinner, then oil I guess.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Old 01-29-2009, 01:57 AM   #4

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyb13 View Post
Just put the A3 flat top upper on my century built AR. Right up front, I do not care for the Russian ammo, but the polymer coated 62 grain stuff turned in 5 (3) shot groups under one inch center to center at 100 yards today. Not to clean burning, but accurate as heck. Beat any other stuff I had hands down. Other than cleaning, do you see any problems or possible damage to my SUR using this ammo?
Let's see, cheap, accurate, burns dirty but cleans up and might gum-up the chamber. Mmmmmmm sure sounds like sh1t ammo to me!

Shoot the stuff, hell you could be a salesman for it! I shoot it exclusively (Wolf or Golden Tiger) and have never had a problem. I do however shoot a Roamy AK Ooops I mean an SUR-47 in 7.62.

Buy what you want for PD but you said the Ruski beats it with accuracy.

I refuse to piss away $ for brass I don't need to prevent a problem I don't have!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-29-2009, 01:58 AM   #5

Don'T know much about Ar's but it messed up the gasrod on my Yugo sks had to fire it like a bolt action i like to never got it cleaned nasty stuff.

"Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware."

Old 01-29-2009, 02:33 PM   #6

Before I knew better I used to shoot that stuff all the time (polymer coated). The biggest wear and tear it will cause will be to your extractor, and if you dot keep it well lubed you will probably get FTE malfuntions causing stuck cases often and the only cure will be remedial action.

-DM-

Old 01-29-2009, 02:50 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
In my opinion, for whatever that's worth , if it works in your particular gun and from what you say it works pretty well, then go for it. This topic comes up often on just about every firearms/ar forum out there, and every time it seemingly opens a can of worms.

Some say it will all melt into your works and gum up your package. Yet there are quite a few folks who have purposely used it at carbine classes and matches with no problems, even using it in top-shelf AR's. Just as there are some manufacturers who state NOT to use it in their AR's - or it could VOID your warranty.

Personally, I feel safer knowing that every AR in the house has and can shoot just about anything I feed them with no issues ( and YES - that is including the poly coated Wolf). Mainly for the reason that...what if that's all you had available? Would you then just give up the fight because it might gum up your gun? But then again, that's just my opinion, and in my guns.

I have used thousands of rounds of the lacquer and poly coated Wolf in my SKS's and Ak's without any issue. Yes, it does smell like "BBQ'ed cat crap" as someone so eloquently put it at the range. And Yes, it isn't the cleanest burning ammo out there. But hey..if it works for you and yours, then by all means, shoot it up. And if you don't like the poly coated, then buy some of their new brass .223 75gr. No, it isn't MATCH ammo, but it wasn't meant to be either. But I haven't had any problems with it either.

Slo

Old 01-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #8

I know there are no two guns alike. This particular one just likes this ammo. I put 200 rounds of this stuff thru it without a hic-up. Cleaned it good. I really can't see a problem with it in this AR. BBQ cat crap, Like to have lmao on that part.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Old 01-30-2009, 03:11 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I know there are no two guns alike. This particular one just likes this ammo. I put 200 rounds of this stuff thru it without a hic-up. Cleaned it good. I really can't see a problem with it in this AR. BBQ cat crap, Like to have lmao on that part.
I tried it out in a couple of mine at first, a Bushy and a RRA. Both had no probs with it. So then I went ahead and tried it in a Stag, a LMT, and recently in my Noveske. Again, NO PROBLEMO I'm starting to wonder if all the negative publicity is all hype started by the local ammo makers

I typically use it in my VEPR and in a SAR-3, so I usually have a bit of it around, both in .223 and 7.62x39. After reading all the nay-sayers and dooms-day-prophesizers about using it in an AR, the non-lemming/sheeple in me said..."why not?" I watched a couple gun-mag-writers using cases of it at carbine classes, in AR's that you were NOT supposed to use it in, with NO ISSUES! In almost every magazine I get, I always find several reviews/gun tests on AR's where the author/tester has included it in the ammo he/she used for testing, again with no mentions of any issues. Sure there are those manufacturers out there that advise against it. I think most of that comes from the old lacquer coated Wolf, that caused the problems. Or from improperly maintained guns. I don't know exactly what caused them to have whatever issues/malfunctions they had, but like I said, to each his own.

I will continue to use the poly steel and their latest brass in .223, because I have it handy, it works in my guns, and it's cheaper than what I keep for SD or accuracy work. For practice and plinking, it's cheap and available - and I think I'm getting used to the smell of BBQ'ed cat crap

Slo

Last edited by slowryde45; 01-30-2009 at 03:14 PM. Reason: to correct my fat finger typing

Old 01-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #10

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
I tried it out in a couple of mine at first, a Bushy and a RRA. Both had no probs with it. So then I went ahead and tried it in a Stag, a LMT, and recently in my Noveske. Again, NO PROBLEMO I'm starting to wonder if all the negative publicity is all hype started by the local ammo makers
I think it’s a combination of several things. Initially the bad press was directed to the lacquer finish used on earlier (much earlier) ammo. Hell they didn’t care, the gunner probably died before his rifle gummed-up anyway. As the user base shifted from conscripts to consumers, the factory needed to stay in business and looked for a more durable (read; current technology as opposed to middle age work-around) finish.

Presto, polymer was introduced which has a higher melt point than the old lacquer and solved a big part of the lacquer-gumming issue.

Come on guys, drop the snob BS and try the cheap ammo. Just let it go. If it works use it, if it doesn’t, don’t! Duh…….

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello